Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
audreysg

Why My Toilet Smells?

Does anyone know what could cause the toilet smelly? My renovation work is almost done and the commontoilet smells like...er... :wacko: My contractor insisted nothing was wrong but I dun think so. The common toilet had no smell before the renovation If there will be an overhaul, does the floor need to be hacked? I am so worried and please help.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

quite likely is the fitting of the toilet bowl to the outlet is not done very well. there comes the smell. But there's no way to check unless u dismantle the bowl to see.

Try sniffing out the culprit lor... Might be the drainage hole... Or try flushing all drainages wif great amount of water...

Hope this helps...

Does anyone know what could cause the toilet smelly? My renovation work is almost done and the commontoilet smells like...er... :wacko: My contractor insisted nothing was wrong but I dun think so. The common toilet had no smell before the renovation If there will be an overhaul, does the floor need to be hacked? I am so worried and please help.

foul smell norm from floor trap or wc drainage... foul smell are from all tos "waste" that flush down to the inspection chamber downstairs.. the smell norm will get pass the vent pipe then to top of HDB flat and out they go..if your hse smells, then might from the floor trap, try flushing water inside... or from wc, not enought water coverage at theU-trap so gas escape from there...

My house also got the same problem... It smells sometimes...

The smell normally should be coming due to the upper floor's pple's big business right?

Anybody knows what does offset mean?

My master toilet bowl should be offset 5 inch, common toilet bowl should be offset 6.5 inch.

However, they previously installed two toilet bowl wrongly... and they switched back without doing any offset thing...

So I guess my master toilet which smells is due to the offset is using the 6.5 inch one ? Any idea? :dunno:

My house also got the same problem... It smells sometimes...

The smell normally should be coming due to the upper floor's pple's big business right?

Anybody knows what does offset mean?

My master toilet bowl should be offset 5 inch, common toilet bowl should be offset 6.5 inch.

However, they previously installed two toilet bowl wrongly... and they switched back without doing any offset thing...

So I guess my master toilet which smells is due to the offset is using the 6.5 inch one ? Any idea? :dunno:

Got the same problem...

with my further investigation... I've found out that my bowl is leaking...

with you try checking all your piping.

My toilet recently after renovation the non-slippery flooring (from porousway) start to smell.

After much "smelling around", the drainage hole is most likely the cause.

The funny things is that in my toilet there is 2 drainage hole, the shower area is linked to the basin area.

The smell is coming only drainage hole from the shower area.

I tried flushing with large amount of water and even tried boiling water. But the smell still persist.

Also notice a increase of small insects.

My master room toilet, not renovation, has not such issue at all.

Can any advice?!

Can anyone advice?

Hi, just a personal opinion. There could be bacteria-accumulating residues at the bottom the floortrap. I would usually dig. Use heavy duty gloves as there could be glass shards or sharp objects. Usually the main cause is residual cement dumped into the floortrap by contractors harden up and block the water flow. You have to use a sharp object to prise them bit by bit.

After that, flush with water mixed with bleach. The smell would go away. But you need to maintain the cleanliness of your floor too as my recent experience shows that it is not the floortrap but the flooring was not scrubbed properly when my son puke on the floor. :bleah:

found out the the flooring that I renovation. They did not make properly, think water was trapped inside which caused the smell.

Thank you all for the advice.

found out the the flooring that I renovation. They did not make properly, think water was trapped inside which caused the smell.

This is no substitute to removing the root cause of the problem which you have identified as water trapped in the flooring but you can install a ventilator. Assuming the root cause is solved, a ventilator fan can help you cool down the toilet faster and get rid of stale warm air. Cheers.

Just asking. Did you overlay your new tiles over the old ones? If so, you can ask your contractor to seal the location where you think air from underneath can escape through to the surface. I think usually this would be around the floortrap area, as my current home also has this problem but I have since sealed the hole.