Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ylucy

Concrete Support For Basin?

Previously when contact with some contractors, Some of them mention, they will construct concrete support for basin.

But my contractor will not construct this for us.

Is this concrete support necessary? Would the cabinet hold the solid surface plus cooker etc?

Mine is about 13ft long kitchen cabinet with solid surface top. Is it durable without concrete support for basin area?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Is this concrete support necessary? - NO

Would the cabinet hold the solid surface plus cooker etc? - Yes

Is it durable without concrete support for basin area? - Yes if you waterproof the wood support ply area with sealer before installing the basin.

Well, I have concrete support for my basin & stove.

Want to have concrete support is really up to individual. With the humid weather in Sgp, I just want to have a peace of mind without worrying that water will slowly find its way into the wooden cabinet later on.

Do make sure your contractor apply waterproof sealer generously on all the joint/edge areas for your wooden cabinet.

I agree... Concrete Base a little "passe" liao

if u r open n asethetic is more important, then without a base...

If u are more concern... n want the base to last longer, concrete base is good but there again... have to sacrifice the look a bit lor...

:notti:

I agree... Concrete Base a little "passe" liao

if u r open n asethetic is more important, then without a base...

If u are more concern... n want the base to last longer, concrete base is good but there again... have to sacrifice the look a bit lor...

:notti:

Hmm... I think I didn't make myself clear... I have concrete base... But I mean to lay the concrete bricks vertically, until basin. Something like building two low walls to suround the basin.. Just to make the support, as Basin area normally put heavy pot or a lot of plates etc...

Not sure whether the normal shelfing can support so heavy things or not... :bangwall:

Edited by ylucy

i have a concrete sink support too

personally went for it coz i'm using a composite sink so the weight is already there

then add to it all the chopping, washing and leaning

and take into consideration the possibility of leakage, both from the pipes and the seams... :notti:

you can check out here for how it looks :yamseng:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?au...;showentry=3372

sink support is not old fashion, it's practical. It can still look modern and nice depending on the designer. :notti:

Actually sink support is to make the solid surface strong? Only two walls will made of bricks the rest enclosing the sink is it also made of wood?

Actually sink support is to make the solid surface strong? Only two walls will made of bricks the rest enclosing the sink is it also made of wood?

Sink support is not to make your solid surface strong, it is just to provide support to whatever you place on top of it, ie. your sink, stove & solid surface.

The base of all our kitchen cabinet is cement-built. This sink support is to build 2 walls using bricks at both side. The rest of your cabinet frame structure will be made of wood if you wanted it. This wood frame can hide/cover your bricks wall if you find it too old fashion :P

I even asked my contractor to build another bricks wall in the centre of my long kitchen cabinet where I do my chopping work.

I even asked my contractor to build another bricks wall in the centre of my long kitchen cabinet where I do my chopping work.

how much did u top up to get them build bricks wall for supporting cabinet?

Actually the concrete vertical stand is not so critical as the a concrete top. Reasons are

it is strength you need laterally that is the horizontal top solidity that you need. especially if you are pounding on the sink drain area.

Therefore if you are kiasu, then the right way is to add another support mid way on the kitchen top. In the sink area it will need a larger/more rail support on its sides.

Concrete support is also strong cos there are iron rods around the sink insert and require the concrete vertical support just to support the horizontal concrete slab weight.

Sink support is not to make your solid surface strong, it is just to provide support to whatever you place on top of it, ie. your sink, stove & solid surface.- therefore there is no need to build just the vertical concrete without a concrete slab on because with 2 piece of ply you are able to take a lot of vertical loading as it is. That's way you can safely stand on it even if it is ply but not the front edge of sink or hob. :)

how much did u top up to get them build bricks wall for supporting cabinet?

I paid $1,300 for it. Can't remember the exact length now, I think it is around 8 or 9 feet.

i think most, if not all, concrete sink support will consist of the two concrete 'legs' AND the concrete top

so far have not seen anyone's concrete support coming without the concrete top :dunno:

The latest design of constructing concrete sink/stove support...

U can do concrete support wif solid surface worktop, n bottom as common cabinet, appearance can be as nomal kitchen cabinets...

Jus by telling ur contractor by constructing the depth of concrete support shorter...

By paying abit more, u can get the toughness n appearance...