Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Ami

Contractor Issues

We are having some serious problems with our contractors. :(

Anyone knows how we get this settled? Any organisation in Singapore which can assist us in getting the outstanding works completed? Or something along that line?

Edited by Ami

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Wah, so bad terms aldy ar? :(

From wad i know, there's a organisation who does these surveying jobs... They act as 3rd party to resolve matters between owners n contractors... I'll try to get the contacts for u...

Maybe u can try tis?

http://www.case.org.sg/

I wonder HBay or Radac can assist anot...

(Sry ar, i never face tis senerio b4)

Edited by de_Pierre

What's wrong with your contractor? payment paid? Mine also has got attitude problem.

That's why always withhold the final payment till everything is make sure ok then pay. There's also the avenue of Small Claims Tribunal.

Ya loh, we tried to keep our cool and give him the benefit of doubt when things started to go wrong. He keeps doing things his own way, taking matters into his own hands. Ask him do "A", he will go do "B" without consulting us and when confronted, he will say it's nicer to do this way.

THIS IS OUR HOUSE, NOT HIS! I JUST WANT HIM TO DO IT OUR WAY!

And not on just ONE occasion, but many I lost count!

The thing is, HE IS THE BOSS.

What's wrong with your contractor? payment paid? Mine also has got attitude problem.

That's why always withhold the final payment till everything is make sure ok then pay. There's also the avenue of Small Claims Tribunal.

He alot of problems. Can say one thing now, then say another the next day! He don't honor his words one, very annoying. I think payment already 80% there, but still got works outstanding so I think now is he owe us.

Got attitude problem, never mind. As long as he do his job well, do things and designs OUR way and stop pushing the blame to us (ie: tell him want socket next to windows, then when he forgot to do, he will say we didn't tell him!), we are fine by it.

He is making our blood boil everytime we talk to him!!

Can we go small claims in this case?

Wah, so bad terms aldy ar? :(

From wad i know, there's a organisation who does these surveying jobs... They act as 3rd party to resolve matters between owners n contractors... I'll try to get the contacts for u...

Maybe u can try tis?

http://www.case.org.sg/

I wonder HBay or Radac can assist anot...

(Sry ar, i never face tis senerio b4)

CASE handle owners and contractors issue one meh??

Now, the thing is. Can he stop works just like that (though we haven't heard anything to say he would but just in case!)?

There is an organisation, maybe is Radac where they will send a group of prof. to look into both parties,: owner and contractor's dispute.

A chargeable fee of $500/- is to be pd prior to site examination.

Hi Ami, to be frank, i not really sure of RADAC, but can approach CASE...

(u should visit tis webby http://www.case.org.sg/ )

But i do encourage u to talk wif ur contractor, come to a decision... Give him ur exact requirements n date line for completion...

If he's still being so un-cooperative, u might as well demand cash refund for those items which is undone lor.

Lets do it with senses n the rightful way...

Hold ur temper 1st... RELAX n smile...

Edited by de_Pierre

I also had a little bit of your kind of encounter. I saw some wrong things, I called for stop work, they still proceed. Here is what my findings:

RADAC: no use if that contractor is not RADAC-registered. I suspected no, otherwise won't be a contractor, will be an ID.

CASE: no use also. It's just a Hello Kitty, i.e no mouth to talk.

SCT: Can have some action. Just need to go down pay $10 or so to get things start rolling. But this is the ultimal, meaning u are using court action upon him. Also meaning to say u will need to gather evidence i.e SMS, pictures, signed quotation, writings, emails etc.

Your mistake: over paying, letting him proceed when u called for stop work.

Remedy: Do everything in writing. In every meeting, take down notes of what had been discussed. Take pictures, give detail drawings, paste on the wall, so nobody can say someone didn't tell him. Withhold payment until things are done according to contract or in writing.

How to do a real stop work: lock the door or change the lock. or if u can, shoot him with a lawyer letter to wake him up.

Great information for this thread....

I had some issues with my ID too...

Though it is resolved eventually, he keeps saying that it is out of goodwill that he is doing for us..

He says that if he ask HDB people to come see, they sure say he is okay de and we have to pay the auditor $500... I called HDB and they say that they do not provide or do such things...

So is he telling me the truth or what?

I have no intention to blow up the whole situation but not too happy with his service...

One of the issues that happened, our tiles not aligned and his reason was the ceiling is of different height... so he keeps saying that the HDB people will approve de so he is changing the tiles for us out of goodwill...

Go to other contractors and they sure wont do it de....Is he right???

Great information for this thread....

I had some issues with my ID too...

Though it is resolved eventually, he keeps saying that it is out of goodwill that he is doing for us..

He says that if he ask HDB people to come see, they sure say he is okay de and we have to pay the auditor $500... I called HDB and they say that they do not provide or do such things...

So is he telling me the truth or what?

I have no intention to blow up the whole situation but not too happy with his service...

One of the issues that happened, our tiles not aligned and his reason was the ceiling is of different height... so he keeps saying that the HDB people will approve de so he is changing the tiles for us out of goodwill...

Go to other contractors and they sure wont do it de....Is he right???

HDB don't bother abt these reno conflicts between owner n contractors... Its other organisations which associates with the governmentary boards does tad... I rem i heard of tis $500 auditor b4, but cant rem wad associations...

Wad u mean by saying ur tiles not aligned? Wall tiles?

FYI. All wall tiles r being laid using alignments of water leveling, regardless of horizontally or vertically. Cant take the floor as alignment bcs flooring at kitchen n toilets r in "running water level". Existing Ceiling is also not straight n level evenly...

With tis, u should be able to comment ur contractor liao... :dancingqueen:

Hmm... just wondering if I just go CASE directly instead of allowing him to hire the "auditor" if I am really unhappy...

Is it okay?

He hacked off all the wall tiles eventually after we insist that we do not want to build cabinets to cover the wall tiles that are not aligned...

Actually what my hubby and I are looking for is a sincere apology and not telling us that he is doing out of goodwill.... not obligated to do for us de....

Hmm... just wondering if I just go CASE directly instead of allowing him to hire the "auditor" if I am really unhappy...

Is it okay?

He hacked off all the wall tiles eventually after we insist that we do not want to build cabinets to cover the wall tiles that are not aligned...

Actually what my hubby and I are looking for is a sincere apology and not telling us that he is doing out of goodwill.... not obligated to do for us de....

Aiyoyo, u dun like tad unaligned tiles, so he took initiative to hack n redo liao lor... The cabinets suppose to be there or only after tis incident then he propose cabinet to cover those tiles?

There's no 100% in worksmanship de, Workers r also human wif feelings de ma... Sometimes will miscue abit de... (Even machine will also break down) Ur contractor also dun wish these unhappy things to happen also ma... Maybe his way of putting his apologise is in the wrong format of wad u expected. So long the thing is rectified w/o any outstandings, dun take it too hard la...

The old chinese saying goes... ren yi shi, feng ping lang jin, tui yi bu, hai kuo tian kong...

:sport-smiley-018:

Not supposed to have cabinets there de... He suggested it so that no need to hack but we decide to hack cos we simply feel that the wall tiles not aligned... cannot accept lar....

I also know men all got faults... thats y, everytime things go wrong, what both of us expect is just sorry... When we that, we count wrongly or something lar...

I tell u, my hubby very chin chye de... he was telling me, if the ID had bothered with a simple apology sincerely, he would have taken his suggestion... But cos he can tell ceiling this lar... that lar... cannot blame them lar.....

Then not even a slightest hint of apology.... that is what pisses us off... Say sorry so difficult meh?