Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
LadyLuck

What Is The Best Way To Handle Subordinate

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

maybe i set some example of difficult subordinate :-

- Unclear Boundaries;People who cross these boundaries without permission

- people who makes unreasonable demands on your time, resources, & attention.

- Someone who is inefficient, unfocussed, & obsessed with details.Someone who doesn’t respect personal & professional boundaries.

- Someone who doesn’t play by the rules

- Someone who blames you & others for his / her mistakes.

Hi ladyluck,

hmmm...not quite sure what u mean by unclear boundaries...has that person bypass your authority and went straight to your boss? Have you ever had a good talk (be nice!) with that person and let him know that it's unacceptable and you'd prefer he discuss with you first before going to your boss?

I'd a really bad face-off with my manager before and she was one big @*?-hole. I wasn't aware that I can't go directly to my boss for his signature/approval of my projects and had to discuss every little things with her and MAN, she did make my life **** from there. Before u jump in at me, let me explain. I'd to approach our boss becos she's always not around for any discussion (busy with customers, out on sales call or meetings) so I thought it's alrite to get our boss for my project approvals.

Of course, your subordinate deserves a beating if he always pushes his responsibility around and blames others for his mistakes but he also deserves a good talking to for he might not know he'd 'crossed your boundaries'.

Be nice & good luck!

ps: if he still behaves as if he owns the world after talking to him, report his bad behaviour to your boss and leaves him to your management's discretion.

~just my 2cents hor~

anyway just to add, I'd promised myself to work hard in my job so that if i ever have to deal with that manager again, she better makes sure she's not my subordinate or supplier cos she's definitely won't be having it easy.

So the moral of the story is, be nice and leave a way-out for others as you might not know when you'll be needing that person's help instead. Singapore so small, anything's possible right?

pinkitsch, good luck to u ya.

for me is those who unclear boundaries like, go ahead to purchases things or make decision /acts without consulting or get permission. noting to do with bypass superior to top. at least u go to the top,tat noting wrong as long your consult somebody higher level.

about the push mistake to others, making he/she has always full of reason when things not done or delay.. example had already told her but she 4get and yet say we din say. :S

and more la. bring secretly bring stranger up to office premises when office closed without permission .

Working very slow and tilly dally during office hour and work late jus to use company internet and internet chatting due to home no internet.

always come late or frequently absents from work, like MC MC MC or Late late late..

internet chatting is ok with me if the works no delay

been treating her very nice and accomodating and care for her feeling & very diplomatic wth kind words.

example we use the words "Consult" to replace the word "Get Permission"

complaint boring, and i get her a speaker but mus on soft volumn.

and yet sigh..

everyday we encourage her to go home on dot..

i jus dun get it. she seems to hate the words go back on dot??

Edited by LadyLuck

:unsure:

Hi LadyLuck,

Was replying someone's PM, saw your message. Try these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Situational_leadership

http://www.grad.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_pa...r/p!epmXjFc

Most importantly, do not complain about your staff to your supervisor unless you have clear reasons for disciplinary action (e.g. bringing unauthorised persons to office premises, or consistently under-performing according to previously agreed measures). Otherwise, it will only reflect badly on your "poor leadership".

Good luck! :yamseng:

hi ladyluck

Judging by what you say about your staff's behaviour, i think she's hopeless! Bringing strangers into the office without permission already amounts to disciplinary action leh. The company's internet is meant for business, not for chit-chats. Moreover, she's always late or on MC. I'd have asked her to go before probation's up or give her 1 weeks' notice to find another job.

goodluck to u2!

i think u should sit her down and talk to her and give her a warning.

if all else fails, fire her! with this economic situation, these kinda staff shouldn't exist. ther'esmore eagers ppl out there!

anyway, it has been close to 3 mths since u last posted, how is it going?