Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
st002

Materials That U Regret Using/ Installing

Hi Hi,

Do you have the address that you bought your clipsal from Choo Siang? Can you PM me? How much did you paid for? I am looking at the C-Metro series. Those that are grey and with LED lighting cos my folks are staying with us. Better for them.

Block 633 Veerasamy Road #01-108. Singapore 20063 is Choo Chiang's address.

They have other branches in Singapore, you can refer to yellowpages.

If I'm not wrong C-Metro is $4 to $12 depending on how many gang.

Edited by Cloyn

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

We regret spending so much on renovation to overhaul our EM which we have recently sold. The buyers only need a new coat of paint and moved in days after we handed over the keys. We did so many built-ins as we thought we would be staying there for years but life is so unpredictable that we were forced to sell due to unforeseen circumstances.

The first thing we regretted was to do up the flooring with homogeneous tiles. It stained easily and was not as shining as we like it to be. The tiles look dull and the ugliness cant be cleaned away and just hate looking at it when the lights shine in from the balcony. The grout lines gets dirty so easily and given up on cleaning it. Should have done up the flooring with either marbles or granite.

Laminated flooring. No complaints about laminated flooring but should have done up with parquet since it does make a different to the valuation.

Hi Hi,

Do you have the address that you bought your clipsal from Choo Siang? Can you PM me? How much did you paid for? I am looking at the C-Metro series. Those that are grey and with LED lighting cos my folks are staying with us. Better for them.

Hi, one thing to note about those LED lighting.

I read if the LED blows, it would become a normal switch, you can't replace that LED.

I did not get any clipsal switches from them, I got the default ones from my ID.

Choo Chiang Marketing Pte Ltd

Address: 10 Woodlands Loop Singapore 738388

Telephone: (65)-63685922

Fax: (65)-63635922

This is their address which I found on the internet.

I'm not sure about the prices too, maybe you can call them to check?

They should have other branches also, try looking for one that's nearer to your place. :)

Hi, one thing to note about those LED lighting.

I read if the LED blows, it would become a normal switch, you can't replace that LED.

I did not get any clipsal switches from them, I got the default ones from my ID.

Choo Chiang Marketing Pte Ltd

Address: 10 Woodlands Loop Singapore 738388

Telephone: (65)-63685922

Fax: (65)-63635922

This is their address which I found on the internet.

I'm not sure about the prices too, maybe you can call them to check?

They should have other branches also, try looking for one that's nearer to your place. :)

Choo Chiang has a website http://www.ccm.sg/index.html.

Check it out for other branches.

For prices of clipsal with blue led, this is what I gathered from renotalk postings.

1 gang: $12

2 gang: $23.80

3 gang: $31.50

4 gang: $42.00

Prices are not recent but may be use as reference.

Hi Lawry,

Thanks for your info. I went to a shop in Jln Besar today with hubby and sells only Clipsal switches. GUESS WHAT?? The fella quoted me at $900....on the c-metro switches.

When I heard the price, i almost fainted. It is so ex!!!! The sales fella also told me that once the LED blow, I have to get the switches replaced. Anyway, I am going to check out the prices at Choo Siang at their Toh Guan branch. You said you got the default from your ID. What series is that? Also, i realised you went to Asia Excel @ IMM to get your sink and taps. What brand did you purchased? I was told that some china brands are not good. I am considering a brand called "Franke". Have you heard about them?

Hi Lawry,

Thanks for your info. I went to a shop in Jln Besar today with hubby and sells only Clipsal switches. GUESS WHAT?? The fella quoted me at $900....on the c-metro switches.

When I heard the price, i almost fainted. It is so ex!!!! The sales fella also told me that once the LED blow, I have to get the switches replaced. Anyway, I am going to check out the prices at Choo Siang at their Toh Guan branch. You said you got the default from your ID. What series is that? Also, i realised you went to Asia Excel @ IMM to get your sink and taps. What brand did you purchased? I was told that some china brands are not good. I am considering a brand called "Franke". Have you heard about them?

Oh dear, did you go to a generic hardware shop?

Those prices are retail prices I believe, Choo chiang sells them at wholesale prices. You should really check them out.

Yes, the part about the LED is true, but LEDs in general can last for very long, but then there might be even better designs. :D

Another thing you have to take note, are you fixing these switches just the front panel itself or there's a fat box behind?

This nice switches wouldn't look nice with a box behind .... that's how I feel.

My ID had given me these MK switches. they may probably look nice if it's just the front panel, minus the yellowing box behind ...

But it looks generally plain and cheap, it's $1.70 for the one gang at Choo Chiang.

IMG_1660.jpg

Asia Excel!

I like their services. I got taps, instant heaters and bidets from them.

I noticed the franke sink, but it was out of my budget, so I gave it a miss, much to my regret, it was perhaps another $100 more than the one I got.

My sink was from Chuan Heng (at Jalan Besar), it comes with an attached dustbin for convenience, it was a big mistake. Please don't ever get any sink like that ...

The leaking sink

I've sealed up that dustbin 3 times with silicon, doesn't work ..

Eventually I sealed it up completely with aluminum tape.

From a user's point of view, I would also recommend matt surface rather than shiny surface, because it's hard to prevent scratches on a shiny surface, water marks will be very obvious also. But that would be your preference, I'm just sharing my personal opinion. :D

• Like 1

Hi Lawry,

Nice talking to you. I went to Choo Chiang at Toh Guan early this morning. My goodness, their prices are so different from the place I went to at balastier. It is $300 cheaper!!!! However, I am looking for vertical switches which they do not carry. Hence, I have to call again and check (c-metro) if they do carry them tomorrow in their other branches.

Since IMM is so near to Choo Siang, hubby and I decided to take a look at the franke sinks at Asia Excel. Yes, their service seems ok and the guy is friendly too. They have a package for kitchen sink and tap at $400+ which I am seriously considering. But I have to confirm with ID to see if the size is alright because the sink measures 840 X 510 X 210..However, the guy told me that the sink is manufactured by Franke plant in China too.. :( hence not sure if its good...

Also, i realised you used Jimmy Movers. How much did they charge you for shifting?? I am looking for a reliable mover too. What is your feedback on them?

Oh dear, did you go to a generic hardware shop?

Those prices are retail prices I believe, Choo chiang sells them at wholesale prices. You should really check them out.

Yes, the part about the LED is true, but LEDs in general can last for very long, but then there might be even better designs. :D

Another thing you have to take note, are you fixing these switches just the front panel itself or there's a fat box behind?

This nice switches wouldn't look nice with a box behind .... that's how I feel.

My ID had given me these MK switches. they may probably look nice if it's just the front panel, minus the yellowing box behind ...

But it looks generally plain and cheap, it's $1.70 for the one gang at Choo Chiang.

IMG_1660.jpg

Asia Excel!

I like their services. I got taps, instant heaters and bidets from them.

I noticed the franke sink, but it was out of my budget, so I gave it a miss, much to my regret, it was perhaps another $100 more than the one I got.

My sink was from Chuan Heng (at Jalan Besar), it comes with an attached dustbin for convenience, it was a big mistake. Please don't ever get any sink like that ...

The leaking sink

I've sealed up that dustbin 3 times with silicon, doesn't work ..

Eventually I sealed it up completely with aluminum tape.

From a user's point of view, I would also recommend matt surface rather than shiny surface, because it's hard to prevent scratches on a shiny surface, water marks will be very obvious also. But that would be your preference, I'm just sharing my personal opinion. :D

Hi Lawry,

Nice talking to you. I went to Choo Chiang at Toh Guan early this morning. My goodness, their prices are so different from the place I went to at balastier. It is $300 cheaper!!!! However, I am looking for vertical switches which they do not carry. Hence, I have to call again and check (c-metro) if they do carry them tomorrow in their other branches.

Since IMM is so near to Choo Siang, hubby and I decided to take a look at the franke sinks at Asia Excel. Yes, their service seems ok and the guy is friendly too. They have a package for kitchen sink and tap at $400+ which I am seriously considering. But I have to confirm with ID to see if the size is alright because the sink measures 840 X 510 X 210..However, the guy told me that the sink is manufactured by Franke plant in China too.. :( hence not sure if its good...

Also, i realised you used Jimmy Movers. How much did they charge you for shifting?? I am looking for a reliable mover too. What is your feedback on them?

:D

Yes, CC sells them at wholesales/contractor prices, that is a trade secret which most retails shops and ID firms wouldn't want people to know. If the IDs were the ones who purchased them on your behalf, they will buy from CC ($600) and charge you balestier prices ($900), instant $300 profit!

I've left another message for you about the flatpanel/fatbox switches in my blog also. Do remember to ask your ID if they can be installed flat like the picture in red.

Here

As for sink, nowadays a lot of things are manufactured in China. But I believe companies with a reputation would want to maintain that. It doesn't make economical sense for them to sacrifice quality and risk their name for cheaper production cost. The QC should still be up to mark, else it's really suicidal.

Do get the allowable dimensions for the sinks first. Another point for you to consider is also the size of the sink and the size of your cabinet.

Big sink = Smaller tabletop area.

You would really appreciate that extra table top surface area for your temporary items like chopping board, pots, bowls & plates, and for defrosting. But if you have enough space, no issue. Also, look for a tap with a suitable height, at least the kettle must go under effortlessly without any struggle. :D

Jimmy movers charged me $250 for moving and disposal, they provide the carton boxes as well. I think it was quite a good rate.

There was an occurrence that day though, they were quite late because of a previous job, which I can't really fault them on because they were late for a good reason. Some unreasonable customer before us made them run 3 trips instead of 1 because she suddenly included a lot of things. And he charged her the same price. I really pity the workers... 3 trips should be 3X the price, because her things cannot fit into 1 truck load.

He was apologies and all when he came, I think he gave me a better rate because of that also, not sure if he charges for disposal, but I got mine free. Despite that glitch, Jimmy movers is still highly recommended, because he was responsible for the previous customer, he could have dump her after 1 trip, but he didn't and he didn't charge her 3x the amount. That integrity and moral is rare.

I didn't kick up a fuss over that because he was late for a valid reason. Tell him about this case 2 years ago at Clementi, and he should remember who I am. Tell him you are recommended by me, he might give you good rates too. Let him know I'm singing his praises in this forum till this day. :D

Edited by lawry

Guest melancholic

I regret building a platform at my balcony in my previous HDB. Took away the balcony doors and 'extended' the living room into the former balcony area with the platform.

At that time, thought it would be a good cozy corner.. even though of buying tatami mats and a small side table to laze back and drink tea. Thinking back, I'm really tickled pink by our naivety. Waste of space and ended up with lots of scratches on the platform cos of our little Maltese then.

Later when we had children, we had a nice red bean bag on the platform. Thought it would add the right dash of colour (matched our overall theme) and double up as a place cozy place for our children to play and rest. It ended up as a dust magnet and we prevented our children from lying on it too often, which defeats the purpose! Gave the bean bag away in the end.

Also, due to our zen concept then, we had very clean and sharp handles for our kitchen cabinets and study room cabinets. And I really mean sharp! Wife, and subsequently our children, injured their heads a few times. Luckily head not punctured!

So there.. these are the things I regretted using/installing. For my upcoming resale home, it's gonna be practicality and safety first before design!

Hi Lawry,

Thanks for all your info. Mind to PM me the contact for Jimmy Movers if you still have? My ID is going to paint the switch boxes the same colour of my walls. Hence, I think it should look ok. Now I have another diliema...the OVEN!!! WOnder if I should get or not since I might not be using it often as my job is rather hectic....hiaz...

Yes, CC sells them at wholesales/contractor prices, that is a trade secret which most retails shops and ID firms wouldn't want people to know. If the IDs were the ones who purchased them on your behalf, they will buy from CC ($600) and charge you balestier prices ($900), instant $300 profit!

I've left another message for you about the flatpanel/fatbox switches in my blog also. Do remember to ask your ID if they can be installed flat like the picture in red.

Here

As for sink, nowadays a lot of things are manufactured in China. But I believe companies with a reputation would want to maintain that. It doesn't make economical sense for them to sacrifice quality and risk their name for cheaper production cost. The QC should still be up to mark, else it's really suicidal.

Do get the allowable dimensions for the sinks first. Another point for you to consider is also the size of the sink and the size of your cabinet.

You would really appreciate that extra table top surface area for your temporary items like chopping board, pots, bowls & plates, and for defrosting. But if you have enough space, no issue. Also, look for a tap with a suitable height, at least the kettle must go under effortlessly without any struggle. :D

Jimmy movers charged me $250 for moving and disposal, they provide the carton boxes as well. I think it was quite a good rate.

There was an occurrence that day though, they were quite late because of a previous job, which I can't really fault them on because they were late for a good reason. Some unreasonable customer before us made them run 3 trips instead of 1 because she suddenly included a lot of things. And he charged her the same price. I really pity the workers... 3 trips should be 3X the price, because her things cannot fit into 1 truck load.

He was apologies and all when he came, I think he gave me a better rate because of that also, not sure if he charges for disposal, but I got mine free. Despite that glitch, Jimmy movers is still highly recommended, because he was responsible for the previous customer, he could have dump her after 1 trip, but he didn't and he didn't charge her 3x the amount. That integrity and moral is rare.

I didn't kick up a fuss over that because he was late for a valid reason. Tell him about this case 2 years ago at Clementi, and he should remember who I am. Tell him you are recommended by me, he might give you good rates too. Let him know I'm singing his praises in this forum till this day. :D

Hi Lawry,

Hi lawry,

pardon my ignorance, how come switches so ex $600!!?? Are these designer switches, flat panel silver switches. Cant imagine if i want to pay so much for the look..sigh...bigger pocket going to b burnt..

Anyone know if i can buy those slimmer silver switches at more affordable prices? Will it be cheaper to ask contractor to source? or better if i get it myself?

Btw those clipsal switches all seem to come in 1 gang only, do they have like 2 or 3 gangs in 1 switch?

Thanks a million

hi enivi

Metro C switches by Clipsal is very different from the rest, they look much nicer with that led light at the corner. The price of it is quite steep compared to other normal switches also. But there are people who buys that idea, the look and willing to pay the price. :D

Don't ask your contractor, sure inflate prices, they don't do things for free.

Drop by any of those Choo Chiang branches or even give them a call to get an idea of how much it costs.

Yes, all the Clipsal switches comes in 1,2,3 gang. :D

Hi Enivi,

I bought all my clipsal c-metro switches - grey with blue LED from Choo Siang. They are the cheapest so far. Yes, they have up to 4 gang. But i only bought 1, 2 and 3 gang switches cos i prefer bigger flaps. I went to their branch at Verasamy road.

Hi lawry,

pardon my ignorance, how come switches so ex $600!!?? Are these designer switches, flat panel silver switches. Cant imagine if i want to pay so much for the look..sigh...bigger pocket going to b burnt..

Anyone know if i can buy those slimmer silver switches at more affordable prices? Will it be cheaper to ask contractor to source? or better if i get it myself?

Btw those clipsal switches all seem to come in 1 gang only, do they have like 2 or 3 gangs in 1 switch?

Thanks a million

365+ also??

I assume that the cheap set, 3 pieces of cookware for $14.90 is of inferior quality. But 365+ is the more expensive range, I didn't expect them to peel or rust also. That's very bad, there is no excuse for stainless steel to rust, especially when it comes to cookware. I have some unknown brand stainless steel cookware at home, never had issues with rusting also.

i think ikea's 365+ is their model for that cookware, not the price. i happen to see it in their catalogue that was sent to us.

Here

lawry is quite rite abt the sink. larger sink = lesser table top. that was our major constraint as my kitchen is in a pretty odd shape and small in size.

our situation:

kitchen is in a pretty odd shape and small in size

the corner place where the tap outlet for basin has a pipe which we want to box it up but which means it will eat into our sink area, therefore sink has to be small. most of the sinks in the mkt are of standard size, we need to hv a smaller size sink than what is selling by retailers now.

what we need (according to our experience in our previous hse):

1) i demanded to hb that i WANT a sink that has a washing bowl, a small 1/2 bowl to put sponge (if due to small sink size, den no choice i willing to forgo this), and an insert area to allow me to defrost and place cutting board on it to cut my fish/meat and at the same time allowing the water to flow to sink. i don't want to cut on table top as the water from the fish/meat smell will linger on the table top for some time. cutting/defrosting fish/meat on table top = leaves fishy/meaty smell on table top = hard to get rid of

2) as large a table top as possible

3) more cabinet space

solution:

1) search high & low through almost whole of SG in search of a sink :help:8|:bow: of the rite size... finally found the 1 and only last 1 in ikea that fits my need and also till now im vy satistfied with it. no rust, no problm, no stain

2) looks like this juz that the small 1/2 bowl is in between the washing bowl and the insert.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89847463

ikea's sink fit our needs so we boughgt it

3) top kitchen cabinet depth is increased

4) tap

we use the type that can be pull out and spray on after much considearation of abt to was the sink and deep / tall kettle, pots etc.

we know that the old type that has a rubber hose (something like that) which allow to be able to pulled out, used to leak or water tend to flow back along the hose and into the sink, or flows along the hose and into the hose outlet area thus water seaping into the underside of teh sink as my aunt has 1 which has this problm

and our previous type is the u-like which can't be pulled out and we find that we hv difficulty washing the insde of the tall pots.

so we decided to spend abit more for this tap to buy a gd quality pull out spray type of tap which is used in restaurant. but we buy the smaller range as the bigger range will take up space as well.

so far so gd and it serves our needs.

as for mover, we engage Jimmy also. I wonder if Lawry's Jimmy Mover's boss name is Jimmy Chan?

if its the same Jimmy we r talking abt, he'd gd. thumbs up for me as well. Jimmy comes and view our flat and our items and told us that he needed 3 trip for his lorry. he quoted us and say that if he needs to spend only 2 trip, he will only charge us for 2 trips' price. we told him don't overload lorry by trying to squeeze many things and he assured us he will not do so, he even wanted to show us his lorry which we don't think necessary as we r in constrn field, we able to gauge his lorry type to our moving needs. he also told us that he need half day to help me move hse n place the items to the designated areas at the new hse.

he even ask if we hv things like piano as he told us that they don't move piano and that we must engage specialist to move paino if we hv 1.

we agreed to engage his service as we think its fair and that his price is cheaper and more reasonable than others.

he provided cartons for us. when he move our items over to the new hse, he was careful by putting protection on the floor to prevent damage to our floor and hse. he worked alongside with his workers and sweating plenty. i would say he and his team are really dedicated lot. both hb n me r vy pleased with his service.

Hi Leen,

Good to hear your thumbs up on Jimmy. I will be calling him to check out :0 We need to check out some kitchen sink fast too..

Now I have some considerations on my reno. Initially, hubby and I told ID that we intend to have a built in oven. Hiaz...now coming to think of it.. my kitchen is rather small because we seperated the kitchen to (wet and dry). If we install the oven, of course it would look nice...it might take up more space. :( and again how often will we be using...sian... now considering to buy or not to buy...sigh

i think ikea's 365+ is their model for that cookware, not the price. i happen to see it in their catalogue that was sent to us.

lawry is quite rite abt the sink. larger sink = lesser table top. that was our major constraint as my kitchen is in a pretty odd shape and small in size.

our situation:

kitchen is in a pretty odd shape and small in size

the corner place where the tap outlet for basin has a pipe which we want to box it up but which means it will eat into our sink area, therefore sink has to be small. most of the sinks in the mkt are of standard size, we need to hv a smaller size sink than what is selling by retailers now.

what we need (according to our experience in our previous hse):

1) i demanded to hb that i WANT a sink that has a washing bowl, a small 1/2 bowl to put sponge (if due to small sink size, den no choice i willing to forgo this), and an insert area to allow me to defrost and place cutting board on it to cut my fish/meat and at the same time allowing the water to flow to sink. i don't want to cut on table top as the water from the fish/meat smell will linger on the table top for some time. cutting/defrosting fish/meat on table top = leaves fishy/meaty smell on table top = hard to get rid of

2) as large a table top as possible

3) more cabinet space

solution:

1) search high & low through almost whole of SG in search of a sink :help:8|:bow: of the rite size... finally found the 1 and only last 1 in ikea that fits my need and also till now im vy satistfied with it. no rust, no problm, no stain

2) looks like this juz that the small 1/2 bowl is in between the washing bowl and the insert.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89847463

ikea's sink fit our needs so we boughgt it

3) top kitchen cabinet depth is increased

4) tap

we use the type that can be pull out and spray on after much considearation of abt to was the sink and deep / tall kettle, pots etc.

we know that the old type that has a rubber hose (something like that) which allow to be able to pulled out, used to leak or water tend to flow back along the hose and into the sink, or flows along the hose and into the hose outlet area thus water seaping into the underside of teh sink as my aunt has 1 which has this problm

and our previous type is the u-like which can't be pulled out and we find that we hv difficulty washing the insde of the tall pots.

so we decided to spend abit more for this tap to buy a gd quality pull out spray type of tap which is used in restaurant. but we buy the smaller range as the bigger range will take up space as well.

so far so gd and it serves our needs.

as for mover, we engage Jimmy also. I wonder if Lawry's Jimmy Mover's boss name is Jimmy Chan?

if its the same Jimmy we r talking abt, he'd gd. thumbs up for me as well. Jimmy comes and view our flat and our items and told us that he needed 3 trip for his lorry. he quoted us and say that if he needs to spend only 2 trip, he will only charge us for 2 trips' price. we told him don't overload lorry by trying to squeeze many things and he assured us he will not do so, he even wanted to show us his lorry which we don't think necessary as we r in constrn field, we able to gauge his lorry type to our moving needs. he also told us that he need half day to help me move hse n place the items to the designated areas at the new hse.

he even ask if we hv things like piano as he told us that they don't move piano and that we must engage specialist to move paino if we hv 1.

we agreed to engage his service as we think its fair and that his price is cheaper and more reasonable than others.

he provided cartons for us. when he move our items over to the new hse, he was careful by putting protection on the floor to prevent damage to our floor and hse. he worked alongside with his workers and sweating plenty. i would say he and his team are really dedicated lot. both hb n me r vy pleased with his service.