Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
B2B

Furniture - "made In Italy"?

I happened to be browsing a couple of furniture outlets for some mattresses and sofa. Most of these shops claimed their Sofa was imported from Italy, Germany and Europe.. while mattresses were made in USA, UK etc..

After doing some research, I realise that most of the sofas unders $4K, were made in either China, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand.. Even Singapore is too costly to produce! So I'm wondering how these claims of being made in Italy be believable? I think CASE should step in to stop such misrepresentations.

My word of advise to potential buyers - beware!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I agree, and I am skeptical of claims of sofa made in Italy. I think the design is from Italy, but thats all that is related to Italy, to make it sound high class and expensive. Maybe only one small part comes assembled from Italy, but claim it is made there, but actually most of it is made somewhere else.

Theres a diff when they say 'from Italy' and 'made in Italy'

'from Italy' = design from Italy? fabric from Italy? screws from Italy??? :dunno: It can also mean using a Italy registered company to purchase the made in china or malaysia furniture and thus claiming them from Italy wahaha see? those guys are smart!

'made in Italy' = hmm...think they dont dare to say tat

haha those guys are good at such things

Edited by havencaveman

Theres a diff when they say 'from Italy' and 'made in Italy'

'from Italy' = design from Italy? fabric from Italy? screws from Italy??? :dunno: It can also mean using a Italy registered company to purchase the made in china or malaysia furniture and thus claiming them from Italy wahaha see? those guys are smart!

'made in Italy' = hmm...think they dont dare to say tat

haha those guys are good at such things

you know the irony... when I was in Taiwan, I visited a Natuzzi store (by the way, they are the largest sofa maker in the world). Natuzzi is an Italian brand... but what I truly admire was their honesty - they mentioned some of their leather sofas are manufactured in China, even though they have manufacturing facilities in Italy.

So the Italians themselves are saying they are made in China, while the rest of the world claims their sofa is made in ITALY..

you know the irony... when I was in Taiwan, I visited a Natuzzi store (by the way, they are the largest sofa maker in the world). Natuzzi is an Italian brand... but what I truly admire was their honesty - they mentioned some of their leather sofas are manufactured in China, even though they have manufacturing facilities in Italy.

So the Italians themselves are saying they are made in China, while the rest of the world claims their sofa is made in ITALY..

haha i think its really difficult to find things NOT made in China nowadays. Unless u willing to pay much more. Theory is *Gd things not cheap, cheap things not gd* guess consumers like us need to understand tat :)

I happened to be browsing a couple of furniture outlets for some mattresses and sofa. Most of these shops claimed their Sofa was imported from Italy, Germany and Europe.. while mattresses were made in USA, UK etc..

After doing some research, I realise that most of the sofas unders $4K, were made in either China, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand.. Even Singapore is too costly to produce! So I'm wondering how these claims of being made in Italy be believable? I think CASE should step in to stop such misrepresentations.

My word of advise to potential buyers - beware!

FYI , most Europe furniture came with a imprint tag 'Made in Italy ' , other than that it not from there , many sellers always like to bluff consumer. I bought a Barstool from Calligaris for $528 and it seat underneath has a imprint Made in Italy.