Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
cactus_79

Nippon Timberlac -wood Varnish For Old Wood Furniture

My wooden furniture (fixtures) look rather old and has scratches. I wish to give them a new lease of life with a fresh coat of varnish, and would also like to change the colour of the furniture to a darker shade of wood. Would it be possible? Nippon has Timberlac (Wood varnish). Any comments on this product? Thanks in advance for any form of advice!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
My wooden furniture (fixtures) look rather old and has scratches. I wish to give them a new lease of life with a fresh coat of varnish, and would also like to change the colour of the furniture to a darker shade of wood. Would it be possible? Nippon has Timberlac (Wood varnish). Any comments on this product? Thanks in advance for any form of advice!

Hi, if the scratches on your wooden furniture are deep and obvious, varnish it will not cover up the scrathes, in fact, the scrathes will be even more obvious after varnishing (if you use gloss varnish) ... maybe you want to consider re-laminate or re-paint the woorden furniture depending on what's the orignal finish ...

if u insist on varnishing your wooden furniture, what I can advise you is to buy those wood filler (same color as your wooden furniture) and patch up the scratches first, then sand the patch up area to flaten it ... after that, follow the normal varnishing procedure:

1) clean the surface using spirit

2) lightly sand the surface

3) dilute the varnish using thinner and apply a first coat

4) wait for it to dry

5) lightly sand the surface again

6) apply the second coat of varnish without dilution

please do not varnish your wooden furniture using the above method if the orignal finish is lamination or paint ...

as for the Timberlac varnish, i used it for my parquet floor, it is one of the cheapest i can find in the market, and so far so good, but the smell is quite unbearable :bangwall: ... in fact, the smell of all varnish is unbearable, suggest u get a 3M chemical mask :notti:

Hi, if the scratches on your wooden furniture are deep and obvious, varnish it will not cover up the scrathes, in fact, the scrathes will be even more obvious after varnishing (if you use gloss varnish) ... maybe you want to consider re-laminate or re-paint the woorden furniture depending on what's the orignal finish ...

if u insist on varnishing your wooden furniture, what I can advise you is to buy those wood filler (same color as your wooden furniture) and patch up the scratches first, then sand the patch up area to flaten it ... after that, follow the normal varnishing procedure:

1) clean the surface using spirit

2) lightly sand the surface

3) dilute the varnish using thinner and apply a first coat

4) wait for it to dry

5) lightly sand the surface again

6) apply the second coat of varnish without dilution

please do not varnish your wooden furniture using the above method if the orignal finish is lamination or paint ...

as for the Timberlac varnish, i used it for my parquet floor, it is one of the cheapest i can find in the market, and so far so good, but the smell is quite unbearable :bangwall: ... in fact, the smell of all varnish is unbearable, suggest u get a 3M chemical mask :notti:

Thanks for the advice and the warning about the smell!! GEE! I didnt know there are so many steps to varnishing! I thought it's just sandpapering, then paint the varnish over! I also didn't know we need to sand the surfaces so many times! What thinner do we buy? Just go to DIY shop and buy thinner is it? Also, what spirit do we use? Will DIY know? Finally, the furniture is not laminate.. but can't tell if it's paint. how can I tell? sorry for all the questions.

Thanks for the advice and the warning about the smell!! GEE! I didnt know there are so many steps to varnishing! I thought it's just sandpapering, then paint the varnish over! I also didn't know we need to sand the surfaces so many times! What thinner do we buy? Just go to DIY shop and buy thinner is it? Also, what spirit do we use? Will DIY know? Finally, the furniture is not laminate.. but can't tell if it's paint. how can I tell? sorry for all the questions.

The steps i provide is the ideal procedures for varnishing which will give u ideal results :notti: ... anyway, for my parquet floor, i didn't use spirit, i just swept the floor and use water to mop the floor ...

u can get thinner and spirit from homefix or selffix, and those neighbourhood paint shops, can talk to the shop pple, anyway there aren't that many choices for thinner and spirit ...

make sure u sand the surface in between varnishing, it is important as it will make sure the varnish can better stick to the furniture surface ...

i am no expert in teaching u how to tell whether the furniture is painted or not, suggest u talk to those furniture shop pple to know more :)

The steps i provide is the ideal procedures for varnishing which will give u ideal results :notti: ... anyway, for my parquet floor, i didn't use spirit, i just swept the floor and use water to mop the floor ...

u can get thinner and spirit from homefix or selffix, and those neighbourhood paint shops, can talk to the shop pple, anyway there aren't that many choices for thinner and spirit ...

make sure u sand the surface in between varnishing, it is important as it will make sure the varnish can better stick to the furniture surface ...

i am no expert in teaching u how to tell whether the furniture is painted or not, suggest u talk to those furniture shop pple to know more :)

Thanks for the advice! I went to the DIY shop at Century Square basement yesterday. the guy looked blur when I asked if we had to sand between the layers of varnish.. he said just apply 1 layer! he also said there's no need to add thinner to dilute...

then Nippon hotline said only sand once, then apply 3 layers.

I told my hb your advice and he'll be buying a piece of wood to try out this weekend! :) thanks for your help!

Thanks for the advice! I went to the DIY shop at Century Square basement yesterday. the guy looked blur when I asked if we had to sand between the layers of varnish.. he said just apply 1 layer! he also said there's no need to add thinner to dilute...

then Nippon hotline said only sand once, then apply 3 layers.

I told my hb your advice and he'll be buying a piece of wood to try out this weekend! :) thanks for your help!

ya, good to try out first ... btw, u may want to buy turpentine also, it can be used to wash away the varnish on the brush, if u want to recycle the brush :yamseng: