Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Ami

Different Types Of Leather

I recently made a purchase and upgraded the material used but the term doesn’t quite ring a bell now. Can someone advise what is the normal (or most common) material used for headboards?

Is it PU leather? I remember by default the headboard comes in a material where wrinkles are super visible and a little rough. We choose the one where wrinkles (grains) are lighter on the eyes and very smooth. Feels like real leather.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi,

Yup, the normal material used for headboards are the same as those used for the sits of the dinning table, its called PU or Bicast leather. It is a synthetic upholstery product consisting of a thick polyurethane layer applied to a leather or reconstituted leather substrate. It is commonly found in inexpensive furniture.

Cheers.

Thanks for your reply.

Do you happen to know the texture for PU leather?

Thanks for your reply.

I am not sure if I got chop like a "cai tou", but I bloody paid $1050 for the stupid headboard in PU leather.

Well extract from http://reviews.ebay.com/PU-LEATHER-COMPARE...000000008377991

Genuine Leather is very durable, will last a lifetime and cost far more than Synthetic Leather. Genuine Leather will have very expressed grooves kind of like your fingerprints, and will have a rich leathery scent even when dyed. Genuine leather isn't very pliable and can withstand constant torture and punishment. It'll hold up to yanking, stretching, bending, squashing etc.

PU (Poly) Synthetic Leather is a man made material that will represent the look and feel of Genuine Leather but in fact is NOT. This PU material is far less durable, considerably cheaper in cost, and may not last long if used often. This material is extremely pliable and will stretch kind of like a spandex material. It has a more shiny appearance and generally is far less thick than real leather. Grooves similar to your fingerprints are mechanically pressed into the material to give it that REAL look. These grooves are far less defined and are hairlike impressions. This material for the most part is Waterproof and easily cleaned or maintained. For persons on a tight budget this material is the way to go. It's about half the cost of real leather products and will still look awesome in your collection. If your Strict on your Leather policy, this IS NOT the way to go.

As for the cost of the headboard, depending on the size of the bed, the pattern of the headboard, and the brand which you purchase the bed, it can really differ alot, and its not surprise that your beadboard can cost up to $1000+.

So don't worry so much and hope you enjoy your purchase.

Cheers.

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for your reply.

Normally PU leather came in 2 different type of texture, one is call soft and hard.

Soft PU leather has a swallower grain , soft and smooth touch cost more in prices while hard PU has a deeper grain and the surface is rougher the cost is cheaper.

so meaning if i wan a easy to maintain leather sofa.. i can take soft type PU leather sofa..

will it get warm if i sit on it for a long time?? not as comfy as real leather??

so meaning if i wan a easy to maintain leather sofa.. i can take soft type PU leather sofa..

will it get warm if i sit on it for a long time?? not as comfy as real leather??

PU and PVC is fine for headboards. You really don't want to sit on synthetic leather. Will tear in about 1 year.

Guest melancholic
PU and PVC is fine for headboards. You really don't want to sit on synthetic leather. Will tear in about 1 year.

I'm not so sure about that.

My mother-in-law bought a cheap 3+2 PU leather sofa from Novena Furnishing for $400 more than a year ago. It's still in good condition despite my son's jumping and climbing on it.

In my previous home, I had a synthetic leather sofa (supposedly imported from Japan) and it lasted me for more than 5 years until I sold my house and gave it to the new owners as a sweetener. Material was also very comfortable to sit and even sleep on.

But maybe it's just my luck.

In any case, I'm going for full cowhide leather for my next purchase. I'm considering those from Univonna and Navinci. Others... way toooo ex. Unless the Lorenzo sale is worth looking at. Thinking of looking at HTL International also.. but they are all the way at Gul Circle.. hmm .. cos I saw their ads on Sat papers. Very worth considering if its full cowhide leather.