Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Misc100

What Can You Do If Your House Has Got Afternoon Sun?

I like yr attitudes/mentality, will find life more enjoyable.

Thanks bepgof... it's so different from my double storey landed and condo back in KL.... so much bigger than the pigeon holes in SG :(

I have been a DIYer for the last 30 years, so I do many of the reno /etc myself..... including my extended family's houses.

I am not a brand person, straight and pure practical... but somehow, my purchases are also affected by the 'shape' of the product (must be pleasant to the eye)... not cheap or exp... but worth the price that I'm paying for them.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Actually I don't like afternoon sun house but i have got one finally (funny hor)....We make such decision as the view is super good (unblock) and windy too so it should be ok. My family will be out the whole day till 7pm, so we will use the Day and Night curtain to block the Sunday, hopefully it can help to minimise the heat...^^. Perhaps we can look at the bright side, afternoon sun helps to brighten up the whole house and also get rid of the unpleasant smell of our hse. Most important is one must feel comfortable with their house....

Actually I don't like afternoon sun house but i have got one finally (funny hor)....We make such decision as the view is super good (unblock) and windy too so it should be ok. My family will be out the whole day till 7pm, so we will use the Day and Night curtain to block the Sunday, hopefully it can help to minimise the heat...^^. Perhaps we can look at the bright side, afternoon sun helps to brighten up the whole house and also get rid of the unpleasant smell of our hse. Most important is one must feel comfortable with their house....

think it's not too bad. I also got one afternoon sun, good thing is the house is bright and cheery and honestly , it's not warm as oven like I imagined. I fixed a ceiling fan in the hall and really helps makes the hall airy. Really good for suning and drying our stuff. can get blinds that filter off the UV rays and paste those films too. There will be many good and bad with every home, just need to adapt and life will be so much happier =)

think it's not too bad. I also got one afternoon sun, good thing is the house is bright and cheery and honestly , it's not warm as oven like I imagined. I fixed a ceiling fan in the hall and really helps makes the hall airy. Really good for suning and drying our stuff. can get blinds that filter off the UV rays and paste those films too. There will be many good and bad with every home, just need to adapt and life will be so much happier =)

Agree with Sunshine Heng. In addition, house owners can put up some sunshade to block off parts of the strong sunlight if the sunlight is too strong. When the house doesn't have much sunlight, it is much harder to introduce natural light into the house.

Cheers!

My place also has the afternoon sun on certain part of the house.

I was kiasu, had the Solar film, blind, blackout curtains to block out all the sun.

My MBR wall wuld have the afternoon sun with a mini window exposed, guess its tough to control how hot the wall is at night when the sun goes down. We can only turn on the aircon to cool the place. Other than that, we have a great view and we are on the highest floor that has super high ceiling, most buildings would have a buffer area for the top floor

if like that say, those point blocks can only buy the 2 units with morning sun nia...

You are precisely, absolutely correct nia. I was looking high & low for "morning sun" units only & high floor. Heng, effects pay. I noticed most resale units in mkt are, either low fl, or evening sun.

Edited by bepgof

You are precisely, absolutely correct nia. I was looking high & low for "morning sun" units only & high floor. Heng, effects pay. I noticed most resale units in mkt are, either low fl, or evening sun.

another thing, last time i know the selling price of the highest unit is often lower than the one below due to potential water seepage from roof. is it still true now? :rolleyes:

my current place has sun only in the service balcony in the back (must be the position of the building), it's good for drying clothes (must wash first thing in the morning). Frustrating coz I like to putter around with plants in the balcony and my babies are not getting any direct sunlight at all!! Would also love the feeling of basking in the sun over a cup of coffee on the weekends.... I know, I'm weird :)

my current place has sun only in the service balcony in the back (must be the position of the building), it's good for drying clothes (must wash first thing in the morning). Frustrating coz I like to putter around with plants in the balcony and my babies are not getting any direct sunlight at all!! Would also love the feeling of basking in the sun over a cup of coffee on the weekends.... I know, I'm weird :)

My current house faces north west and has afternoon sun from abt 4:30 to 6:30. but strangely it's not nearly as hot as my previous one which faced east and got the morning sun. I installed wooden blinds in the living room to shield the sun from coming through. The good thing I find abt using such wooden blinds is it allows me to adjust the tilt so that while sunlight still comes it doesn't enter directly into the room. I would avoid using curtains if you get the afternoon sun as the only way to keep the sun out is to close the curtains completely, which leaves the house very dark.

mine has morning and afternoon sun.

I stay high floor, not all windows opened, but got use curtains.

1. I dun really feel that it's very hot.

2. I feel very happy when my house is bright during the day.

3. My sunset view is superb every evening when I come home walking along the corridor.

Our flat has one side facing the evening sun. feels like an oven by 3-4pm.

tried to investigate using solar films, but realized there is a hdb restriction on solar films with a reflective value of more than 20%. if it is not reflecting the heat, then what is the point, right?

shut all windows, draw day curtains + curtains and hide in the rooms on the other end of the house.

http://hdbrenovation2009.blogspot.sg/2010/08/making-long-shaped-living-room-feel.html

thats what we do!

Need Advise.

My house gets afternoon sun. By 7pm the entire walls are heated up. I can't store fruits and electrical stuffs in the cupboards against these walls, and I don't know what I can store in these cupboards. Anyone has any solutions about the heated up walls? Feel that my cupboards are wasting space now.

My parent's house is like that and my room is facing west with corridor in front. Still hot hot hot!!!

New house is north south facing but MBR wall faces west. Dunno how hot it'll be. More south west actually so keeping fingers crossed.