Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
SockMuppet

Warning : Unfair Selling Tactic

Long story so pls bear with me ...

I was shopping for a washing machine & ended up at an outlet of one of the big electrical chain.

I told the salesperson who serviced me that I was looking for a particular European brand of washer. This person who was dressed in the same outfit/uniform as the other salespersons in the store immediately started a rant about how the brand I wanted was expensive, how limited it's functions were, how the drum was unsuitable for Asian clothing, that I was paying a high price for the brand name only etc...

This salesperson then proceeded to sing the praises of this particular Korean brand - how the drum was more suited to Asian clothes, had more functions, more value for money versus European products. I was told this brand had fewer breakdowns versus my preferred European brand. It also had higher sales etc..

I must say I wavered & was tempted to buy the Korean brand. Good thing I was with a friend & he advised that I stick to my preferred choice since I had already done my research & knew what I need.

Here's where it gets interesting - I later found out that the salesperson who was putting down the European brand & praising the Korean brand to high heaven is NOT an employee of the electrical chain but employed by the Korean brand !

I'm shocked by this underhanded sales tactic undertaken by the Korean brand. At no time during my conversation with the salesperson did he identify himself as a representative of the Korean brand. Dressed in the attire of the in-house sales staff, he hid the fact that he had a bias towards his primary employer & propagated an impression of neutrality.

This is where I'll end so buyers out there beware ! I'll be contacting CASE to highlight this.

Edited by SockMuppet

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I don't see the sale person did anything wrong. The sale person is just doing their job. All those big electrical chains and supermarket all have these so call promoter de mah. You 1st day go shooping ah??? At the end of the day you are still the person who decide which to buy. Correct???? Want to buy then buy lor. Please lah....dun like tat go n complaint people. People also earn a living onli.

i agree there is nothing wrong on the practise of the said sales person. it is imperative that a sales person will try to sell his/her own company's product. do you actually expect them to tell you otherwise ? eventually the decision is yours, and every company will try to sell their strong points. nothing unethical.

i agree there is nothing wrong on the practise of the said sales person. it is imperative that a sales person will try to sell his/her own company's product. do you actually expect them to tell you otherwise ? eventually the decision is yours, and every company will try to sell their strong points. nothing unethical.

I have no issues with paid promoters who openly endorse a brand when they can be clearly identified as such i.e. either by way of introducing themselves as representing Company X or made obvious by their attire.

The issue I have in this case is the surreptitious manner in which this person presented himself as a salesperson of the electrical store when clearly he was not. As I mentioned in my initial posting, this person did not in any way identified himself as a paid promoter of a particular brand.

As a consumer part of the service I expect is for salesperson to be able to articulate the pros & cons across the different brands carried in the store so that I can make my own decision.

What I did not expect was an undercover promoter with a hidden agenda.

He may be 'trying to making a living' and 'sell his/her own company's product' but that doesn't mean he has a free hand in using any unfair means. As a consumer I'm more than willing to stand up to such unprofessional behavior thou' it appears there are others who are happy to go along with it.

Edited by SockMuppet

The issue I have in this case is the surreptitious manner in which this person presented himself as a salesperson of the electrical store when clearly he was not. As I mentioned in my initial posting, this person did not in any way identified himself as a paid promoter of a particular brand.

Then can I clarify this: Did the salesperson identified himself as an employee of the electrical store?

I have no issues with paid promoters who openly endorse a brand when they can be clearly identified as such i.e. either by way of introducing themselves as representing Company X or made obvious by their attire.

As a consumer part of the service I expect is for salesperson to be able to articulate the pros & cons across the different brands carried in the store so that I can make my own decision.

What I did not expect was an undercover promoter with a hidden agenda.

He may be 'trying to making a living' and 'sell his/her own company's product' but that doesn't mean he has a free hand in using any unfair means. As a consumer I'm more than willing to stand up to such unprofessional behavior thou' it appears there are others who are happy to go along with it.

Looking at things from a clearer perspective,allow me to add some comments.This is the trend that has been going on for many yrs.All dept stores have promoters selling thir own particular brands.It is fully endorsed n required by the store that the promoters wear the same uniforms as the staffs.Ican understand some frustrations as if u r being "duped",but u have to understand y this is being practiced.The promoters from the particular brand may b more familiar with the specs of the products they r selling,hence they wull tell u the benefits of that brand over others.If there is no promoters,I can tell u, just the staff at the electrical store u go to will not know much about all the brands.U will not have a more informed knowledge of the products.Even if there r no promoters,do u know that every brand reps actually give different incentives for a particular models to clear.So if brand A wants to clear this product n so forth,they will give special incentive to this store.Den the staff will know which brand to push more.It actually happens.So in the end it goes back to the same thing.Y cant they just wear the own brand shirts?Simple,the stores want the promoters n staff to have some form of "UNIFORMED APPROACH" in serving customers n ultimately to be able to help customers even though there r some products not within their range to sell.For eg if u want to buy philips tv,will u b offended if a guy wearing sony t shirt say,Im sorry i only sell sony.

However i do understand ur frustrations at some salesmen. I luv a very expensive brand of home appliances called miele.I swore by this brand as i know they will last n last.N i have been using the washer all my life.So it is so often i get served by promoters from other brands that says,ya brand name only la,u want to spend 2k on miele? If really so gd y not give 20 yrs warranty.. Yes i was put off too!! But I still hear whether his arguments for a cheaper brand gives weight.If he says something that is rude,get his name,COMPLAIN. But if he is trying to sway u in a reasonable way,then by all means listen, n do ur homewrk see if it makes sense. Do u knw that in europe,most ppl do homework before they buy their electrical products.They check on forums,specs n so forth.Over here,i think ppl buy things based on hearsay.So i always think its an ignorance issue.

Im not critisizing ur genuine kind intentions on warning bout such practices by sales staff at electrical stores.But this is rampant n encouraged.Even if u go guardian, there r aunties ask u wan to buy A brand cleanser,better than B brand.. But to clarify on these issues.U R A CUSTOMER,U RESERVE UR RIGHT TO COMPLAIN.If a salesmen dare to tell me a LIEBHERR fridge is made in china, or a Miele washer is made in thailand, immediately i will find the manager n complain!Because this is false statement! I did my homework so i know im beiing duped.Trust me the store manager will b more than willing to call the brand manager to replace the so called promoter.

To cap these long essay,if u wondering whether i know my stuffs to comment on these,my wife is a dept store manager,n my brother is sales buyer for an electrical company.I have worked part time as a promoter during my youth.

Well said lapena.

I think in this world where there are so many choices/options, it is up to the customer to make an effort to know what he/she wants rather than always rely on the salesperson who will have their own agenda and may not have your best interest at heart.

As they say, caveat emptor!

y don we stand in as the salesmen shoes? anyway no threatening or price jacking is done... n Korean brand oso ok ma... LG, SAMSUNG all nt bad.. :). The salesmen neber identify himself is becos nobody ask..

don need report CASE ba.. i think they already knew all these.. and i believe if we all think as u den we can bar ourselves from going to these big electronic chains for the rest of our lifes cos thats their promoting tatics..

haiz... no offence, just think that minor thing we shld just close 1 eye.. we are adult n if we r so easily been tricked into buying things den i think is our own problem lo..

Edited by yokoyoko

I really pity tat saleman tat serve our thread starter that day. This saleman is really so suay. Do nothing wrong also kana complaint. Signz. Pls la next time when buy things do your own homeworks 1st la.

*I think 1 day you walking at the road, you kana beat by someone, you also dun know why?

Edited by smartbuy

Looking at things from a clearer perspective,allow me to add some comments.This is the trend that has been going on for many yrs.All dept stores have promoters selling thir own particular brands.It is fully endorsed n required by the store that the promoters wear the same uniforms as the staffs.Ican understand some frustrations as if u r being "duped",but u have to understand y this is being practiced.The promoters from the particular brand may b more familiar with the specs of the products they r selling,hence they wull tell u the benefits of that brand over others.If there is no promoters,I can tell u, just the staff at the electrical store u go to will not know much about all the brands.U will not have a more informed knowledge of the products.Even if there r no promoters,do u know that every brand reps actually give different incentives for a particular models to clear.So if brand A wants to clear this product n so forth,they will give special incentive to this store.Den the staff will know which brand to push more.It actually happens.So in the end it goes back to the same thing.Y cant they just wear the own brand shirts?Simple,the stores want the promoters n staff to have some form of "UNIFORMED APPROACH" in serving customers n ultimately to be able to help customers even though there r some products not within their range to sell.For eg if u want to buy philips tv,will u b offended if a guy wearing sony t shirt say,Im sorry i only sell sony.

However i do understand ur frustrations at some salesmen. I luv a very expensive brand of home appliances called miele.I swore by this brand as i know they will last n last.N i have been using the washer all my life.So it is so often i get served by promoters from other brands that says,ya brand name only la,u want to spend 2k on miele? If really so gd y not give 20 yrs warranty.. Yes i was put off too!! But I still hear whether his arguments for a cheaper brand gives weight.If he says something that is rude,get his name,COMPLAIN. But if he is trying to sway u in a reasonable way,then by all means listen, n do ur homewrk see if it makes sense. Do u knw that in europe,most ppl do homework before they buy their electrical products.They check on forums,specs n so forth.Over here,i think ppl buy things based on hearsay.So i always think its an ignorance issue.

Im not critisizing ur genuine kind intentions on warning bout such practices by sales staff at electrical stores.But this is rampant n encouraged.Even if u go guardian, there r aunties ask u wan to buy A brand cleanser,better than B brand.. But to clarify on these issues.U R A CUSTOMER,U RESERVE UR RIGHT TO COMPLAIN.If a salesmen dare to tell me a LIEBHERR fridge is made in china, or a Miele washer is made in thailand, immediately i will find the manager n complain!Because this is false statement! I did my homework so i know im beiing duped.Trust me the store manager will b more than willing to call the brand manager to replace the so called promoter.

To cap these long essay,if u wondering whether i know my stuffs to comment on these,my wife is a dept store manager,n my brother is sales buyer for an electrical company.I have worked part time as a promoter during my youth.

Thanks for the considered & thought out reply. Thou I may disagree on some minor points I can appreciate where you are coming from. Never mind the length of the 'essay' as readers will learn something from it :good:

It is certainly a far better quality posting than a couple of one paragraph spiteful postings in this thread that contributes nothing of note :notti:

Thanks for the considered & thought out reply. Thou I may disagree on some minor points I can appreciate where you are coming from. Never mind the length of the 'essay' as readers will learn something from it :good:

It is certainly a far better quality posting than a couple of one paragraph spiteful postings in this thread that contributes nothing of note :notti:

well, no sales person would like to says bad about their own products ,normally in order to close the sales they will definately says their is better than the others just like you ask Burger King is Mc'donald better.Afterall the final says is your. :notti:

If you already done your own homework and knew what you wanted, just get what you want. Why even bother to listen to the guy's sales pitch?

Most, if not ALL has an agenda.

Either they are promoters of the particular brand that they are pushing.

Or certain brands give better commission hence the recommendation.