Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
simei_mum

Boon Siew Interior Design

Hi,

Anyone used this contracter before, In Bishan? Any comments?

I am renovating my kitchen - he quoted me $14K total (exclude hood, hob, oven). IS this reasonable?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Wow...just kitchen and it is $14K!! EX leh.. but not sure what is your detailed quotation...

I have asked for a quote from them before..Recommended by my friend who says they have good after sales services..

But i did not opted for them as i felt their quote is abit on the high side..

14k!!!!!!!! and to think.. before I began my reno research I actually told the IDs and contractors I wanted to do my entire house for 14k. whahahahaha

I think... Unless your kitchen is very big and you're making cabinets with tempered glass doors throughout and there are lots of them.. and the tiles are.. maybe $9/psf... 14k is really over the top.

I redid my entire house for 25k and the kitchen cost us 5k...

14k!!!!!!!! and to think.. before I began my reno research I actually told the IDs and contractors I wanted to do my entire house for 14k. whahahahaha

I think... Unless your kitchen is very big and you're making cabinets with tempered glass doors throughout and there are lots of them.. and the tiles are.. maybe $9/psf... 14k is really over the top.

I redid my entire house for 25k and the kitchen cost us 5k...

14K for kitchen ... too exp la

Bro... top up another 4K can do whole house liao ... mine is ard 18K

BATHROOMS

To supply/install 10mm frameless tempered clear glass shower screen with 1 fix panel &

1 sliding door for 2nd bathroom ( straight )

To supply/install 10mm frameless tempered clear glass shower screen with 1 fix panel for master

To design & fabricate 3.5ft vanity cabinet w/alum frame & frosted glass door @ common

To design & fabricate 5ft vanity cabinet w/alum frame & frosted glass door @ common

BEDROOMS

To construct false celling @ all bedrooms (3 rooms)

To construct raise platform @ master

To design & fabricate 6ft laminate plywood sliding wardrobe @ master

To design & fabricate 6.5ftL plywood wall feature backing for bomb shelter cum tic tac door ( full

height )

LIVING ROOMS/ DINNING ROOM

To design & fabricate 6ftL laminated ply wood altar cabinet (half height) *

To design & fabricate 9.5ft laminated ply wood Tv console as per design

To design & fabricate 9.5ft laminated ply wood wall feature as per design

To supply & install 5.5ft x 3ftL soild surface kitchen worktop as per design

To hack of existing wall between dinning & kitchen area cum make good

Provide sand,haulage service & debris removal

plus below items (ard 5.7k after discount)

false ceiling at foyer area

false ceiling at passage way

light box **** area

light box at dining area

kitchen package (washing basin, cooker hood n hob nt included)

whole house painting using nippon 3 in 1 or ICI

painting of all pipes/ main gate

painting/ vanishing all doors

whole hse chemical wash

foc items: 2 set of water heaters and bathroom accessories

What? Am I soooo overquoted? :bangwall::bangwall:

I asked another contractor and this time his quote is 19k!!!!!! I know all of you like this now right :jawdrop:

Please tell me if really so EX after I explain the following:

- My kitchen is u-shaped one side and L-shaped (extending to yard) other side. Total area is 55ft ie 55ft of coutnertop, 55 ft of wall cabinets, 55ft base cabinets - that is how they calculate right?

- I will have mostly drawer system on base cabinets, and cupboards for wall units.

- I am overlaying floor tiles (kitchen and small yard area)

- I am overlaying floor tiles and tempered glass backsplash on hob wall.

- I am only using laminate doors, no glass doors at all

- I am hacking off old cabinets to rebuild new ones; new painting; new lighting points.

Contracter said he is giving me scratch-resistant laminate from LamiTAK. Can you enlighten me if this is just a standard brand? He said can choose from several companies. WHICH ONE SHOULD I GO FOR, SO I GET MY MONEY'S WORTH?????

Buying tiles from Hafary: Floor tile is square type and $3.00 per piece; wall tile is the biggest piece Hafary has and cost (I think) $4 per rectangular piece.

OK, dish out your comments now. Any reliable contractor to recommend???

CHEERS

55ft.... is very very long le mmm but I guess it's possible. Ok let's see.

My kitchen measures 19ft on one side. if you're making a full U shape it'll mean another 19ft on the other side and 17ft on the short end? your kitchen very big le... Means your kitchen is roughly about 6m X 5m? My contractor did not bother with whether mine was drawer or cupboard.. do you really need so much cabinets? heh

I'm really a little confused cos where will the door for the yard be? and where will the entrance of your kitchen be? And your kitchen doesn't have windows at all? What about common toilet?...

I actually did a drawing of what I understand but unable to upload now.. urgh

Judging from what you described, the ceiling will be painted and the wall tiles are $4 psf?

The floor tiles... it's $3 psf tiles or $3 per piece? you picked one-foot tiles? If it's $3 per piece you and picked the bigger 600X600 tile then you've picked a cheap tile. If it's $3 psf then it's ok. Normal pricing.

MmMM If your measurements are as I described and that's really what you want.. then 14k for 110 ft worth of cabinet + 55ft table top is not expensive. It's ok I guess. Since he's going to give you Lamitak which is quite good also.

What top is he giving you? Granite? :)

How many power points? Is he also going to include changing the pipes? :)

Some drawings might help us to assist you.

55ft is 16.7m. Are you sure? I think your kitchen could cost between 10-12k reasonably. Materials are important too.

You using granite for your tabletop?

Any special anti-slam system for your cupboards and drawers?

Anti-slam hinges are cheap around $3-5 dollars one hinge.

But Anti Slam tracks for drawers are quite expensive, depending on weight and material, can cost 40bucks / pair of tracks.. up to 100++ ..

Lets not jump and say expensive until we see everything.

My contractor included anti slam tracks for me at no extra costs so I think there might be cheap ones out there.. :P

But Phantom is right.. at 55ft... correction... 110ft cabinet + 55worktop.. 14k does sound possible. :P

No, no, so embarrassed my calculation is wrong:

(1) 55ft in quote is actually SUM OF wall AND bottom cabinets (lamitak laminated finish & ABS trimming)

(2) countertop is 38ft - LG solid surface not granite

I don't know how to draw and upload. But essentially, my kitchen if you imagine the u-shape has dimensions of 8ft x 7ft x 8ft; then the L-shape has dimensions of 9ft x 6ft.

Ceiling painted white; and walls in yard also painted white.

Kitchen door is between the U-shape and L-shape

Kitchen has no window

Kitchen opens into yard separated by a half cement wall (Which I will hack off to "open up" kitchen)

Floor tiles for both kitchen and yard (half size of kitchen)

Yes, I will add additional 5 more electrical sockets

I will change lighting (cos kitchen is dark cos no window will intall four lighting points in existing false ceiling)

the 14k contractor - normal ball-bearing not anti-slam system but the 19k contractor (whom I like more) has. His is all smooth closing hinges and anti-slam drawer system but not Hettich or Blums. He said can take 30kg weight no prob. Handles are stylish european looking type.

Changing pipes? I don't think need to right. He will take out existing sink and replace back and fix plumbing included.

Yes, tiles are $3 or $4 psf. I don't even know what that means!!! hahaha.

stainless steel dish rack included.

installation of hood hod oven included

Actually I will not be hacking off existing wall tiles just replacing it. Is that ok???? cos if hack off, need another 3k!!!!! I will have heart attack if the quote keeps going up!

Ok, is 19k quote outrageous?

haha I think I'm silly cos I still cannot visualise your kitchen.

Anyway I drew out a draft of what I roughly think... but in my picture your worktop can only be 28 ft. mm

simeismumskitchen.jpg

So your list of items goes like this?

Dismantling of kitchen cabinets

Hacking of half height wall

Making good of wall and floor where hacked wall used to be.

Overlaying of wall tiles in kitchen (I assume replacing = putting new on top of old)

Overlaying of floor tiles in kitchen and yard area (est'd 100 square feet)

Kitchen cabinet base (?)

55 ft cabinets (wall and base) Lamitak finishing w ABS trimming

38 ft solid surface worktop (LG)

Tempered glass backing at hob area

Installing of additional points X 5

Replacement of old points

Changing existing lighting

Installation of 4 lighting points into existing false ceiling

Painting of ceiling and yard walls

labour for installing hob, hood and oven

Haulage

I did similiar things but my kitchen cabinet is only 21ft long with a 19ft worktop and mine costs 5k. But my materials (in comparison) are not as good quality (in terms of the brand). For eg, your worktop probably costs $90-100 per foot while mine is at best $70 per foot.

Why don't you take a look at the individual pricing for the cabinets? Meaning the total price of the cabinets divided by 55 ft to find how much it cost per feet. $100-$140 should be ok. An outrageous price would be $250 per foot (which my colleague got ripped off for recently).

Personally... that is quite a bit of carpentry there at 55ft even and 14k does seem possible. 19k and all that you're getting extra is the soft closing thing is not worth it I think. Why not talk the first guy into getting you the soft closing thing at the same price? My contractor does the soft closing thing for everyone without question and his cabinets are about $100 per foot. I will PM you his contact but he does seem to be rather busy lately.

:) Btw the tile thing...

tileexplanation.jpg

So $3psf and $4psf is ok. :) Just remember to keep to the budget when you choose the tiles. :)

Oh yes... the piping thing... if you don't change the position of your sink then no need. BUt if you do then you might as well just change the pipes. :)

Lastly, because you aren't renovating your entire house.. it is normal for contractors to quote you more than those who do... :)

Edited by pinkpetter

haha, pinkpetter, you are not being silly, cos I am STILL trying to work out the cost per foot run, cos so confusing if it is top and bottom cabinet per foot run or top or bottom per foot run, if you know what I mean.

this is layout again:

After entry into kitchen at door, on left side is a rectangular room with 3 walls, so countertops will go on all 3 walls making it u-shape. Two walls will be 8ft each and 1 wall is 7ft. Then, on the right side of door, ie opposite side to the rectangular room, there is a long wall of 11ft where a countertop will sit and at the end of this long wall, the wall turns right to add another 6ft of wall (ie L-shape).

I hope this time my explanation is clearer. It is a weird shape. i tried to upload a word document sketch but don't know how to upload ler.

For cabinets alone, the cost is ~$9000. (he wrote supply and install top and bottom cabinets 55ft 9k). Does this mean it is $200 per foot run? Others seem to suggest the norm being $70-100 per foot run?

The first contractor, when I mention the soft closing thingi, sort out skirted the issue and said he will provide the best he can so it makes me worried he has no experience installing the more modern systems. Anyone can drill such tracks or not?

I would love to take on the first contractor (14k quote) but 14k is still lots of $ and if he fails to install the system properly, it may very well be 14k wasted, not 5k savings! BTW the first contractor didn't mention Lamitak. probably give me sth else. But does laminate quality really matter?

HOW???

Edited by simei_mum

aha with tile pricing!

ok, for floor tiles, I remember I chose the 1 foot square piece and these are $3 per piece then.

for wall tiles, i did choose the biggest they have and it is a rectangular one prob 600 x 900mm (not very certain) - this is an expensive one? Hmm, I do plan to go back to Hafary (so crowded lah) and slowly browse through. maybe i choose a cheaper one.

Sigh I'm so angry with myself. I typed my reply here to you four times and each time my browser went mad... now's my fifth.... :bangwall::bangwall::bangwall:

simeimom2.jpg

simeimom3.jpg

I tot of these two.. which one is it? *likely to be the second one cos it seems more logical*

As for the cabinets they work out to be $163 per foot run. $70-$90 cabinets are very cheap. $100 ones are reasonable I guess. I consider anything above $130 to be expensive. That said, however, I have to remind you that in your case you are only doing up your kitchen. Very often for us who reno our entire house, the contractors can charge us cheaper for some items to cover for cost for others and throw in a few freebies too. So for your case, it's common for them to mark up more.

To make up for that.... maybe you can hint for them to throw in some freebies? like the hob and hood? :) And the cabinet base free?

as for the soft-closing thing, I saw my contractor do it. He fixed up the cabinets with the normal hinges. Then the next day he put some thingie over them and TADA soft closing effect. :) As for the drawers they had special tracks that had the soft closing effect. But I reckon they aren't so expensive cos they are brandless and he does that for EVERYONE! :P

As for the tiles.. You might want to get smaller tiles which are lighter. OH ya I think the tile you chose should be 300X450 which is 1 ft X 1 1/2 ft. That seems to be the more common size. :) Cos for overlaying there is a risk of the tiles sliding and bigger tiles (600 x900) will make the risk higher. :) Knock on the tiles to hear for hollow sounds. If you have many tiles that sound hollow then you might want to re-consider overlaying since the tiles might pop. :)

As for laminate quality... mmmm I really didn't bother about this. BUT it does make a diff though. But it also depends on which ones you choose. I chose the glossy white ones and for most brands gloss laminates have this wave effect when looked at from the side. Apparently some good quality ones wun. But if you are good at taking care of your kitchen then I think it's ok.

What about your LG solid top? How much are they charging you?

Personally my parents and I think that handles are a bad idea.. haha cos they tend to hook on to your clothing from time to time.. or in my mom case, she bumps her hips against them :dunno: old people clumsier. :P So our kitchen is handleless. :)

Honestly after doing some calculations.. I think 14k is ok. only if workmanship is ok. you need to check their current projects ok? :)

Edited by pinkpetter

Pinkpetter, yes, your second layout is right except L-shape turns right not left to make the 6ft.

$163 per foot run - expensive oh......but this contractor was recommended by a friend who is very fussy, and he passed her expectations. He doesn't have a website nor does he have a showroom to show me his workmanship. Only friend's recommendation ler. enough or not?

cabinet base is included in his 'package'. Hob and hood - haha, I want the Fujioh hood and Teka hob and oven lar - I don;t think he can freebi these. I wish!

Actually both contractors already told me no more discount cos their original quote were higher.

With laminate, I will choose the earthy 'woody' looking type. It feels slightly rough by touch. Contractors said better not choose the super rough type hard to clean. BTW the 19k contractor promised his wood will be solid gd-quality type. He said something like the plywood or veneer will be solid(?) and it wouldn;t be two thin pieces of veneer glued together onto the plywood which many other contractors do to cut cost. Well, I didn't understand what he means though. Oh yes he also said he let me choose from the scratch-resistant range of Lamitak.

LG solid top is 38 ft = $3000 (contractor A) or $3600 (contractor B). OK?

Noted on floor tiles and handles!

You mean I shd ask him for his current projects and ask to go visit these places??? I would love to but surely these owners wouldn't appreciate a stranger going into their homes to look-see?

Edited by simei_mum