Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
resilient

Possible To Appoint Id And Contractor Separately?

Hi,

If I already have a reliable contractor, is it possible to get an ID to help in the design? I will pay the ID for the design of course. Better still if the ID is willing to work with my contractor.

Anyone knows if this is possible? If so, any recommendations?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi,

If I already have a reliable contractor, is it possible to get an ID to help in the design? I will pay the ID for the design of course. Better still if the ID is willing to work with my contractor.

It's possible, but the ID charges will be quite high.

I won't recommend to get a design and give it to your contractor to do, because other than high costs, there will be problems in coordinating.

Alot of decisions are made on the ground, eg floor is uneven or wall is slanted, then the ID and their contractors got to adjust the designs on the spot.

well, in this case, do u have any design in mind. actually 2 mi ID = contractor. ID give suggestion on hw u wan to design your house, what u might wan to do. end of the day, u r the one decided if u wan to change this and that a not, the type of cabinet u wan to do, the paint color etc. a "ID" suppose to help u brainstorm hw u might like that all.

if u wan and don mind, u can also post your floor plan here and ask forumer for suggestion too. :)

I did. Although the contractor is a recommendation from my ID. My ID only come up with the design and drawings. Her takings is 10% of the final bill.

I chose her contractor cos they have been working together for some time and also to ensure there's co-ordination between them.

Hi there,

it's totally possible to engage designers and contractor separately.

i would say the designer is the brain, and the contractors is the brawn; and they're definitely not replaceable by each other.

the designer will go thru with you their concepts, give u advice on styling and furnishings;

and provide you 2d and 3d drawings. after that, usually the designer will give u all the info, and you can proceed on to looking for a suitable contractor to do the job. (in this case you seem to have a gd choice in mind).

however, do bear in mind that in this case the designer's responsibility ends when he/she hands over the info.

and all the scheduling and oversee-ing of progress will have to be done by yourself. this can be quite tedious, esp when you're working and renovating at the same time.

some ppl can take leave and wait for the contractor to deliver the materials to their place say what time, what time. but many do not have the luxury of time and spare energy to do this, thus engaging an ID will ease some anxiety and lessen the stress of renovating.

so unless your relative is the contractor, you can trust them with your keys (if you have not moved in) or your valuables at home (minor reno at home, perhaps kitchen or bath rm reno only), I'd say it would probably require quite a bit of coordination. if not, engaging a separate contractor should be fine :)

hope this helps.

Hi resilient, if you still need, I came across a ID who do only design and carpentry, so you can use your own contractors for the rest. PM me for the contact if interested.

A good ID will brief the contractors on the owner's behalf for a more accurate interpretation of his/her designs, do site surveys and help solve any site problems with the contractors.

Pricing have to be in a zone comfortable to both parties.. there ain't any real market rate for these services unless its a huge commercial space or high end residence.. not demeaning HDB or condo being second class..

A good ID will brief the contractors on the owner's behalf for a more accurate interpretation of his/her designs, do site surveys and help solve any site problems with the contractors.

Pricing have to be in a zone comfortable to both parties.. there ain't any real market rate for these services unless its a huge commercial space or high end residence.. not demeaning HDB or condo being second class..

I agree totally.

I won't recommend to get a design and give it to your contractor to do, because other than high costs, there will be problems in coordinating.

Alot of decisions are made on the ground, eg floor is uneven or wall is slanted, then the ID and their contractors got to adjust the designs on the spot.

Yes..agreed wif u guys totally!

Hi there,

it's totally possible to engage designers and contractor separately.

i would say the designer is the brain, and the contractors is the brawn; and they're definitely not replaceable by each other.

the designer will go thru with you their concepts, give u advice on styling and furnishings;

and provide you 2d and 3d drawings. after that, usually the designer will give u all the info, and you can proceed on to looking for a suitable contractor to do the job. (in this case you seem to have a gd choice in mind).

however, do bear in mind that in this case the designer's responsibility ends when he/she hands over the info.

and all the scheduling and oversee-ing of progress will have to be done by yourself. this can be quite tedious, esp when you're working and renovating at the same time.

some ppl can take leave and wait for the contractor to deliver the materials to their place say what time, what time. but many do not have the luxury of time and spare energy to do this, thus engaging an ID will ease some anxiety and lessen the stress of renovating.

so unless your relative is the contractor, you can trust them with your keys (if you have not moved in) or your valuables at home (minor reno at home, perhaps kitchen or bath rm reno only), I'd say it would probably require quite a bit of coordination. if not, engaging a separate contractor should be fine :)

hope this helps.

wow, love this quote. tyan_tan is either same line as me or simply understood much more clearer the importance of an ID.

Sorry to say, many home owners [particularly with budget ones] may find the engagement of ID being a redundant issue.

Yet, its the same ignorance that DURING the renovation that started to tear apart their brain, life and house.

We also have many home owners who find coordinating the renovation easy and thus uses seperate sub-con for their house.

But most of us doesnt have that luxury of time to coordinate. Most importantly, many a times, when i stepped into customers' home done by them previously

told me that if not for time, they would have coordinate again le and wont even engage me.

Sound irony or arrogance ? I dun go to the bank to say i put money in your bank because i got no where to put at home. I simply go there because the high interest draws an attraction. So, when i looked at their so called well-coordinated renovation that needed NEW renovation a few years later. Its a shocking overhaul in many departments due to overlooked design and needing much hacking of existing carpentry works. Quotation of cos, went up. So did their temper. Luckily, as their mind becomes rational and after comparing with the others, they realised their problem. THAT THEY AINT MASTER OF ALL TRADES and that certain trade is still better off leave to the hands of the professional.

I THANK THEM FOR THAT.

Hi,

I personally went thru a designer & a contractor separately. They are fantastic! Design fees is reasonable and my designer will run the show for me completely. They will short list all materials, source for me accessories, shopping for my lights & furniture - work within my budget - as for the contractors, they only take instructions from my designers cos I told them so - this way, no one will call me in the middle of my work,, sleep etc to ask me how, when etc etc... I feel peace and end reasult - my house was feature in Home & Decor!! Trust your designer & they can deliver - my team of designers!?? - MOMO !! THEY ARE SUPER!!

hope you can consider my up-most recommended DESIGNER!! COOL !!

Good luck to you!! :dancingqueen:

Interestingly, a ID let slip a document to me which shows the cost of each reno works and their margin.

Also contains the contractor names and contact.

I am so tempted to just diy :)

Interestingly, a ID let slip a document to me which shows the cost of each reno works and their margin.

Also contains the contractor names and contact.

I am so tempted to just diy :)

JUST DO IT. Never try never know. :D