Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kyarx

Questions On Painting

My contractor charging me $1400 for painting(new 5rm). 5 colours choices and any branded paint selection except All-In-one types... he is willing to plaster for minor cracks but wants to charge if plaster more.

Just like to know what's the normal market practice? A $1400 package should normally be inclusive of what items (e.g. plaster whole house, number of coats)? Appreciate any comments. :(

BTW I query him why some walls look like they have creases after painting, he said its becoz the painters repainted when the paint is still wet...is it true?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

The price is on the high end side... As for the creases, you can google for paint defects and compare with the pictures. It may be improper base coat...

Creases can be caused by several issues...

1st - Improper base coating, painting of 2nd coat when 1st layer isn't

dry completely.

2nd - Applying of paint sealant is needed before applying emulsion paint

on new plastered walls.

3rd - Which is unlikely to happen, the wall is damp which does not

show any visible sign of any wetness, the whole wall of paintings is

awful, paints might peel off gradually... tis only can happen in

damp areas.... Just like water spooling at toilets in matured HDB flats..

(pls correct me if i'm wrong, thks in advance...)

Edited by de_Pierre

You should be glad becos I'm quoted $1500 for painting my 3-room flat including sealant $300 and Yep, I dumped that contractor!

Edited by pinkitsch

You should be glad becos I'm quoted $1500 for painting my 3-room flat including sealant $300 and Yep, I dumped that contractor!

As a contractor myself, $1500 for 5 room is not expensive although you may able be able to bargain and hunt a more hungry contractor which may quote $1300. But of course it is always what the home owner want to trade-off for that $200 difference.

for example

contractor A charge $1500

contractor B charge $1300

in term of tangible value seem contractor B is better. However come make decision, I would believe those intangible value such as dealing and total experience, quality and after sales service do count too. I would say contractor B is cheaper if A & B has same intangible value.

This is just my two cents worth.

Hi

Why dont you try the painting service offered by the paint companies such as nippon. Currently i am planning to do that. Any one who already tried professional services offered by them.

thanks

Hi

Why dont you try the painting service offered by the paint companies such as nippon. Currently i am planning to do that. Any one who already tried professional services offered by them.

thanks

I totally agreed

If the Paint company can do it at a price level say $1300 for a 5 room unit... Then all sub con & painting company should charge lesser than these paint company... say like $1100 cos afterall the same group of sub con or painters also do for these mpaint companies in some instances... 8|

Afterall i think ICI or Nippon painting services cannot be lesser quality than the market right... their reputation as a Paint company would be at stake... :deal:

I think their price shd be taken as a bench mark.... :yamseng:

Hi.. i'm new here.. just do a bit research on all the renovations thingy..

btw wanna ask u all, usually when do flat reno, which will be done first? is it the painting will be done first?

Can help me to deliberate what are the stages like? I'm interested in a minor renovations for bathrooms, kitchen, carpentry, and paintings..

Thanks in advance :)

:dancingqueen:

Hi.. i'm new here.. just do a bit research on all the renovations thingy..

btw wanna ask u all, usually when do flat reno, which will be done first? is it the painting will be done first?

Can help me to deliberate what are the stages like? I'm interested in a minor renovations for bathrooms, kitchen, carpentry, and paintings..

Thanks in advance :)

For painting, check if the painter allows 2 trips. If yes, The rough sequence are:

1. demolition works,

2. wet works, window (if any)

3. electrical cabling/ plumbing, Aircon trunking,

4. partition/ ceiling work.

5. Parquet/ laminate flooring

--- 1st layer of painting (Main job or to complete ceiling paint) ---

6. First washing & clearing of debris, floor covering board/ plastic

7. Carpentary

--- 2nd layer (as 2nd coat if theres 2 trips - Mainly is to touch up)

8. Window Grilles

9. Light installation

Think the above is roughly correct.... :dancingqueen:

Actually from Nippon website, they do provide $1500 package for supreme paints. But not sure if this includes "wall preparation" such as plastering or sanding even surfaces. Going to check it out with them tml. :) BTW thanks for all the useful tips fellows.

I am not sure how my contractor would charge for painting alone.

He did the whole renovation for us, didn't specify how many color can I choose... Seems no limit.

And his painting would include main gate, doors, frames, ceilings & pipes. He will help us plaster some stripes left by HDB original deisgn in the wall as well...

The quotation for painting alone is quoted S$950. Quite reasonable...

My house is 4-room HDB flat... 90sqm. We upgraded to Odour-less range Nippon with another 200$.

:dancingqueen:

If you are interested, you may look for my contractor

Jackson from Homely Image... I don't know whether can paste number or not... You may PM me if you need his number.

I recently asked a paint shop about painting services and they just offered me their contractor's contacts. BTW, I've a mansionette with paint jobs offered in the range of $1800-2200. I decided to just DIY.

Frankly, I think it is best to go with the contractor that you are comfortable working with la, instead of looking at individual items' costing. They need to make profit and when they give you an itemised list costs they just add that profit into some of the items (presumably the most expensive ones). If they quote cheaper for the paint works some other items will be more expensive, makes me feel as if it's quite futile to do such comparisons. Just my personal opinion...

Hi all, I actually completed my 5 rm painting not long ago at the price of 1,500 inclusive of doors and main gates. It includes basic plastering and up to 6 color choices of ICI/ Nippon. They actually apply a base coat before doing up the actual paints. I used Light & space for my flat. Overall look quite spacious after that.

Initially was thinking to take up ICI/ Nippon but they charge separetely for the doors. Is it too expensive?