Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
st002

Materials That U Regret Using/ Installing

Very informative thread :) and for us the answer is basically whatever that is hard to maintain for the long run.

Can the moderator "Sticky" this topic?

Very Regret! use made in china white homo tiles :bangwall:

What was wrong with your tiles?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

for ikea s/s stuff, get the grundtal series

only that is 100% s/s and doesn't rust

my grundtal towel bar is more than a year old and still as good as new :notti:

i bought the grundtal stainless steel hooks. keeping my fingers crossed that they won't tarnish.

just to add my 'regret': using solid surface top which has suffered huge patches of discolouration (don't look like scratches) - and i have not even moved in yet!

1) Amasco brand fans: Bought two for bedrooms, both got spoilt within 3 months, had to pay $35 'transportation fee' even though it was under warranty. Master bedroom fan spoilt again after 6 months, this time I threw it out and replaced it with crestar - working superb so far. The other one is now going so slow, even at max speed it is slower than the medium speed setting on my crestar.

2) Any IKEA brand tables, book shelves, etc that are not solid pine wood, i.e., almost all the ikea junk they sell made of particle board and similar material. They simply can't handle the weight and start sagging and looking ugly after a few months. Even my computer table which had a small printer and an LCD monitor started sagging. The bookshelf was a disaster after 3 months.

I have several items from the grundtal series, so far still ok. *cross fingers*

As for the rest of the rusty stainless steel ikea stuff, I took them all back for a refund. The guy at the refund counter of ikea alexandra passed condescending remarks like, "this is the first complaint". :furious:

Unless I am the only buyer, or else how can something like this be isolated?

If not, most people threw them away not knowing that they are entitled to a refund.

ikeaset.jpg

ikea3.jpg

ikea1.jpg

ikea2.jpg

ikea5.jpg

I'm away most of the time, this set of bathroom accessories SEMVIK ($29) from IKEA was in my MBR toilet, hardly used or even wet. Once I came back, and I realised the handsoap looks and smells funny, the liquid was blackish and it smell like rust. Imagine my horror when I open up the soap dispenser, it's rusting within.

I took a closer look at the toothbrush holder, the cup and the soap bar holder, all of them in various state of rusting... I called them up over the phone on this and I was told that I "lack maintenance", "stainless steel also must maintain". But I can return the item if I'm not satisfied with the purchase. Frankly, I don't really know how to keep stainless steel from rusting if it should even rust in the first place.

Actually, should we have a separate thread on electrical appliances/home products which fail to live up to it's expectations?

I have bought a good number of items here which I would seriously want to return for cash if possible. Within weeks and few months of use, it's stopped working. Of course, such reviews must come with photos and a brief description, at least it's not badmouthing if we have some sort of evidence our complaints.

Just to name one or two, water filters from hyflux, novita aromadiffusers ..

With a list like that, we can alert each other (the consumers) into making better decision when it comes to spending our money, on something that works, and avoid those which doesn't.

Edited by lawry

another thing about ikea stuff

even for the solid pine series, better to get their contractor to assemble for you

those that was assembled for me lasted for quite a while and can take great weight

but those that i assembled myself sagged when i have something heavy on it :dunno:

Oh no, all the pinewood furniture I bought from IKEA were assembled by my bf... and he is such a careless guy who often make mistakes... he assembled-dismantled-reassembled my bookshelves, shoe cabinet & arm chair at least once 8|

As for the rest of the rusty stainless steel ikea stuff, I took them all back for a refund. The guy at the refund counter of ikea alexandra passed condescending remarks like, "this is the first complaint". :furious:

If not, most people threw them away not knowing that they are entitled to a refund.

I'm away most of the time, this set of bathroom accessories SEMVIK ($29) from IKEA was in my MBR toilet, hardly used or even wet. Once I came back, and I realised the handsoap looks and smells funny, the liquid was blackish and it smell like rust. Imagine my horror when I open up the soap dispenser, it's rusting within.

I took a closer look at the toothbrush holder, the cup and the soap bar holder, all of them in various state of rusting... I called them up over the phone on this and I was told that I "lack maintenance", "stainless steel also must maintain". But I can return the item if I'm not satisfied with the purchase. Frankly, I don't really know how to keep stainless steel from rusting if it should even rust in the first place.

Actually, should we have a separate thread on electrical appliances/home products which fail to live up to it's expectations?

I have bought a good number of items here which I would seriously want to return for cash if possible. Within weeks and few months of use, it's stopped working. Of course, such reviews must come with photos and a brief description, at least it's not badmouthing if we have some sort of evidence our complaints.

With a list like that, we can alert each other (the consumers) into making better decision when it comes to spending our money, on something that works, and avoid those which doesn't.

CAN RETURN?????? I HAVE LOADS TO RETURN!!! is there a timeframe to return?? thanks for the info!!

Im sure when I return the person will also say im the first right? hahaha

Edited by yapyap

Ya, i didnt know can return... so all throw away already.... need receipt?

Otherwise, can use until rusty then exchange new one... :notti:

ikeaset.jpg

ikea3.jpg

ikea1.jpg

ikea2.jpg

ikea5.jpg

what problems do you have with the hyflux water filter and novita aromadiffusers?

My Vhive Computer Tables just arrived today :) hopefully nothing will go wrong with em'

hi all,

how about vhive bookshelves? any complaints? i just bought some vhive bookshelves, hopefully its not a regret

CAN RETURN?????? I HAVE LOADS TO RETURN!!! is there a timeframe to return?? thanks for the info!!

Im sure when I return the person will also say im the first right? hahaha

There's a t/c to it, returns can be done only if it's within 100 days, in original resellable packaging if you're returning a regret purchase, or if returning a lousy items who failed it's purpose, and must have receipt also. But it can always be a housewarming gift. :x I'm quite sure that guy will tell you the same thing before he gives you the cash voucher unwillingly. :P

Ya, i didnt know can return... so all throw away already.... need receipt?

Otherwise, can use until rusty then exchange new one... :notti:

Hahha, I would want to stay off all their stainless steel items forever. Once bitten twice shy, I got bitten twice. After my stint with rusty toilet accessories. I decide to give them another chance many months later. I bought a set of cooking pots, thinking that if it's used for cooking, it shouldn't rust and they should have used better grade stainless steel like 18/10. I was wrong .. I used it once to cook maggie mee, and the insides tarnished, 2 more uses, and I think I can throw it away. :jawdrop:

I didn't wait, after 1 use, I returned it. Even though it's $14.90 and my transport would have taken half the cost, I still want to return it. Again that guy said, first complain. I told him flat, "people are using them as disposables, it's not worth their while to come all the way down to claim $14.90 off a bad purchase." I bought myself a proper WMF stainless steel pot after that, so far so good. :D

Photos of the IKEA pot (after one use)

ikeapot.jpg

ikeapot1.jpg

ikeapot2.jpg

It's not a stain, I can't seem to wash it off, it just discolored and tarnished after one use.

Edited by lawry

what problems do you have with the hyflux water filter and novita aromadiffusers?

Very looong story. :P

Hyflux, I'm refering to their elife shower filters. http://www.hyflux.com/faq_showerfilter.htm

It costs $169, a piece of concealed plastic filter, which claims to remove chlorine from the water (if you buy that theory that our water is quite dirty, and the added chlorine is bad for your hair, probably you might have noticed this product in the market). It was introduced by this sales promoter in Tangs who claimed that it's good for preventing hair drop, though it's not explicitly mentioned in the box nor it's marketed as such.

I was skeptical, but decided to get it anyway, the immediate results were astonishing, from the usual clumps of hair at the hair trap after every hair wash, it was reduced to a few strands. I got my mother to test it out and she got the same results. I fixed that filter to a dedicated tap, solely for washing hair and nothing else.

Within less than 3 months, the results were less than ideal, it wasn't as good as it was before. I read the box again, it says it will lasts 6 months, I read the website, it says 12 months. Such inconsistencies. But if I use it only for washing hair, shouldn't it last much longer than it's supposed lifespan for someone using it for daily showers?

How does one accurately determine whether 3mths, 6mths or 12mths?

~ number of users?

~ water temperature?

~ original water condition?

~ time taken in the showers?

~ amount of water that passed through the filter?

There's simply no indicator on the filter that tells us it's time to change it.

So I wrote in to check and they couldn't give me any satisfying answer or solution. Of course, more hair drop is not the conclusive way to prove that the filter is not working anymore, but are there other ways to prove that the filter is still working on their part?

With their kind of (mis)assurance, I decided not to replace it and I won't be getting that again, not just that item, but anything else from Hyflux. I was blinded by the sales talk, looking back, it comes in a cheap looking box with an enclosed piece of vague instruction leaflet within, which doesn't even say much. I must have been crazy to have spent $169 on that. (Yes, the amount of money guys spent to retain their hair) :bangwall:

Next, novita .. let me get some pics.