Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
st002

Materials That U Regret Using/ Installing

I would ditch glass shower screen with sliding doors for my next house. Bottom part get rusty, doors get jammed easily and they are difficult to maintain.

Edited by forgotten

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
For the kitchen, let the user, ie whoever uses the kitchen most (probably the lady of the house) decide what to have here, or there.. .etc.

They are the ones who will be doing the cooking, etc... so , they should go thru a motion study of the whole place... what should be on the left, on the right... where should be sink me... free area on the left or right... single/double bowl, etc.... it depends on personal preference.

One good reference is IKEA's kitchen layout guide (or many on the internet).... BLUM is another source. You cannot run away from the sequence... take things from the fridege, put on table, chop/etc... wash... cook.... All this depends on the layout of your kitchen... straight, U-shaped, L-shared, island.

I have seen so many Singaporean design their kitchen for SHOW ONLY.... branded... for show off and can only cook maggi mee. One must be realistic... reference to those nice magazines is good, but most of the time, not suitable for pigeon holes. I have a friend who is proud of his SGD1,500 tap in his kitchen but rarely use it..... got to clean like ****.... so far ok for them as no kids yet (probably no intention to have - spoil their lifestyle).... always eat out. Everything in their nest has a brand and designer story to tell....

I find many designers do not cook in the kitchen and are unable to design a functional one too. So that's why the kitchen become for SHOW ONLY.

New regret..

TOWER FANS

Resist getting tower fans no matter how stylish they look compared to conventional, tested and proven KDK Fans! (Specifically this brand, they last me for years. I can't vouch for other brands).

My 2 miserable tower fans (costs $150+ each) were producing a recurrent noise in the motor whenever I on them, not to mention the pathetic wind. I finally wheeled them out today and bought 2 conventional KDK fans ($100+) as replacements..

Must look at country of manufacture, rather than the brand name.

Especially these so called in house brands, a lot of them outsource to look for OEM models (is that the right term) in China, then stick on their label and make it look like a million dollar item.

Toilet Bowls

It's not difficult for any of these big companies to find such China deals, order from the supplier direct. Might be worth $40 there, but sell $300 here.

Depending on price and item, sometimes I would never settle for a MIC.

Like a MIC camera $399 vs a MIJapan camera $499. I rather take Japan anytime, even at lower specs.

Very hard la not to get non-MIC stuff. especially for those tap, tiles, WC. No gurantee too for country of origin, from what i understand. Make in China but QC is Germany company, item will be passed as Made in Germany -perhaps only the gasket is made in Germany. Nowaday almost everything have china footprint, may it be a small little chip to the whole machine.

cheap toilet bowls (no power when flushing) and sinks from sim siang choon. all stink and stain. regret stinging on these.

my advice to all: pay more and get better quality toilet bowls and sinks, it is short-sighted to go for cheap like me. these are heavy duty items worth paying a bit more.

totally agreed, this is one thing too late to regret.

New regret..

TOWER FANS

Resist getting tower fans no matter how stylish they look compared to conventional, tested and proven KDK Fans! (Specifically this brand, they last me for years. I can't vouch for other brands).

My 2 miserable tower fans (costs $150+ each) were producing a recurrent noise in the motor whenever I on them, not to mention the pathetic wind. I finally wheeled them out today and bought 2 conventional KDK fans ($100+) as replacements..

If space is a limiting factor, then bo pien, tower fan is kinda fits the bill, space saving. Agree that it's noisy, but one can mitigate it by not swiveling it - fixed it at one flow position (crap isn't it)

Yes, stand fans are the best... but try not to get those with 3-way of swings, just left and right suffice

If space is a limiting factor, then bo pien, tower fan is kinda fits the bill, space saving. Agree that it's noisy, but one can mitigate it by not swiveling it - fixed it at one flow position (crap isn't it)

Yes, stand fans are the best... but try not to get those with 3-way of swings, just left and right suffice

Ceiling fan is best. Will not take up table or floor space.

I engaged an electrician to build electrical points for me. Charged me $280 (I didn't nego with him) for two power point (one in front of the wall and one behind the wall) and a switch outside the toilet for the fan. Promised to give me MK brand.

In the end, gave me some dunno from where brand that is hard to plug in and unplug. Each time I unplug from the powerpoint, I have to hold the powerpoint or else the powerpoint seem like it will also unplug from the wall. The swich also produce a clark sound when I switch on and it is near impossible to plug in a 2 pin plug with the help of a screw driver (test pen). Very poor quality powerpoints. The switch at the toilet wasn't installed but combined with my water heater. Whenever, I switched on the water heater, the switch to the fan is also switched on.

When he came to do the installation, most of the tools were provided by me because he didn't bring his along. At the end of the day, he still dare to comment that I am very well equipped like machiam electrician.

This guy was highly recommended by a friend's friend. I didn't want to argue with him and just took his nonsense since he was recommended by a friend. Will blacklist him and not call him back for service in future. :bangwall:

1st ALERT about BEST TECH AIR CON. (BTW their website is virus infested at this moment i am typing)

i bought my air con from BEST TECH and was glad to be given various vouchers including $160 service voucher (seems to be more worth it when compare to Gaincity). i thought i can save some money for servicing at least for 1 to 2 years. When it's time for servicing, i called up their hot line, they told me their standard charge is $50 per fan coil. and since i have 4 fan coil, cost $200(no discount for more than 1 fan coil and for being a best tech costumer) and i can only use $10 voucher per fan coil which means i have to pay $40 per fan coil or $160 cash for 4 fan coils.

I threw away their voucher and called my old aircon guy and he charged me $100 for 4 coils. So don't be fool by such scheming business people with their vouchers. Read the small print. btw the usage mentioned above are stated in the small print behind the voucher, so i am now alerting others to this fact when comparing price between air con sellers. I dont know if other big sellers also use such 'voucher tactics' or not, so beware.

2nd ALERT about Novita vintage fan

this fan looks very pretty and vintage but very troublesome to dismantle and clean and also VERY VERY NOISY. I have to turn the volume of the TV much higher to hear beyond the fan noise.

However looks very good la.. :)

3rd ALERT about Marble table.

Marble is beautiful but unless u have a helper who can ensure that every drop of spill on the marble is immediately removed, there is going to be a stain very easily. Once there is a stain... it will be something that remind you of your regret and carelessness for years to come until you get rid of the table. Marble table is just not practical with all the food and wine and sauces.

ok will add more when have time.

BB

Edited by bluestone

3rd ALERT about Marble table.

Marble is beautiful but unless u have a helper who can ensure that every drop of spill on the marble is immediately removed, there is going to be a stain very easily. Once there is a stain... it will be something that remind you of your regret and carelessness for years to come until you get rid of the table. Marble table is just not practical with all the food and wine and sauces.

ok will add more when have time.

BB

we had a glass top cut for our marble table which we've had for about 2 decades - has helped keep the marble in v good condition.

"...........

no fridge base as we don't think we are going to wash the kitchen floors like the market where water is splashed everywhere. this also help to give us more options if we need to change our fridge as we are not restricted to certain size of fridge only.

no washing machine base as well. same reason as above.

no special customise built display cabinets.

........."

A helpful thread indeed.

Hey guys, I'm wondering if your kitchen has the 50mm base for cabinet, fridge or washer? :dunno:

Can share with me why you choose to have it or not to. Any major practical pointers or does it makes no difference.

:D

A helpful thread indeed.

Hey guys, I'm wondering if your kitchen has the 50mm base for cabinet, fridge or washer? :dunno:

Can share with me why you choose to have it or not to. Any major practical pointers or does it makes no difference.

:D

I've the base for my kitchen cabinets only.

Dun think u need it for fridge & washer unless u heavy-wash the kitchen floor.

I've the base for my kitchen cabinets only.

Dun think u need it for fridge & washer unless u heavy-wash the kitchen floor.

Yup I agree with u of not having it for fridge and washer.

But I'm also m thinking of not having it for cabinets too to standardize for all. Cos' no need to really hard-wash the floor like u mentioned and just do many times of mopping.

Good idea or a bad one?