Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sillyme

Portable Air Conditioner

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hello all.

Just want to find out if anyone uses portable air conditioner? Is it good enough to cool a living room?

Im thinking of getting one as well...looking at the Eurpace EPAC 14J selling at $1k at Courts (website here). My living room is just too hot to stand and i can't install anymore compressors as I am in an old resale flat.

Still researching and looking around, not sure if its powerful enough to cool my living room (5 rm flat)...

Anyone have any experience with this?

Ive been a room before with one; although with many people inside (about 20-30pax). it doesn't really cool a big room, not only it's very noisy and expensive, you need to put it near a window so you can hang the hose out...otherwise it would be unsightly...

I'm thinking of getting those air coolers instead...cheaper, no need for hose. It won't cool a room and the 'coldness' only last as long as the ice (about 4hrs). Personally it's ok, the most I'll just sit beside it. Hopefully it doesn't consume as much electricity too.

Ive been a room before with one; although with many people inside (about 20-30pax). it doesn't really cool a big room, not only it's very noisy and expensive, you need to put it near a window so you can hang the hose out...otherwise it would be unsightly...

I'm thinking of getting those air coolers instead...cheaper, no need for hose. It won't cool a room and the 'coldness' only last as long as the ice (about 4hrs). Personally it's ok, the most I'll just sit beside it. Hopefully it doesn't consume as much electricity too.

thanks for sharing...together with you, everyone has been telling me bad things about these portable aircons exactly like how u said it. so i really don't want to get them anymore (unless really no choice). will talk to my aircon people and see if they can add another unit to my system 3 - the most i have to make sure i dun turn on all at one time.

I was recceing around for aircon last weekend, carrefour was having offer on portable aircons. It appeared in the papers.

7000 BTU portable aircon (enough for cooling a room) was selling ard $399, free delivery provided but not installation ($45). Brand is "Tempt" never heard before...

They do have bigger capacity aircon like 9k BTU or 11,000 BTU selling like 2-300 more, seems quite powerful.

Im not sure why they call it portable aircon, coz you need to have an outlet for the hot air to blow out. Then the technician need to do customise your window, from what i see, its almost similar to window casement unit kinda installation. You cant push it around..

I was recceing around for aircon last weekend, carrefour was having offer on portable aircons. It appeared in the papers.

7000 BTU portable aircon (enough for cooling a room) was selling ard $399, free delivery provided but not installation ($45). Brand is "Tempt" never heard before...

They do have bigger capacity aircon like 9k BTU or 11,000 BTU selling like 2-300 more, seems quite powerful.

Im not sure why they call it portable aircon, coz you need to have an outlet for the hot air to blow out. Then the technician need to do customise your window, from what i see, its almost similar to window casement unit kinda installation. You cant push it around..

hmm thanks for the heads up - i'll pop by to check it out later (i work nearby). I think may be a big problem for me as my windows are casement windows...dun see how they can mount it.

hmmm lol i did go there but forgot to check out the aircon...will do so soon. I can't add another unit to my system 3 unless i upgrade the whole compressor to system 4 hai....in hindsight, should have done that all the way from the start during reno - but no idea the hall will be so hot.

so im back to buying a portable aircon again...

checked with aircon people and no way i can install those casement type aircon on my window so those options are out...only ones for me are the standing ones.

Hello all.

Just want to find out if anyone uses portable air conditioner? Is it good enough to cool a living room?

Therefore it's important first to consider the right size comparison between the large size of your room and the size power cooling capacity of the unit. I recommended you to choose 14,000 BTU portable air conditioner!

portable-air-conditioner.jpg

ac

Edited by portableac7

Ok its been quite a long time and after tons of research, im still back at square one. Seems like it needs the april heatwave to motivate me to continue this project...heh

Will be buying 1 EPAC14j (14k BTU) to aircon my hall. As my hall is big, nearly 400sq ft, i'm going to partition the hall into half and modify my casement windows to fit the exhaust vent.

They said though stated cooling size is 150 sq ft, it can go up to 180 sq ft. Don't think its enough though (mine is 200 sq ft) but im all out of options...the price didn't drop after all this time as well.

Ill let you all know if it works...its seriously too hot now...

Tried buying those water cooled ones turn it on full blast in front of me and its still too hot (even with ice box in).

Edited by Sharpion

Those air coolers are just fans with a water compartment. Water would be mixed with the air before cooling exiting. This somehow cools the room but obviously would not be anything close to an aircon.

Btw when you test these out in shopping centres, they feel cold because they are blowing cold, aircon air out.

Those air coolers are just fans with a water compartment. Water would be mixed with the air before cooling exiting. This somehow cools the room but obviously would not be anything close to an aircon.

Btw when you test these out in shopping centres, they feel cold because they are blowing cold, aircon air out.

i'm not getting those water cooled ones...tried them already but as you said, they were useless. The one im thinking of getting uses R-410A coolant to make the air cooler. You can see it here.

Edited by Sharpion

i'm not getting those water cooled ones...tried them already but as you said, they were useless. The one im thinking of getting uses R-410A coolant to make the air cooler. You can see it here.

Have you checked out the local brand, Trends? It's cheap, saw one selling S$399 for 9000 BTU, but also saw a lot of bad reviews. Maybe the more powerful models are better...

Ok its been quite a long time and after tons of research, im still back at square one. Seems like it needs the april heatwave to motivate me to continue this project...heh

Will be buying 1 EPAC14j (14k BTU) to aircon my hall. As my hall is big, nearly 400sq ft, i'm going to partition the hall into half and modify my casement windows to fit the exhaust vent.

They said though stated cooling size is 150 sq ft, it can go up to 180 sq ft. Don't think its enough though (mine is 200 sq ft) but im all out of options...the price didn't drop after all this time as well.

Ill let you all know if it works...its seriously too hot now...

Tried buying those water cooled ones turn it on full blast in front of me and its still too hot (even with ice box in).

Dear Sharpion,

May I know how is your EPAC14J (14K BTU) aircon on your 200 sqft hall ? I am thinking of getting one for a 500sqft room - my current air con in the room is getting old. I am quite concern if it is noisy.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone tried Splendid Portable Air-con? The only portable aircon with external compressor, running on normal 3-pin plug. Made in Italy. 15K BTU. Price tag is $3k. =)

I'm dreaming to have one.

Edited by sunnytan31