Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
st002

Materials That U Regret Using/ Installing

i'm still using those HDB wall and floor kitchen/toilet tiles.. yeah they are hard to clean. I see my wife every sat scrub the tiles, I ended up buying her a 1.9KWh water jet compressor. now we just use the water jet to wash our kitchen and 2 toilets.. 30mins all tiles scrub as if they are new as day one. I just have to remember not to stay too long at the same spot. I tried to remove a stain, I ended up chipping the tile.

my water jet is by karcher. I remember spilling milo on the concrete outside my maindoor. every month the ah neh come and spray water also cannot remove it. I keh kiang water jet the stain.. now the concrete outside very rough and got a groove. the waterjet dug out some cement. :bangwall:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Some of my regrets:

Not installing air-con and ceiling fan in my living room.

Should stick to matt floor tiles. Would have save much time in mopping without a care on water marks! Better still, I would go for broken marble. Old fashioned but no need to worry about dirty groove.

Should go towards greener purpose eg. energy saving items like light bulbs instead of fancy lightings, energy saving refrigerator etc.

Should do away with white sofa. Starting sure nice, but need maintenance....

Do away with shower screen, so cumbersome to clean.

Pretty much that's it. I also want to share some others which I think I did right.

Choose white basin instead of glass basin for toilet. No issue with maintenance.

Dark matt floor tiles for kitchen. Looks clean everyday.

Just love my roller blinds. Little maintenance and durable. 2 yrs and still working well. (of cos, not from Ikea)

lawry, thx i will check your blog now....

Back to Ikea - I like their designs really but some things aren'just aren't long lasting. I also had rust problem but with their 365+ frypan and knife. Bought them only 1 month ago and already the coating of the pan has started to peel off. Yes the peeling is minor but only after 1 month of usage? The sharp point of the knife is also already rusty. I could have dried it more diligently but I thought stainless steel doesn't get rusty? Anyway I threw both items away without getting refund cos too draining to argue with the Ikea people.

Dont buy Ikea cooking stuff...... I once bought a kettle.... just what... the inside rust? Yucks... I have been drinking rusty boiled water...........:)

Some of my regrets:

Not installing air-con and ceiling fan in my living room.

Should stick to matt floor tiles. Would have save much time in mopping without a care on water marks! Better still, I would go for broken marble. Old fashioned but no need to worry about dirty groove.

Should go towards greener purpose eg. energy saving items like light bulbs instead of fancy lightings, energy saving refrigerator etc.

Should do away with white sofa. Starting sure nice, but need maintenance....

Do away with shower screen, so cumbersome to clean.

Pretty much that's it. I also want to share some others which I think I did right.

Choose white basin instead of glass basin for toilet. No issue with maintenance.

Just love my roller blinds. Little maintenance and durable. 2 yrs and still working well. (of cos, not from Ikea)

May I know the contact for your roller blinds? How much did you spend? thanks!

ikea cutlery.. totally CMI! starts to turn rusty after 1st wash, and even though i seldom use. I threw away several knives and forks.. regretted in buying.. thinking was cheap and look pretty good back then.. :curse: I still have 1 pack unopened.. :bangwall:

Hmm another thing i feel useless is cozy corner. seriously other than sitting on the sofa, watching tv and sit infront of computer, we nv use the cozy corner at all.. Such a waste to built a nice platform and does nothing there.. :bangwall:

Agree that Poh Joo toilet stuff is horrible. it's starting to tarnish after 4 months. Use only at night and morning.

Try to fix curtains instead of roman blinds, maintanence is definitely easier.

Regretted using black matt floor tiles inthe kitchen. I'm a clean freak and the water marks and smudges are really getting to me.

Glass shower screens are also a pain. Very hard to remove the soap scum even though I clean every weekend with bleach. Can see the streaks and water marks after 3-4 days.

Also regretted having so many mirros in the house. Makes the house big and bright, but if you don't clean often, can see the dust and smudges. Very irritating.....

Edited by sophia

ikea cutlery.. totally CMI! starts to turn rusty after 1st wash, and even though i seldom use. I threw away several knives and forks.. regretted in buying.. thinking was cheap and look pretty good back then.. :curse: I still have 1 pack unopened.. :bangwall:

Hmm another thing i feel useless is cozy corner. seriously other than sitting on the sofa, watching tv and sit infront of computer, we nv use the cozy corner at all.. Such a waste to built a nice platform and does nothing there.. :bangwall:

Agree with the ikea cutlery!... since there's only 2 of us.. so we took out 2 sets for our daily use, the remaining few sets were washed and placed nicely in the cutlery tray in the drawer for guests. To our horror, for no reason those in the drawer started turning rusty... :dunno: & the cheap sauce pans and pots we got ikea started to tarnish after few use... really disgusting... :bleah: so we heeded one of the forumer's advice... got ourselves a WMF set.. no regrets.. :sport-smiley-004:

Agree with the ikea cutlery!... since there's only 2 of us.. so we took out 2 sets for our daily use, the remaining few sets were washed and placed nicely in the cutlery tray in the drawer for guests. To our horror, for no reason those in the drawer started turning rusty... :dunno: & the cheap sauce pans and pots we got ikea started to tarnish after few use... really disgusting... :bleah: so we heeded one of the forumer's advice... got ourselves a WMF set.. no regrets.. :sport-smiley-004:

Holy ......

After reading your account, I went to check on my unused cutlery meant for guests.

Mine is the DRAGON set, a housewarming gift from my friends.

Dragon Cultery

Those in the drawers all rusted as well! I'm making a trip down to IKEA for a return, don't throw yours away, bring them down to IKEA and return them for IKEA vouchers, if you lost your receipt, they can always call them housewarming gifts. :D

Added: Guess what, I just called them, and they used the usual "You're the first case" excuse. Maybe all of us should gather all our rusty IKEAs down for a mass return?

Edited by lawry

tsk tsk tsk... how can Ikea do business like this?... :jawdrop: gonna boycott their so called stainless steel and wood stuff for a long while... did I mention the 2piece wooden chopping board.. it turn mouldy at the sides after few uses... another boo boo... :curse:

Try to fix curtains instead of roman blinds, maintanence is definitely easier.

Regretted using black matt floor tiles inthe kitchen. I'm a clean freak and the water marks and smudges are really getting to me.

Interesting to see conflicting views here.. one man's meat is another poison it seems

Just to add, my bro-in-law gave us a coffee table from ikea. Its a simple black colour wooden table. I still see them on their shelf during my last visit few months ago.

After a few weeks / months, we noticed that the floor seems to have sands or dust.. and when we shift the table, its like powdery on the underside. We went down and look under the table. The underside was not laminated or should said its BARE.. and there's lots of round round mound forming. They are really gross looking. Those powdery stuff are from the mounds form under the table. So hubby took a tissue to wipe them off. However, in around 1week time, they 'grew' back again. And its really alot of those round round mounds.... to cut the story short, we threw the table away as we really cant stand the mounds. We wasn't sure if they will develop into worms or something.

I guess that those wood that ikea use is really cmi kind. With such experience, I think we won't buy any wooden stuff from there in the near future.

Just to add, my bro-in-law gave us a coffee table from ikea. Its a simple black colour wooden table. I still see them on their shelf during my last visit few months ago.

After a few weeks / months, we noticed that the floor seems to have sands or dust.. and when we shift the table, its like powdery on the underside. We went down and look under the table. The underside was not laminated or should said its BARE.. and there's lots of round round mound forming. They are really gross looking. Those powdery stuff are from the mounds form under the table. So hubby took a tissue to wipe them off. However, in around 1week time, they 'grew' back again. And its really alot of those round round mounds.... to cut the story short, we threw the table away as we really cant stand the mounds. We wasn't sure if they will develop into worms or something.

I guess that those wood that ikea use is really cmi kind. With such experience, I think we won't buy any wooden stuff from there in the near future.

My case is different from yours.

Those tables/shelves that I bought from IKEA are still going well, no mounds or moulds or whatever.

But the expensive kitchen cabinet I paid to H* B* to customise for me has started to produce powdery stuff on some edges/corners or turn yellowish.

something like this?

http://www.moldinspector.com/images/crawl%...oist%20mold.jpg

some tips on mold remover

http://www.moldinspector.com/mold_removal.htm

cheap toilet bowls (no power when flushing) and sinks from sim siang choon. all stink and stain. regret stinging on these.

my advice to all: pay more and get better quality toilet bowls and sinks, it is short-sighted to go for cheap like me. these are heavy duty items worth paying a bit more.

cheap toilet bowls (no power when flushing) and sinks from sim siang choon. all stink and stain. regret stinging on these.

my advice to all: pay more and get better quality toilet bowls and sinks, it is short-sighted to go for cheap like me. these are heavy duty items worth paying a bit more.

I was thinking cheap sinks are ok. Toilet bowls understand that the flushing system is important.