Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
coromax

Help Needed On Drilling Ceiling

I bought some curtain rods from ikea and thought of fixing on the ceiling. But after driling abt 1cm, it can't go any further. I'm using the black and decker with hammer drill function. Any idea what went wrong with it? Do I need a more powerful drill?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

You are drilling into the metal frame that supports the windows.

Probably have to shift at least 2cm away from the window edge.

Also have to make sure you use the right wall plugs to ensure that the curtain rods are well secured and will not fall off.

I bought some curtain rods from ikea and thought of fixing on the ceiling. But after driling abt 1cm, it can't go any further. I'm using the black and decker with hammer drill function. Any idea what went wrong with it? Do I need a more powerful drill?

u must get the correct drill... masonry drill (homefix or hardware shop have) less than iirc is about $8 for a good one..

Some structure like beam are harder not sure can be drill

It's easier to start off with a 3mm masonary drill bit followed by the larger diameter drill bit e.g. 6mm

Make sure the drill is in hammer mode; this mode is normally noiser.

It's easier to start off with a 3mm masonary drill bit followed by the larger diameter drill bit e.g. 6mm

Thanks, this masonary drill bit is it a special drill bit meant for ceilings? Sorry, I'm quite new to this kind of stuff.

Might have hit a rebar

A rebar, or reinforcing bar, is a common steel bar, and is commonly used in reinforced concrete and reinforced masonry structures. It is usually formed from carbon steel, and is given ridges for better mechanical anchoring into the concrete. It can also be described as reinforcement or reinforcing steel.

My suggestions:

1) since u bought from ikea, why not give them a call, i think they have their own team that can help u install the curtain rod;

or

2) use cement to fill up the hole u have drilled in the ceiling, and try install the rod on top of the window, i.e. wall mount, the rod should be about 3 to 4 inches above the window frame.

i agree with this. i just had the same experience but with a wall, not ceiling.

i hit a cement and had to buy masonary drill bits (the silver ones). but for additional precaution, i also used concrete nail to punch a deeper hole from the part where my initial drilling stopped. then i worked from smaller drill bit to bigger ones.

kind of a crude way, but it worked for me. oh, and try to do your drilling in the daytime or you'll get an earful from your neighbors.

hope this helps.

u either hit the metal reinforcement bar or a stone pebbles mixed into the cement.

like what poypogi had suggested, use a cement nail. I will wack that into the hole to test whether it's a metal bar or just stone. If it's stone, then wipe your sweat and continue drilling. If metal bar then no choice, u have to shift your hole position.

if u can hit 2cm depth, I think u can stop and wack a wall plug in to fix your stuff.

There's actually a device that can check for concealed wire or metal inside the wall. I saw my neighbours holding it, he said cost like $30+ which he have not used it before.

Edited by hihihi

if your drill is those combo drill that you bought from Homefix or DIY store, you can greatly put it aside as it is almost unlikely you will be able to drill to the required depth, if you look at its specifications, it is only able to go in 13mm (if memory doesnt fail me) for masonry stuff...so 10mm is about right for your case.

you need a dedicated hammer drill to have the depth n impact

.....There's actually a device that can check for concealed wire or metal inside the wall. I saw my neighbours holding it, he said cost like $30+ which he have not used it before.

This device is not very reliable (see picture below).

DSC00113B.jpg

If you hit metal, you see metal dust instead of plaster/concrete. The smell will also tell you something is wrong.

I'll normal use a concrete punch and hammer to break thru the BRC and continue drilling.

Edited by Diavonex

if your drill is those combo drill that you bought from Homefix or DIY store, you can greatly put it aside as it is almost unlikely you will be able to drill to the required depth, if you look at its specifications, it is only able to go in 13mm (if memory doesnt fail me) for masonry stuff...so 10mm is about right for your case.

you need a dedicated hammer drill to have the depth n impact

correct me if i m wrong, i thought the numbers indicated on the box are meant to be the size of the hole that the drill can produce, i.e. if it is 13mm for masonary, meaning the largest hole can be drilled is 13mm in width (not depth) ... can anyone confirm my understanding?

This device is not very reliable (see picture below).

DSC00113B.jpg

If you hit metal, you see metal dust instead of plaster/concrete. The smell will also tell you something is wrong.

I'll normal use a concrete punch and hammer to break thru the BRC and continue drilling.

may i know where can i buy this device? can it be used to detect wire inside the wall?