Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
st002

Materials That U Regret Using/ Installing

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, but I don't have unreasonable demands. Basic requirements, appliance should work within it's warranty period at the very minimum. To break down under normal use in less than 2 or 3 months is unacceptable to me.

I have this strange habit of taking photos of all my purchases, the date/time stamping helps. :P

novitaroma.jpg

Novita Aroma Diffuser (bought 22 Sept 08) $69

I bought this diffuser for my essential oils, to fragrant the house (Citrus/Florals), to get rid of mosquitos (Citronella), to freshen up (mints and herbs). It's a better alternative than a burner with candle, perhaps.

After using less than a month, I noticed a black spot on the "ultrasonic gold disc". By early November, black spot grew into a black patch. I called up Novita, they told me I could bring it down to tagore lane for repair. The other option is to leave it at one of their sales counters, I can only get it back 2 weeks later. While I was at the counter, I open up their demo sets, some of their gold disc has almost turned completely black.

novita2.jpg

You can't classify this under normal wear and tear, not in a month or two. That disc is the main component which affects the functionality of the diffuser, and if it tarnish/peel that fast, I can only conclude it's of inferior quality and it has a short lifespan.

novita.jpg

After the repair/replacement, I got it back, after using for a month, new black spot appeared. I called them up again. They checked against my warranty and they sent me a white disc, which is supposedly more lasting. But I would have to replace it myself. I was also told that the disc costs $10. If I require a replacement in future, I would have to pay for it. Fair enough.

Just last week, a certain component on the white cover dropped out. Sigh.

I took it to the counter where I bought the item from, before I could even open my mouth, I got bombarded by the sales promoter, ------ it's normal lah, see my demo piece, mine also drop, still can use what, you send in for repair they also use superglue to stick it for you, your house got superglue, you ownself stick la, or you insist on putting here, then my office will use their superglue and stick for you and you come back 2 weeks later???? ------

Fine, your office can do it. thanks.

She decided that it's not worth the hassle, so she replace the part for me with one of her working demo set. At the same time, she was pestering me to get the "new design" $89 just released by Novita, better, meaner, prettier. I don't think so ... I mean it looks good, but if it only lasts that long?

I don't really know what's gonna happen to it next, it's been barely 6mths, and I don't even use it daily. But I've already started looking for alternatives. I searched for aroma diffusers. and guess what I found?

Do take a look at number 2 and number 4 (novita's new design)

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/chic...-catalog-1.html

Not implying anything, it could well have been China who ripped off Novita's design or Novita sourced out these China manufacturers, print their brand on it and brought it in.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Kitchen sink and tap from Poh Joo... the sink starts rusting in less than 2 weeks we moved in. We worked in the daytime so only use the sink at night and sometimes in the morning, it's not that it's soak in water all the time, yet so fast start to rust liao. :bleah:

Another nightmare is the tap, it leaked and burst water after 2 months... :bleah: Really lauya ... and somemore the pricing for both items is midrange ... we got a emergency $30 cheap tap to replace and so far, it's still working pretty well... :sport-smiley-003:

I also have same woes about Ikea!!

I bought two pillow cushions (the bluish colour ones with japanese round motifs - they are STILL selling them) and they are not cheap but after just ONE handwash, the colours run. My sister also bought same cushions and the colours run too.

So we took taxi all the way there to return and imagine our frustration when the guy said "you are FIRST one to complain". Even said my laundry detergent is too strong (what I onyl use standard Persil). Then he said must be my helper's fault.

But is it coincidence both my sister and I had colour run with two different laundry detergents and two different helpers to wash?

They refunded us in the end but already we were blowing steam from our ears.

My Amasco fans are fine ler - very good in fact. But lesson I learnt - always try to buy direct. I buy from Amasco factory direct cos installation process is very important - they are trained to install ONLY Amasco fans. Very expert - balancing done so well even if the fans are at top speed, no noise or shaking at all.

Share some of mine.

1. Height of sinks and kitchen cabinets, make it suit the taller person. I have to bend down slightly to wash the dishes and when there's lots of dishes to wash, can get uncomfortable after awhile.

2. Lesser windows the better... more windows, clean more...

3. Lights, some look very nice but if the wattage of the light is high, you'll incur larger bills and probably on them lesser.

4. Aircon the whole house if you can afford it, with our weather, you never know when it'll be needed.

I am currently renovating kitchen. Any "words of wisdom" or "regrets"?

for me, i'm really glad to have all drawers for my kitchen cabinet

it's so much more convenient to have drawers compared to shelves

also, if possible get your carpenter to install the tracks at the bottom instead of the sides

looks nicer and gives more width :notti:

also, white glossy laminate is pretty good

doesn't turn yellow and quite easy to clean compared to matt/textured laminate :yamseng:

Bought 2 Elmark water heater. One was working till now, the other rarely used coz in spare room, but spoiled on the 3rd mth. Call them for warranty service, they wanna charge me $30 for transport, even if the equipment is faulty. I check their warranty card: :bangwall: I swear never to buy any Elmark brand electrical applicances, ever.

68745985.jpg

arent ikea suppose to be having a "no question ask return policy"?

But it didn't stop the guy at the returns counter from bitching and insulting before taking it back. I was almost tempted to launch "www.ikea-refunds.com". It will contain a full list of substandard items which should never have been sold. I will accept international submissions and complaints from all over the world. That guy at the returns counter should check my site often before he passes unnecessary remarks like, "This is the first complain." Unless it's his first day at work, else it shan't be any other excuse. 8|

How on earth could those rusty stainless steel items be an isolated issue? More likely people are wasting their money at ikea in exchange for low grade junk down their rubbish bin not knowing their return options. If not, it's not worth their while to drive all the way down to return a $15 item either. :bangwall:

lawry, thx i will check your blog now....

Back to Ikea - I like their designs really but some things aren'just aren't long lasting. I also had rust problem but with their 365+ frypan and knife. Bought them only 1 month ago and already the coating of the pan has started to peel off. Yes the peeling is minor but only after 1 month of usage? The sharp point of the knife is also already rusty. I could have dried it more diligently but I thought stainless steel doesn't get rusty? Anyway I threw both items away without getting refund cos too draining to argue with the Ikea people.

• Like 1

365+ also??

I assume that the cheap set, 3 pieces of cookware for $14.90 is of inferior quality. But 365+ is the more expensive range, I didn't expect them to peel or rust also. That's very bad, there is no excuse for stainless steel to rust, especially when it comes to cookware. I have some unknown brand stainless steel cookware at home, never had issues with rusting also.

for me, i'm really glad to have all drawers for my kitchen cabinet

it's so much more convenient to have drawers compared to shelves

also, if possible get your carpenter to install the tracks at the bottom instead of the sides

looks nicer and gives more width :notti:

also, white glossy laminate is pretty good

doesn't turn yellow and quite easy to clean compared to matt/textured laminate :yamseng:

lamitak better or lamchuan or EDL for white glossy laminate? thks.