Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
st002

Materials That U Regret Using/ Installing

Wah, I see a lot of people saying IKEA stuff rust.

Has anyone got any IKEA stuff that DID NOT rust? Maybe we should compile a list of the more rust-proof ones, for the benefit of the forum.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

The Ikea SS stuff that I have purchased are OK. More than 10 years already still going strong. So maybe the newer products are using inferior material?

actually the more i think about it the more i dun wan hood liao. can u imagine the accumulated dirt trapped and u r cooking directly underneath it? yaks!

Hood must maintain, there's this charcoal filter within that must be replaced, and occasionally must take out the metal plates and wash them in soapy water.

Wah, I see a lot of people saying IKEA stuff rust.

Has anyone got any IKEA stuff that DID NOT rust? Maybe we should compile a list of the more rust-proof ones, for the benefit of the forum.

IKEA's stainless steel is puzzling.. I've a set of cutlery from IKEA.

It comes in 24 pieces, 10 of them are in use, they are in contact with water and left in the frequent used cutlery stand. Whereas the other 14 pieces are kept dry in storage, in one of the kitchen drawers...

Lately, I accidentally threw away one spoon in a takeaway box, so I had to fish out a new spoon from those in the drawers. Guess what, it's rusty, all of them are rusty?? :unsure: They are supposed to be new, unused, kept dry in a drawer, what's with the rust??

It comes in 24 pieces, 10 of them are in use, they are in contact with water and left in the frequent used cutlery stand. Whereas the other 14 pieces are kept dry in storage, in one of the kitchen drawers...

Lately, I accidentally threw away one spoon in a takeaway box, so I had to fish out a new spoon from those in the drawers. Guess what, it's rusty, all of them are rusty?? :unsure: They are supposed to be new, unused, kept dry in a drawer, what's with the rust??

In your case,its not totally stainless steel.what you having should b stainless steel coated nia.

there's a difference in term of product & price tag too.

First time heard of stainless steel coating. Normally is chrome plated. Any more information on this stainless steel coating just to have some free education on coating?

Have not heard of SS coating as well...

SS is an alloy that comes in different grades, depending the amount of nickel and chromium mixed with steel.

Those SS item that rusts probably has a lower quantity of nickel/chromium in the mix.

BOUGHT 2 of the so called SS utensil holder(frm ikea) also start to rust.

One of it is still brand new,unused.well kept.

But when wanted to take out to replace the rusted one,found the new one also starting to have some rust residue from inside the holder.

luckily its cheap..if not :bangwall:

although design is nice n cheap, but really cant make it.

(environment elements also contribute to the speed up for the chemical reaction)

And the ones that were in use were rust-free?

Do you mind sharing what series are your cutlery?

@Venom, it's ridiculous those new ones in storage and not in use are already rusting, if those on their shelves also rust, that would be quite a show.

@godchuanz, it's DRAGON range, should be $45.

I liked the weight of it, and considering the price, I assumed it should be decent.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90091760/

Edited by lawry

@ lawry,yup,i also dont understand why.. :dunno:

mayb its because items was stored in air-con places(like ikea)that "slows down" the rusting process?

& when we bring the item home from ikea & store in room temp,the rusting process increases? :dunno:

lol,thats the only reason i can tink of 8|

Open concept walk in wardrobe, this can be a nightmare for maintenance. I didn't do this, but some of my friends did, it was right outside their toilet, moisture attack, dust attack. I had my close door walk in wardrobe outside my toilet also. Some of my things turn mouldy. One tub of hungry hippo once a week is not economical.

Yup i agreed with that. Walk in wardrobe besides the toilet is not an wise move. Should opt for typical sliding wardrobe.

Yup i agreed with that. Walk in wardrobe besides the toilet is not an wise move. Should opt for typical sliding wardrobe.

my WIW just outside my toilet, so far nothing happens to it.

my WIW just outside my toilet, so far nothing happens to it.

I think the way of maintenance is important. Should always open the windows in both the toilet and bedroom for air circulation.

I had WIW at my previous home for the past 12 years, also outside the toilet, nothing happened. Dust is unavoidable but no issue on moist. Just need to do cleaning every 2 months. Even the new owner of my old house kept the WIW due to the good condition.

I have WIW again in my newly moved in EA :rolleyes:

actually the more i think about it the more i dun wan hood liao. can u imagine the accumulated dirt trapped and u r cooking directly underneath it? yaks!

non-sliding doors - practical - i LIKE! If design ok, ONZ!

living room ceiling fan - ONZ!

I am just wondering, if there's no hood, will the cooking heat damage the cabinet wood on top?