Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
vernonlcm

Is It Necessary To Put A Door In Between The Kitchen And My Hall?

Sorry just like to have some comments from you guys about this. My current hall is of marble flooring and we do a lot of cooking daily.

The existing design is a open concept design without any door as my previous owner do not cook much. However for my case, we do cook very frequently and some told us is better to put a door in between while others say it should be fine as long as clean up the surrounding area frequently after cooking.

Hope to hear any comments from you guys. Cheers.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I have lived open concept for more than 10 yrs, with heavy cooking, and still do.

If it was my call, I wld put a door, probably, sliding frameless glass.

Open concept means..

Cooking fumes enter living room area, furniture gets greased more often than I prefer. Also... dun like the lingering smell after dinner, or when inlaw come over boil some ancient voodoo recipe for 4 hrs.

I have extractor fan at the kitchen, but this dun help if cross wind blows from kitchen into living. Extractor fan works best in enclosed enviroment such as food court kitchen area where got no windows.

I agree... heavy cooking and open concept just don't go together.

I'd hate for the whole house to smell for some time after cooking.... then the floor in the whole house will get greasy...........................

"Real" extractor fans in food courts and restaurants costs 5-digit figures and they have big pipes leading to outdoor. Our household hood system with filter system can only extract a fraction of that greasy fumes.

My parents' kitchen is open with sliding doors, but because of the heat, we seldom close them. So can also smell the lingering, stale oil smell after dinner...argh!

Miss Design will never go in love with Mr Practical...

Mr Design will never go in love with Miss Practical too...

kekeke

Edited by de_Pierre

Miss Design will never go in love with Mr Practical...

Mr Design will never go in love with Miss Practical too...

kekeke

Nowadays with creativity, I think design can go hand in hand with practicality. For eg, though my kitchen is closed off from the living room, I used alot of glass so still can see through mah.

My wife always joke that we have a 'breadtalk' kitchen...

Oil stains, even finger prints can be seen obivously form glasses...

Even young kiddos can knock onto glass while playing/running abt in the hse. I've seen n heard abt these incidents lor... Basically, it depends on 1's needs la...

There's no definations of practical usuage of glass...

Own preferances lor...

A 'breadtalk' kitchen doesn't mean a full floor-to-ceiling glass partition - usually there is a countertop and the glass portion is from the countertop upwards. Then can use a folding glass door, again no need to be full glass, but just glass windows or panels with wooden borders.

looks like a sliding door will helps lor.. no choice mah.. imagine after cooking, all tos smell goes into ur living hall's soft furnishing.. :o