Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
littleones

Modern Classic Design

Hi

Hope to get some advice here. I'm interested in doing up a modern classic design theme for my 4 room flat. It's a resale flat. I came across this ID whom has a substantial portfolio on doing up this theme.

This ID works this way. I will pay him a fee to done up the design. Thereafter, I can find own contractors to implement his design. He also charges a fee for Project Management, if I want him to oversee my house renovation.

I know that most of us here either engaged an ID firm that do up "everything" for us or we engaged a contractor to do up the house.

Anyone has any experience with ID that does the design and PM work, like the case I mentioned above? I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of this approach.

Thanks a lot!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

If u really want a "wow" factor look like those in magazines, find an ID and let them take charge of all. (maybe electrical etc u can find from outside cheaper).

But if u tend to hire an ID plus contractor, i dont know how much cheaper will it be cause u have to pay both sides.

If u r on a tight budget yet wanting to go for design, maybe IDEAL HOUSE ID firm can help you.

My ID works that way too.

She only comes up with the design and does coordination work between us and the contractor. She gets 10% of the final bill.

I chose to do this way cos I don't have the time to co ordinate/supervise the contractor. (I have two kids and my husband is always traveling). Time is previous. So I prefer to let her handle the above.

Basically, what she did was she will choose all the bathroom fittings, sink, taps and show us pictures, we select from there. So far only went with her to choose the tiles. We bought the hood, hob, heater, oven and told her when's the delivery, she will co-ordinate the rest. She also get quotations for us.

We mainly communicate through emails, sms and phone, unless we need to go to her place to select materials, paint color etc.

The downside, of course, is the cost. But for me, its money well spent.

And most importantly, you must trust the ID.

Edited by boonkhim

boonkhim . . . . talking about trust.

I am a victim of the word trust. If u search my postings regarding my bad experience with a big ID firm you will find out y)

boonkhim is hiring both ID and contractor more expensive than hiring purely an ID firm?

For my case, its slightly more expensive but partly its due to some of things that we have chosen such as the caesarstone top. Plus she can't not charge us the 7% GST.

A note of clarification - she is from an ID firm but the firm mainly provide consultation. They have a list of contractors that they use.

If u really want a "wow" factor look like those in magazines, find an ID and let them take charge of all. (maybe electrical etc u can find from outside cheaper).

But if u tend to hire an ID plus contractor, i dont know how much cheaper will it be cause u have to pay both sides.

If u r on a tight budget yet wanting to go for design, maybe IDEAL HOUSE ID firm can help you.

Hi morgulboy, thank you for your advice! We are actually on a tight budget. Ours is an old flat that needs total renovation!

I thought hiring a contractor separately will be cheaper cos you don't go through the ID firm. Usually ID firm will take a cut from the contractor too, right?

My ID works that way too.

She only comes up with the design and does coordination work between us and the contractor. She gets 10% of the final bill.

I chose to do this way cos I don't have the time to co ordinate/supervise the contractor. (I have two kids and my husband is always traveling). Time is previous. So I prefer to let her handle the above.

Basically, what she did was she will choose all the bathroom fittings, sink, taps and show us pictures, we select from there. So far only went with her to choose the tiles. We bought the hood, hob, heater, oven and told her when's the delivery, she will co-ordinate the rest. She also get quotations for us.

Hi boonkhim, thank you for your advice! Check with you, before you engaged your ID, did you happen to check out the rest of the ID firms that provided those packages? Is the price difference substantial as compared to what you had done (ID plus contractor)?

For us, we checked out the ID firms and the priced quotely are steeped. And the thing is they can't really show us the design. Our concern is whether the price paid warranted the quality received.

Hi

I did went to four ID firms (excluding hers) and a contractor for quotes.

The IDs gave me roughly the same amount and the contractor never get back to me (don't know is it cos they are too busy or what? tired of chasing him for quote)

Compare to the quote I got from those 4 firms, i must say not much difference. The reason why I chose her is her credentials.

Edited by boonkhim

littleones

Most bigger n reputable ID firms like A&D, IDEAL HOUSE etc has their own crew of workers n factory to produce their carpentry. But for electrical mostly they get from outside.

If what boonkhim said about the little difference in cost savings is accurate, then i would advice u to hire an ID firm. For hassle free and better organized renovations.

If u r on a budget, do avoid Big Brand names like Ciseern, 1MAGE creat1ve or even *****.

Hi

Thank you for the information! I will bear them in mind.

Cheers

littleones

Most bigger n reputable ID firms like A&D, IDEAL HOUSE etc has their own crew of workers n factory to produce their carpentry. But for electrical mostly they get from outside.

If what boonkhim said about the little difference in cost savings is accurate, then i would advice u to hire an ID firm. For hassle free and better organized renovations.

If u r on a budget, do avoid Big Brand names like Ciseern, 1MAGE creat1ve or even *****.

Hi,

I'm was looking around for furniture when i came across an interior designer who seemed to be doing exactly what you have mentioned ie a fee for designing and then i can find contractors to implement his design. Do you mind sharing if this ID is currently located at The Plaza? I have been online to search for his company but couldn't find any information, hence I'm curious as to whether you consulted the same person.

Thanks!

Hi

Hope to get some advice here. I'm interested in doing up a modern classic design theme for my 4 room flat. It's a resale flat. I came across this ID whom has a substantial portfolio on doing up this theme.

This ID works this way. I will pay him a fee to done up the design. Thereafter, I can find own contractors to implement his design. He also charges a fee for Project Management, if I want him to oversee my house renovation.

I know that most of us here either engaged an ID firm that do up "everything" for us or we engaged a contractor to do up the house.

Anyone has any experience with ID that does the design and PM work, like the case I mentioned above? I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of this approach.

Thanks a lot!

hi silhouette,

yes, i believe we are talking about the same person. we visited the ID Terry at Interior Library @ The Plaza and checked out his works. very nice classic designs. he draws everything by hand. but in the end, we decided not to fork out $4k as design fee since we are on a rather tight budget. would definitely consider him again maybe for our next house :)

hi silhouette,

yes, i believe we are talking about the same person. we visited the ID Terry at Interior Library @ The Plaza and checked out his works. very nice classic designs. he draws everything by hand. but in the end, we decided not to fork out $4k as design fee since we are on a rather tight budget. would definitely consider him again maybe for our next house :)

I recommend this ID: Rollen (91083025)..very professional and his design apparently has been published in many reputable ID magazines not just in Singapore, but also in overseas magazine. My house was designed by him...every single visitor that came to my house was impressed by his work. Reasonably priced...highly recommended

I recommend this ID: Rollen (91083025)..very professional and his design apparently has been published in many reputable ID magazines not just in Singapore, but also in overseas magazine. My house was designed by him...every single visitor that came to my house was impressed by his work. Reasonably priced...highly recommended

start a t-blog and show us the works please... :D

Hi,

Thanks for the recommendation. Do you have any pictures to share?

Hi,

Thanks for the recommendation. Do you have any pictures to share?

Yes, I'll try to upload the design he made for my house...give me a couple of days time. I'll try to scan it here.

Btw, how to upload or attach image arr? I'm new here..sorry...and thanks for tips