Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Rune

Roof Over Our Heads Up North

smallboy, same sentiments. if they do it once and do it right, precious time and $ can be saved.

My hubby and 've been taking turns to go there supervising for some things, it can be very tiring to shuttle in between.

I guess I'm really the lucky one who got block leave during my reno... I hear the way you guys manage I feel tired for you all also. mm

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
mm Smallboy.. i think it's not just Ah Soon's men. It's all workers. This is what I call Worker mentality. They just want to get the job done. Boss not around, so they anyhow do. If they are better than that then they will become supervisors... otherwise they will be workers. Anyway they are still paid for a day's work, to most of them... work so hard for what?

All renovation will have faults one.. I guess as long as we're not made to bear the cost I'm very happy liao. Just pity Ah Soon who has to bear the cost of their mistakes.

pinkpetter, i agree with you on the workers mentality, if we asked them to do extra work, they will grumble and end up we have to call ah soon. ah soon will then call to give them some ear, then they are willing to do. my hubby said all workers are like that, only when kena boss scold then guai guai do work lor.

they don't think long term like a business man does. ah soon is a business man, he values his reputation above anything else.

AGREE......... it is a WORKER's mentality. The ones with good brain sense are only Ah Soon and Jason........ and they are the ones running the show and calling the shots. Not enough of them on site and supervise. Wish Jason can replicate himself... he is really good. Got brains, think about functionality and also asethetics (did I spell correctly)... my wife always use this word to describe Jason. :)

ya it's sad right.. I watch 15 workers trying to build a 8m path near my block for the last 4 months and until now that path is not ready yet. It's amazing how the work can drag.

I think this is precisely why Ah Soon is home late every day. Besides meeting people he also goes to the sites to check. I do hope they get more reliable workers soon and they don't have to check so stringently.

hahahah I just saw your sentence abt Jason multiplying himself... haha we need Jason and Ah Soon clones!

Edited by pinkpetter

ya it's sad right.. I watch 15 workers trying to build a 8m path near my block for the last 4 months and until now that path is not ready yet. It's amazing how the work can drag.

I think this is precisely why Ah Soon is home late every day. Besides meeting people he also goes to the sites to check. I do hope they get more reliable workers soon and they don't have to check so stringently.

i think we have to applaud ah soon, reno is bound to have hiccups, as much as we hate the time wasted we appreciate dearly that his promises to rectify the things we highlighted to him and is flexible on the configurations for a few things in the house. i can't say likewise if i will to engage other contractor or ID.

all dealings we deal with ah soon (commercial and rectifications), other things like carpentry config, lights placement, electrical, false ceilings we deal with Jason

i think ah soon shld replicate himself, someone who has a sense of ownership in this business and who can do a good project mgmt job should be the next candidate. hehe

i think we have to applaud ah soon, reno is bound to have hiccups, as much as we hate the time wasted we appreciate dearly that his promises to rectify the things we highlighted to him and is flexible on the configurations for a few things in the house. i can't say likewise if i will to engage other contractor or ID.

Agreed. When I read about how some IDs deny that it's their workers who spoil the thing or ask the owners to pay when some things have to be changed I always am happy that we got Ah Soon. I've had friends who started off with quotes cheaper than mine but after the ID insists on charging them for every single tiny thing, their ending cost is so much higher than mine.

To me, I felt the most of the workers were ok, but I just asked my dad. My dad said some of them weren't good... haha I think my standards are low. :P

wah... so many feedback on his workers. Let me do my personal ranking of his workers,

1st: plumbers(10/10), windows/grills(10/10)

2nd: tilers(8/10), false ceiling/false wall (8/10)

3rd: carpenters (8/10) -> given them a higher score after their countless times coming up to rectify some work that i've deem acceptable. (of cos, after being scolded by Ah soon)

4th: painters (6.5/10), plastering (7/10)

5th: electrician -> worse of lot, slanted sockets, slanted cable tray. (6/10)

I agreed with u all that its both a waste of money n time to keep going thru the rectifications. My new pad is only 15mins walk ago from my current place and i'm already so drained going up everyday back then.

Pity ah soon that he has to bear the responsibility of his workers. Its hard, i heard Jason saying they have 80+ workers, so the QC may all be only relying on Ah soon. I would prefer speaking to Ah soon directly most of the time, rather than Jason. I think Jason is more lenient to the workers n end up doing the sh*t job of all the rectifications himself, while Ah soon will just pick up the phone n demand the workers to do it immediately with NO room for delay. So they r both gd in their ways.. but sadly.. they also have to depend a lot on their workers.

wah... so many feedback on his workers. Let me do my personal ranking of his workers,

1st: plumbers(10/10), windows/grills(10/10)

2nd: tilers(8/10), false ceiling/false wall (8/10)

3rd: carpenters (8/10) -> given them a higher score after their countless times coming up to rectify some work that i've deem acceptable. (of cos, after being scolded by Ah soon)

4th: painters (6.5/10), plastering (7/10)

5th: electrician -> worse of lot, slanted sockets, slanted cable tray. (6/10)

I agreed with u all that its both a waste of money n time to keep going thru the rectifications. My new pad is only 15mins walk ago from my current place and i'm already so drained going up everyday back then.

Pity ah soon that he has to bear the responsibility of his workers. Its hard, i heard Jason saying they have 80+ workers, so the QC may all be only relying on Ah soon. I would prefer speaking to Ah soon directly most of the time, rather than Jason. I think Jason is more lenient to the workers n end up doing the sh*t job of all the rectifications himself, while Ah soon will just pick up the phone n demand the workers to do it immediately with NO room for delay. So they r both gd in their ways.. but sadly.. they also have to depend a lot on their workers.

agree with your 4th and 5th. yes, we prefer speaking to ah soon too.

our ratings:

10/10 - Hong Tar's aircon installation. Haha not relevant :P

9/10 - plumbing

8/10 - tiling

7/10 - carpentry

7/10 - plastering

6/10 - painting

5/10 - electrician, hubby said he can do better (he knows how to do)

5/10 - windows/main gate/pd door (alignment problems, chips)

in addition, today we realized there are broken tiles/debris inside the kitchen glass door enclosure. we were like "duh"....

edited because forget to put false ceiling rating

8/10

Edited by fondue_

I think I cannot do the rating... cos I suspect my workers are different. Esp my electricians who were outsourced from another company... but seems like the electricians really caused trouble for you guys. mm

I think I cannot do the rating... cos I suspect my workers are different. Esp my electricians who were outsourced from another company... but seems like the electricians really caused trouble for you guys. mm

Ya, that's the reason why our switches were diff and u had much more electrical VO than us.

Another thing i wanna ask, will they leave spare tiles for us? I dun have a single piece of tiles leh.. What if next time tiles accidentally cracked, how ah?

My dad asked for extra paint but we forgot to ask for tiles also. :P

Must ask.... cos when the workers were clearing we were very blur and forgot all about extra tiles. :P

My dad asked for extra paint but we forgot to ask for tiles also. :P

Must ask.... cos when the workers were clearing we were very blur and forgot all about extra tiles. :P

must ask ah? die lah, like tt dunno how liao. My extra tiles all dunno gone where already. We reminded Jason a few times, but each time he came, he sure forget.

Wow ... surpised that some of us actually have some common problems. i guessed fondue and me will be having the same problems coz the group of workers should be shuttering btw mine and hers quite often. Yesterday me & wifey agreed to delay our furnitures delivery date. Dun want risk them get dirty while the rectifications are still in progress.

fondue,

Not sure if its M'sia or taiwan ... but the pics are as follows

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7412...mp;l=e0dfb9469b

smallboy,

I guessed its part & parcel of reno. Funny I had the same sentiments as you but always cool off in awhile. Pop by yesterday and saw pencil markings on the 2 wall tiles. Should be Ah Soon signature :P Even he knows that the rectifications works are unacceptable. Kudos to him :P

I have to agreed that its more effective to talk to Ah Soon to get things corrected. My personal opinion, the group of electrician and plumbering workers is not that up to standard.

Anyway, i still could not find the time to research on my PS3 due to work commitments :P I guessed after tomolo final assignments can I really find time for both the console & reno.

Oh no.... i also forget to ask for spare tiles. They were removed on Friday .... OMG

Juz spoke to Ah Soon, its common practise to pass spare tiles to owner :P I guessed speaking to the right ppl will get the answers. And he is feeling muz better already!!!

Edited by Rune

Rune, for swing door is irex. Drawers now is taiwan ones, not happy with it, will change to blum one.

I saw uncle soon last week and we requested to keep 4 tiles each :)