Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
KATHLAM

Floorking Works

Hi just to share with you on my bad experience on the above.

I had just changed my living hall and 3 bedrooms with 60 X 60 homogenous tiles. The work was completed a week agao.

They only hacked the surface flooring and just remove the existing titles. At that time when I asked the contractor, I was advised that it was not necessary to hack in depth as they used special paste.

Upon completion, I asked the same question again on the hacking and I was surprised that the contractor said they only quoted me the price for hacking the surface. Therefore be careful when the next time you request quotation for the hacking job.

My understanding from another contractor of hacking is that they will hack the flooring in depth and to lay a new cement before laying new tiles.

There are many uneven tiles and the contractor said it was due to the quality of tiles and not their poor workmanship. There is no way that they could solve this problem. Could the uneven tiles due to the hacking not thorough?

Flooring skirting very rough & uneven. I blamed their workmanship and the contractor will resolve this problem.

There are many rough surface in between the tiles and the contractor said it can be polished.

Anyone here has just renovated their house and the hacking job is done similar to mine?

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Thank you

Edited by KATHLAM

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

My experience is diff from yours... My contractor hacked my kitchen floor to a certain depth, applied a new cement & laid new tiles... But the flooring is kind of uneven... some grout gaps are wider, some tiles are a bit higher then its neighbour... The tiler told me it was due to the poor quality of this batch of kitchen tiles... He said there is nothing much he could do.

Rough surface between tiles? These are the grout lines. How to polish without damaging the tiles? Well, if your contractor said it can be polished, get him to do the work, else don't pay him :notti:

My experience is diff from yours... My contractor hacked my kitchen floor to a certain depth, applied a new cement & laid new tiles... But the flooring is kind of uneven... some grout gaps are wider, some tiles are a bit higher then its neighbour... The tiler told me it was due to the poor quality of this batch of kitchen tiles... He said there is nothing much he could do.

Rough surface between tiles? These are the grout lines. How to polish without damaging the tiles? Well, if your contractor said it can be polished, get him to do the work, else don't pay him :notti:

Hi thanks for sharing. Actually it was a force renovation due to popping tiles in the living room (Design & Build) and I there decided to change change the entire flooring including the 3 bedrooms.

In private arrangement, I have to pay S$2,000 for the living room flooring (affter HDB's compensation) and S$3,100 for the 3 bedrooms flooring, pricing included tiles, hacking, labour & chemical. An outstanding payment of S$1,550.

The contractor only hacked off the existing tiles and did not hack the flooring to a certain depth and did not lay a new cement before laying new tiles. When I asked him why only hacked the surface, he said this is the correct method so that the tiles will not pop up easily.

As advised by another contractor, hacking should be carried out more thoroughly ie hacking the flooring in depth and lay a new cement before laying the new tiles.

The tiles which I purchased is S$3.80 pft and the supplier said the uneven flooring cannot be due to their tiles.

The contrator advised that HDB only compensate him couple of hundreds to hack & relay ceremic tiles for the living room and therefore he could only provide hacking of the surface.

Today I had feedback to HDB and pending for their reply.

Sad......

Your house is Design and Build, at where?

I also Design and Build.

In this case, do you have to re-do all the tiling again? how about your kitchen flooring, bathrooms, are they alright?

Your house is Design and Build, at where?

I also Design and Build.

In this case, do you have to re-do all the tiling again? how about your kitchen flooring, bathrooms, are they alright?

Is D&B @ Senja Road.

So far all the flooring ok except the living hall pop-up. No choice had to re-do the living room and the 3 bedrooms otherwise diferent tiles.

I feedback to the supplier that my contractor said uneven flooring and stains are due to their tiles. They will meet at my place this Saturday.

Hope there will be an answer to it otherwise I will bring this matter to CASE for their assistance.

Thank you

The contractor said I have to pay him for the polishing! It would be free if he just bring in a small polisher which we use to polish our car. What a joke

Is D&B @ Senja Road.

So far all the flooring ok except the living hall pop-up. No choice had to re-do the living room and the 3 bedrooms otherwise diferent tiles.

I feedback to the supplier that my contractor said uneven flooring and stains are due to their tiles. They will meet at my place this Saturday.

Hope there will be an answer to it otherwise I will bring this matter to CASE for their assistance.

Thank you

The contractor said I have to pay him for the polishing! It would be free if he just bring in a small polisher which we use to polish our car. What a joke

My house just got hacked.. and it was quite deep... definitely not the surface only and now there's a lot of sand in the house which I guess they will be mixing for lots of cement...

When they meet at your place on Sat.. do you mean your contractor and supplier together? I think should let them meet together. And let them fight it out and don't let them leave until you get some compensation.

Poor thing. have to go through this so many times...

My house just got hacked.. and it was quite deep... definitely not the surface only and now there's a lot of sand in the house which I guess they will be mixing for lots of cement...

When they meet at your place on Sat.. do you mean your contractor and supplier together? I think should let them meet together. And let them fight it out and don't let them leave until you get some compensation.

Poor thing. have to go through this so many times...

They took only half a day to hack the living room and another half a day to hack the 3 bedrooms.

I will be meeting the supplier and the contractor together at my place. It is the poor workmanship lah. The contractor refused to do anything and just told me cannot help. I therefore called the supplier and informed that my contractor said it was due to their poor quality of tiles.

They took only half a day to hack the living room and another half a day to hack the 3 bedrooms.

I will be meeting the supplier and the contractor together at my place. It is the poor workmanship lah. The contractor refused to do anything and just told me cannot help. I therefore called the supplier and informed that my contractor said it was due to their poor quality of tiles.

half a day wor.. mine took 2 and a half days to hack the whole house. mm

good let the supplier confront the contractor.

Good luck!

to be frank, i see the meeting quite useless. Supplier meet tiler so what, no one can exert the authority to force the other party to comply and rectify the problem. So what if supplier lost the arguement, will he pay for rehacking, NO! So what if tiler lost, he won't pay either. You should try to drag HDB into the pic.

Aiyo, such a bad luck... let me do some summary here ar...

KATHLAM has bought a D&B flat, i believe its from walk-in selection or those loose units availabe... Happens tad flooring got defects due to poor worksmanship, long term vacancy or no maintainence etc... He complained tis to HDB, n refer their previous contractor to rectify tis matter. Although tis unit is consider new, bcs no one occupy b4, but after yrs of vacancy, tis defects can be consider as wear n tear. Tad might be the reason y HDB willing to paid a sum to of money to contractors as compensate.

Be it a big sum or small compensate the contractor by HDB, its their duty to rectify the flooring! (u bought tis D&B flat, the floorings r included in ur purchase!) Where got such things from contractor saying HDB give them the sum whereby enuf to hack the surface only??? Where got ppl hack surface only? We can determine tad tis contractor is cutting down on labour n material cost, bcs they dun wan lose money by buying sand, cement n do a proper job for flooring... Rem, u paid HDB for the floorings! How much the HDB compensate the contractor to rectify is not ur prob! Just tell them to get it done. Wif tis, u can tell the ethics of tis contractor by HDB. Y u pay them privately when HDB should settle tis bill... Ur 1st wrong step...

Since the existing floor got defects, makin use of tis, u wanna change original ceramics from HDB to Homogenous tiles. So u purchase ur own tiles. In favor, u privately engaged tad particular contractors to do ur floorings. In form of gd will, its ok to pay them some coffee money to do tis job for u. But not such a big sum ma... Rem, they should lay the floorings even u din change materials, FOC 1! Ur 2nd wrong step...

Contractors from HDB r usually handling major projects for HDB in bulk nos. Their workers r mainly Chinese, cheaper labours, their hands on skills also quite limited... They r laying ceramics, not homogenous tiles... Experienced n skills r vital for homogenous floorings... Tis is ur 3rd wrong step...

Now everything is done, u engage the contractors from HDB in private. I doubt the HDB will bear any responsibilities...

Polishing of Homogenous will cost u a bomb... Its the same method for polishing marble floorings... I doubt u will bear the cost...

If u still wan the prob to be solve...

U can try to ask the tiles supplier to compete wif the contractor. i'm sure ur supplier is knowledgable to determine whether the tiles got prob. Make tad contractor wordless abt the tiles. U can take tis chance to challenge tad contractor to redo everything in the proper way as he did short cuts for hacking, causing poor worksmanship indirectly. (No ppl do homogenous flooring in dry laying method) Tell him to face his music, if not u'll go direct to ur MPs then shoot up to HDB! (but tis will cont for weeks n maybe months to settle liao..)

Erm, i think Case or any other susidary firms can't handle tis, Bcs HDB is involved... i also not sure...

If u ain't rush to move in, then play with the contractor lor... kekeke

(pls correct me if i'm wrong in any way...)

Edited by de_Pierre