Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
st002

Materials That U Regret Using/ Installing

anyone using the "default" toilet bowl from hdb? how's the flushing power? im thinking of keeping it... dun wanna waste money to buy new one if the color and shape is not too ugly...

any comments?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Greenspeace,

I am using the original toilet bowls for both master and common toilet. HDB upgraded mine 5 years ago and the previous owner kept it well. The flushing system is ok for both. Hence, hubby and I didnt reno on the 2 toilets. Everything was original. But its up to individual preference. Some say that its unhygenic to use old ones. But we will wash it before using when we shift in.

anyone using the "default" toilet bowl from hdb? how's the flushing power? im thinking of keeping it... dun wanna waste money to buy new one if the color and shape is not too ugly...

any comments?

cheap house brand sinks from Sim Siang Choon. within 1 month, a part of the basin pop-up waste broke resulting in water leakage, flooding my vanity cabinet below. before it broke, there was a perpetual stench (smell of those clogged pipes) since day 1. only discovered the problem when the plumber came in today to fix up the leakage.

the house brand Sim Siang Choon toilet bowls also very low quality - smelly, can't flush properly. used harpic everyday but smell remains.

same goes for their kitchen sinks.

please please pay more, and get premium brands like Franke, American Standard, Toto etc. never ever stinge on these heavy duty items. plenty of probs later.

leen

365+ is IKEA's -high range- cookware.

I would expect better quality for that price tag.

If that rusts too, really nothing to say.

I'm not sure what's Jimmy's surname, should be the same guy you are referring too. Thumbs up for their service despite that little glitch.

his.beloved.child

Have you called Jimmy? If last min, will be a bit difficult to make an appointment with him, because it's only him and his team of guys working. Even he himself is doing the moving together with his workers.

You might like to check the weiken thread about built in ovens, under my link call tblog relocated. I don't have a built in oven, but several guys there seem to have some electrical trip issues with their oven, you might want to discuss that concern with your ID and the vendor if it might be a potential issue.

greenpeace_sg

Those from HDB are quite basic, decent and usable. I don't have one, but those in my old house were from them. Good enough flush.

It's quite a waste to tear them down and replace with new ones when they work fine, unless they look really off from your theme. Just my personal feel. :D

Hi honeygal, you might want to try this method. When you next flush your toilet bowl, press & hold on to the button, till the flush process completes & water in the tank starts to refill... I find this method helps.

Hi Greenspeace,

I am using the original toilet bowls for both master and common toilet. HDB upgraded mine 5 years ago and the previous owner kept it well. The flushing system is ok for both. Hence, hubby and I didnt reno on the 2 toilets. Everything was original. But its up to individual preference. Some say that its unhygenic to use old ones. But we will wash it before using when we shift in.

we hv been using HDB provided toilet bowls, sinks and vanity top. no problm so far. no breakdown, no flushing problm, nothing broken. like i say, HDB will provide some hardy toiletries for us but at an acceptable aesthetic level so don't expect to hv fanciful types. but it will last. and they hv to make sure their plumber's work pass certain test b4 certifying ok. they vy kiasu & kiasi of ppl's complaints so they r strict on contractors so usually the standard of work and material is maintain at a certain level.

there r many plumbers outside making a living with their so-called experience but to hv a proper plumber cert with sufficient practical experience, there r not many. sometimes it could be due to improper pipe installation methods.

as for hygene, can ask contractor to do a chemical cleaning on the toilet bowls for you b4 shifting in.

leen

365+ is IKEA's -high range- cookware.

I would expect better quality for that price tag.

If that rusts too, really nothing to say.

I'm not sure what's Jimmy's surname, should be the same guy you are referring too. Thumbs up for their service despite that little glitch.

his.beloved.child

Have you called Jimmy? If last min, will be a bit difficult to make an appointment with him, because it's only him and his team of guys working. Even he himself is doing the moving together with his workers.

You might like to check the weiken thread about built in ovens, under my link call tblog relocated. I don't have a built in oven, but several guys there seem to have some electrical trip issues with their oven, you might want to discuss that concern with your ID and the vendor if it might be a potential issue.

greenpeace_sg

Those from HDB are quite basic, decent and usable. I don't have one, but those in my old house were from them. Good enough flush.

It's quite a waste to tear them down and replace with new ones when they work fine, unless they look really off from your theme. Just my personal feel. :D

365+ is IKEA's -high range- cookware meh? the price is not ex leh...

365+ is the cookware's model / design name only from wat i saw from the catalogue and when i was at ikea. the 1 i saw was the frying pan i think..

I wouldn't expect gd quality for that price tag.

leen

My mistake.

For the stainless steel range.

365+ is not the high range, but the mid range. < $50 (rusts according to the user above?)

FAVORIT is the high range. > $50

ANNONs is the low range. < $5 (rust at the handle + tarnish, my personal encounter)

Low/Mid/High range is not a reason for them to rust, esp when it's meant for food preparation.

I can get WMF low range. < $40, they're still of sound quality, it's been been a few months, still nice and shiny.

Or even this Zebra head brand from Thailand, < $30 no rusting issues either.

Hi Lawry,

I called Jimmy but he didnt get back to me. Hence, I am using a yellow ribbon project http://www.thehelpinghand.org.sg/contact.php

we hv been using HDB provided toilet bowls, sinks and vanity top. no problm so far. no breakdown, no flushing problm, nothing broken. like i say, HDB will provide some hardy toiletries for us but at an acceptable aesthetic level so don't expect to hv fanciful types. but it will last. and they hv to make sure their plumber's work pass certain test b4 certifying ok. they vy kiasu & kiasi of ppl's complaints so they r strict on contractors so usually the standard of work and material is maintain at a certain level.

there r many plumbers outside making a living with their so-called experience but to hv a proper plumber cert with sufficient practical experience, there r not many. sometimes it could be due to improper pipe installation methods.

as for hygene, can ask contractor to do a chemical cleaning on the toilet bowls for you b4 shifting in.

365+ is IKEA's -high range- cookware meh? the price is not ex leh...

365+ is the cookware's model / design name only from wat i saw from the catalogue and when i was at ikea. the 1 i saw was the frying pan i think..

I wouldn't expect gd quality for that price tag.

hi all, on the note of using HDB provided toilet bowls, I notice it doesn't have half or full flush. Hence, it's always wasitng 6 litres of water jus for liquid waste!

Will HDB change it for us or you guys actually installed ur own flush system? (talking abt saving water when the flush system is not :bangwall: )

You can put a 1.5litre bottle filled with water into the cistern, it will take up 1.5litre of water space.

If not, you control your own half flush, full flush. Press a bit of the button if it's just liquid waste, press full if solid waste. :P

hihi. Does "The Helping Hands" movers provide cardboard boxes? Heard good comments about them in this forum too

hihi. Does "The Helping Hands" movers provide cardboard boxes? Heard good comments about them in this forum too

i think so. For both times, we didnt request boxes from them as we either bought our own from Shalom movers or became garang guni in the estate and started packing way before we contacted Helping Hand. We walked around the estate and look for discarded boxes (lucky to have rich neighbours in the estate buying new electrical stuff). We also asked from provision shops and they gave us boxes.

Hi Born Again,

I found the helping hand by chance. We have never used them before. Are they good? I tried to engaged Shalom, cos heard they were good but they are very ex hence I engaged helping hand. :)

how u find helping hand? My family engaged them twice and we're very satisfied with their services.

You can put a 1.5litre bottle filled with water into the cistern, it will take up 1.5litre of water space.

If not, you control your own half flush, full flush. Press a bit of the button if it's just liquid waste, press full if solid waste. :P

well i heard of tis method but scared it will choke or clot the cistern. Cos the bottle is bulky item.

cannot control the flushing system at all, jus a gentle (really very very very gentle press) the button like very loose, go all the way down to plush all full 6 litres of water even for liquid waste.

Heart pain. :(