Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lakaik

S And S’s Love Nest

Wah I really wanted to do this sub-con thing but after long talks with parents we decided not to cos not sure how. Really excited to see how you guys turn ouT!! Must be good!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Bishan v nice place. My first choice, but no luck lah. COV $8K is very good deal.

When I was flat-hunting there, everyone asked for $25K and above, but I was looking at the block 210 area (slightly newer I think). I almost put my $ down for 2 places, than 1 jacked COV up to $45k after valuation report came out, another 1 my friend said fengshui no good, cos living room can see front of MRT train, bedroom can see tail of MRT train. He said like train cut through the house.

Looking forward to seeing the new look :)

Spam chop and congrates on ur new home!

Hehehe... Agree with Deepwhite! Hehehe.. Very clever to reserve the space first. hehe.. Looking forward to ur reno transformation! :D

Congrats on your new home!

Can share your quotation for your total overhaul?

Good luck :yamseng:

You got my PM !

Very clever hor... I am thinking what are those "reserved" for... now I know... :notti::notti::notti:

It is a good idea to engage contractor as they can provide better material when they earn a bit more..

kekeke, everytime we see other T-Blogs, need to browse page by page to look for photos, so we decided to paste all photos at first page and follow by the chat sessions...

Wah I really wanted to do this sub-con thing but after long talks with parents we decided not to cos not sure how. Really excited to see how you guys turn ouT!! Must be good!

Till date, most of the major items done. Carpentry will be up this week. Now is kind of rewind back what had been done in the past weeks. Need time to compile photos, and we are super busy + lazy... hahaha 8|

Yeah, we also afraid of the coordination works before we decided to use sub-contractors. But end up it is not as hard as we think. Zero hiccups so far... kekekeke.

Bishan v nice place. My first choice, but no luck lah. COV $8K is very good deal.

When I was flat-hunting there, everyone asked for $25K and above, but I was looking at the block 210 area (slightly newer I think). I almost put my $ down for 2 places, than 1 jacked COV up to $45k after valuation report came out, another 1 my friend said fengshui no good, cos living room can see front of MRT train, bedroom can see tail of MRT train. He said like train cut through the house.

Looking forward to seeing the new look :)

Ours is opposite RI that side... 1 bus stop away from MRT. I think we are very lucky, the owner never expect valuation to be that high. As we have been looking around that area, we kind of expect the COV to be around 10K as this is 2nd highest floor with lots of build in cabinets....The agent also help to push up the valuation price...kekeke :sport-smiley-003:

:yamseng:

Edited by lakaik

hi eddieadc n lakaik..

Really admire ur courage of getting group of sub-cons. Always thought it wld b gd to hv the kinda of "hands-on" mindset esp in renovating ur own nest.. rather than so-called- ID's :good:

Btw, mind breaking down the overhaul u guys r going thru now? e.g.. hacking.. elect.. carpentary. If possible wld like find out the overall cost in reno n ur contractors contacts also.. kindly pm me.. thanks alot

keen to know the break down too. If possible, can share the main con contact as well?

Did you design what to do on your own and just convey ur ideas to the main con?

Wow...really hands on and hardworking... your house is really a labour of love. Looking forward to seeing the photos...Pics! Pics! Pics! hehe :D

hi eddieadc n lakaik..

Really admire ur courage of getting group of sub-cons. Always thought it wld b gd to hv the kinda of "hands-on" mindset esp in renovating ur own nest.. rather than so-called- ID's :good:

Btw, mind breaking down the overhaul u guys r going thru now? e.g.. hacking.. elect.. carpentary. If possible wld like find out the overall cost in reno n ur contractors contacts also.. kindly pm me.. thanks alot

mind telling me your overhaul reno also please :) my flat is the same layout as yours in simei :)

keen to know the break down too. If possible, can share the main con contact as well?

Did you design what to do on your own and just convey ur ideas to the main con?

Wahh... so many ppl looking for contacts, we havent update the photos leh. Just for everyone info, our tiler can only take one job at a time, if i am not mistaken he has been booked for 2 projects after ours. He only has himself + 2 workers. He has ~ 30 yrs experience, so you can roughly guess how old also.... Better let us ask him first before we disclose his contact, later he feel disturbing by receiving calls every mins... :P

For other sub-contractors, I can PM you guys 2nite. :) All contacts with my hb. hehe

Oh ya, we do our own space planning (shy to mention it as "design"), we just convey our ideas to the cons, just like how you usually do if you have been visiting IDs. Usually the so called IDs will ask you what do you intend to do also. Is about the same.

Edited by lakaik

New photos updated ya! Our reno should be done next week. Furnitures had been ordered (from JB) and will be delivered next Sunday. Will share the furniture photos soon... :notti:

We decided to disclose the sub-contractors nos only after everything completed :notti: . We will only recommend sub-cons who really take pride in their job. :notti:

If you are really urgent (Seriously can't wait until next week :jawdrop: ), you may PM me.

Our quotation do not have detailed break down because they are all sub-cons. We pay them individually. Some don't mind if we only pay after their job done. Sort of a testament that they are very confident with their workmanship and dont mind to collect $ only after their job done.

Eg for our quotation for wet works included : tiles (floor + wall), water proofing, construct a wall, construct kitchen cabinet support wall, door frames, box up louve window above doors with cements, rectify slanded walls & spoiling concrete, mbr toilet sink support using tiles, refuse chute, kitchen base...etc arggg....all in one lump sum.

The accurate quotation was only given to us after we select our tiles. Cause our tiler only charged based on labour cost, he helped us to order from tile shops because contractor can get 15 - 20% off the tile price we usually see in the shop. He calculated the tile cost + his labour & sand cost and give us all in 1 total sum. Along the way we added some small small things, he doesnt mind to do it FOC.

We are paying the tiler from time to time, as and when we think necessary (for him to pay for the materials), altho' he never ask us for $. We have given him another cheque last week, we mentioned that we will only pay him the rest once everything done. All small small items he will not calculate with us.

He is not calculative, so we are not calculative.....hahaha

Other like re-wiring with designer switches also one lump sum - a definite value for money - as compared to IDs price. The electrician workmanship is xuper good. He doesnt mind to come so many times for our convenience and will only fix the sockets position after re-confirm with us.

Of course you cannot expect a lot of savings by using sub-cons. Some of the quotations may NOT have stark difference comparing to ID and DEFINITELY NOT the cheapest you can find in the market. Hahaha...afterall, we want quality, so pay a little tiny bit premium to the subcons.....still far cheaper than IDs. :notti:

We do not have a lot of carpentry works, we do not have all these nice tinted mirrors, we also don't have wallpapers...We are not doing something fancy, not something with WOW effect... it is just a place we call home. Eveyday we visit our new home (we drop by before we go back to AMK after work), we leave with a smile glued on our face. Can't wait to move in... hehehe

Edited by lakaik

New photos updated ya! Our reno should be done next week. Furnitures has been ordered (from JB) and will be delivered next Sunday. Will share the furniture photos soon... :notti:

Just asking where in JB that you got your furnitures? Do share with us on the picture as I am thinking to get some from here as well... Thanks... :sport-smiley-004::sport-smiley-004:

Just asking where in JB that you got your furnitures? Do share with us on the picture as I am thinking to get some from here as well... Thanks... :sport-smiley-004::sport-smiley-004:

Can can, let me compile the photos tonight... ;)

By the way, if you are planning to shop around JB, you may ask yourself first what kind of furniture you expecting. If you are looking for those made in China furniture, i suggest you may look around sg local furniture shop like nova all these, cause the price will be around the same after GST.

One important thing to take note, please shop for furniture at least 1 month before your move in date esp those imported from oversea like China (except Malaysia). Please do not wait until last minute or you may ended up buying display set...

Buying lights from JB is really cheap... if you havent get yours, you may consider it. We bought our 7 inch DL lights (double tubes) after conversion only ~ SGD 15-16 :o Similar model in Singapore will cost >SGD32. When shopping for lights in JB, you don't really need to look at the price first, just choose whatever you like... cause after conversion... still cheap cheap :sport-smiley-004:

Edited by lakaik

New photos updated ya! Our reno should be done next week. Furnitures had been ordered (from JB) and will be delivered next Sunday. Will share the furniture photos soon... :notti:

We decided to disclose the sub-contractors nos only after everything completed :notti: . We will only recommend sub-cons who really take pride in their job. :notti:

If you are really urgent (Seriously can't wait until next week :jawdrop: ), you may PM me.

Our quotation do not have detailed break down because they are all sub-cons. We pay them individually. Some don't mind if we only pay after their job done. Sort of a testament that they are very confident with their workmanship and dont mind to collect $ only after their job done.

Eg for our quotation for wet works included : tiles (floor + wall), water proofing, construct a wall, construct kitchen cabinet support wall, door frames, box up louve window above doors with cements, rectify slanded walls & spoiling concrete, mbr toilet sink support using tiles, refuse chute, kitchen base...etc arggg....all in one lump sum.

The accurate quotation was only given to us after we select our tiles. Cause our tiler only charged based on labour cost, he helped us to order from tile shops because contractor can get 15 - 20% off the tile price we usually see in the shop. He calculated the tile cost + his labour & sand cost and give us all in 1 total sum. Along the way we added some small small things, he doesnt mind to do it FOC.

We are paying the tiler from time to time, as and when we think necessary (for him to pay for the materials), altho' he never ask us for $. We have given him another cheque last week, we mentioned that we will only pay him the rest once everything done. All small small items he will not calculate with us.

Other like re-wiring with designer switches also one lump sum - a definite value for money - as compared to IDs price. The electrician workmanship is xuper good. He doesnt mind to come so many times for our convenience and will only fix the sockets position after re-confirm with us.

Of course you cannot expect a lot of savings by using sub-cons. Some of the quotations may NOT have stark difference comparing to ID and DEFINITELY NOT the cheapest you can find in the market. Hahaha...afterall, we want quality, so pay a little tiny bit premium to the subcons.....still far cheaper than IDs. :notti:

We do not have a lot of carpentry works, we do not have all these nice tinted mirrors, we also don't have wallpapers...We are not doing something fancy, not something with WOW effect... it is just a place we call home. Eveyday we visit our new home (we drop by before we go back to AMK after work), we leave with a smile glued on our face. Can't wait to move in... hehehe

hey lakaik..

Cant help it to b envious but i do also share that joy n smile on ur face rite now... Its indeed nice to hv something in mind which u've a chance to built it in hand with ur love ones.. 3X :yamseng:.

Again ur concept of sub-con is something admirable :thumbs up: and maybe if next year i'm able to find a ideal resale place for my future wife n parent i may follow suit. Which is why m lurking ard renotalk on n off for the rite ideas n rite reliable contacts.. With the gloomy clouds ahead next year, by knowing what ur contractors or wat ID's r doing.. i think we shld b able to spend sparingly.. b frugal n thrifty.

Anyway, do personally felt that current trend or "ideas" by some ID's is to hv lots of carpentry works.. which somehow mark-up the overall budget or a bigger hole in ones pockets... :seeya:

Sound like you have a dream team there :dancingqueen:

Great workmanship and good teamwork, responsible and trusting and reasonable pricing :dribble:

...pay a bit of premium for quality work is justifiable la :D

Glad to know that you are very happy with your reno progress....eagerly awaiting your pics :sport-smiley-018: