Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Misc100

Ceiling Fan Making Noises - What Can I Do?

Ceiling fan making noises - what can I do?

So far, I checked with 1 shop that sell ceiling fan and they told me that the ceiling fans are life-time warranty but I have lost the receipts.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I doubt the "life-time" warranty applies to the entire ceiling fan. I was told only the motor is covered and it probably comes with a chunk of terms and conditions. Another shop in Balestier once told me "life-time" means "10-years" for the motor warranty coverage.

Try to spray WD-40 at affected area... Apply grease also can...

Wat's WD-40?

I doubt the "life-time" warranty applies to the entire ceiling fan. I was told only the motor is covered and it probably comes with a chunk of terms and conditions. Another shop in Balestier once told me "life-time" means "10-years" for the motor warranty coverage.

the sound indeed seem to come from the motor...it only started making noises after a few hrs and it does not go away after that until it is switched off

Just wondering. Have you tried tightening the screws that are securing the blades to the motor? I have a couple of times done that to mine. Seems to work after it. Anyway sometimes might be due to the wind blowing from your window too!

Wat's WD-40?

the sound indeed seem to come from the motor...it only started making noises after a few hrs and it does not go away after that until it is switched off

hey, this idea sound rather brilliant..

guess i have to try this!

WD-40 may remove the noise but it'll also remove the grease/lubricant. You are better off using Singer Sewing Machine Oil.

If it's a sealed bearing lubricant will not work. You have to change bearing.

Note: Make sure you cover the electric motor before you spray or else you'll short the motor.

Edited by Diavonex

Just wondering. Have you tried tightening the screws that are securing the blades to the motor? I have a couple of times done that to mine. Seems to work after it. Anyway sometimes might be due to the wind blowing from your window too!

The noise only start after the fan has been on for several hours.

I have tried tightening the screws and found that they are all still tight.

While doing so, I found a very slight sooty smell.

WD-40 may remove the noise but it'll also remove the grease/lubricant. You are better off using Singer Sewing Machine Oil.

If it's a sealed bearing lubricant will not work. You have to change bearing.

Note: Make sure you cover the electric motor before you spray or else you'll short the motor.

There is nothing else I can do except if I unscrew it and take a look. But even that, I am unlikely to detect anything.

If it is the vibrating noise, maybe the motor is loosen.

Rotate the whole motor to tighten it. (anti-clockwise)

I tried it when my ceiling fan has noisy sound. It works.

If it is the vibrating noise, maybe the motor is loosen.

Rotate the whole motor to tighten it. (anti-clockwise)

I tried it when my ceiling fan has noisy sound. It works.

Do you mean opening up (unscrewing the cover), then rotate the motor? Or just rotate without unscrewing anything?

Do you mean opening up (unscrewing the cover), then rotate the motor? Or just rotate without unscrewing anything?

Just rotate the whole thing.