Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
st002

Materials That U Regret Using/ Installing

yeah smell is definitely not the issue. it's more oil splattering everywhere, even though we dont even deep dry. Our family is rather particular that we do not like to walk on floors that have oil splatter as we then track it to other parts of the house. Even covering with newspaper and using a hood doesn't help with this issue as one cannot control how far the oil can splatter even with simple stir fry. wacko.gif so now we are opting for a closed kitchen since it is well ventilated and the rest of the flat is big enough to accommodate without needing it to be open concept smile.gif

I am even particular. I do not allow anyone into the kitchen when I am cooking!! Anyways I am the only one who can cook and cooks in my family of four. My two boys when they were kids would stay outside the kitchen area playing or reading/studying. Never entered the kitchen while I am there cooking or they would have it from me! No door or safety gates on the entrance into the kitchen. No one else there for me to watch over the kids while I was cooking so I would just put them in the playpen when they were babies/toddlers and push the playpen very near the entrance of the kitchen. I would talk to them and sometimes sing to them. They would watch me cook, clean in the kitchen and fall asleep knowing their mother was watching them all the time. I always mop up the whole kitchen after each time I cook to clean up oil/water spillages. Have been doing this for the past 24 years. Now my grown up sons still do not enter the kitchen when I am cooking! They still dutifully stand outside chatting with me.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi,

Do not engage Savana Homz Styling (Keith 84390761) or AVL Solutionz (Justin 85754388). Engaged them to repair a light, a switch anc a cabinet. Brought the wrong part for the cabinet hinge and promised to come the next day to complete the job. Made the mistake of paying them first and these people shunned my msgs and calls the next day. Very irresponsible.

hi guys,

my swing wardrobe door hinges are about to break off fromt the door.

any recommendation for carpenter ?

This is such a cool post with lots of informations and experiences. Thanks to all your contributions and sorry to hear about your complaints and sufferings. Just received the floor layout from my agent yesterday. And I'm a 3rms model A owner soon. 1st appointment on the 9th July, hopefully the ownner will agree on 6weeks to the 2nd appointment as owner requested for one month extension after the 2nd appointment.

And HIP is commencing soon on my blk, I will only do the reno after the HIP.

Should I or should I not to change the toilet bowl and basin, I found the basin provided by government is abit small.

What are the things I should take note during the HIP?

Thanks.

Edited by vuzu

Avoid wooden stuff in tiolets. :no: Only ceramic/ss/plastic/glass. :good:

No mercury (back) mirror. :no:

Use SS412 screws,if possible in tiolets. :good:

Don't overlay tiles. :no:

Granite flooring :good:

Put glass on all tables :good:

No fabric sofa, all leather please :good:

Avoid laminate, if possible :no:

No transparent silicon on glass in tiolet :no: Use black :good:

• Like 1

Oh... And Don't buy stainless steel kitchenware like WMF unless you are prepared to scrub. I used WMF for one yr, then gave it all away and went back to tefal coated or ceramic pots and pans.

Like Leen said, in an earlier post, no false ceiling, no down lights, no WM and fridge base for all the same reasons .

Dear curryqueen,

I heard many people pro WMF and against tefal, but you did otherwise. Could you give your side of the story?

I am renovating now and going to buy cookery in a month time.

Thanks.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/64499-hdb-home-improvement-program-hip-toilet-works-reuse-wc/

FYI

This is such a cool post with lots of informations and experiences. Thanks to all your contributions and sorry to hear about your complaints and sufferings. Just received the floor layout from my agent yesterday. And I'm a 3rms model A owner soon. 1st appointment on the 9th July, hopefully the ownner will agree on 6weeks to the 2nd appointment as owner requested for one month extension after the 2nd appointment.

And HIP is commencing soon on my blk, I will only do the reno after the HIP.

Should I or should I not to change the toilet bowl and basin, I found the basin provided by government is abit small.

What are the things I should take note during the HIP?

Thanks.

Avoid wooden stuff in tiolets. :no: Only ceramic/ss/plastic/glass. :good:

No mercury (back) mirror. :no:

Use SS412 screws,if possible in tiolets. :good:

Don't overlay tiles. :no:

Granite flooring :good:

Put glass on all tables :good:

No fabric sofa, all leather please :good:

Avoid laminate, if possible :no:

No transparent silicon on glass in tiolet :no: Use black :good:

what are the reasons for not overlay tiles? Anybody, please share. :)

Hi, does anyone have actual experience with

1) IKEA or other brands butcherblock/wood kitchen countertop [butcherblock looks so pretty!]

2) Aged brass/copper countertop (i dont mind having the stained/aged effect)

3) Porcelain type kitchen sink compared to stainless steel?

Hi Ben,

Sorry, just saw your post which was almost a year ago!. WMF is good for even heat distribution, etc etc , but it is a KILLER to clean. even after soaking very hard to clean. So unless you are prepared to spend quite a bit of time to maintain them or have a helper to "suffer" on your behalf, go for non-stick pans. Doesn't have to be TEFAL. Just any non-stick pans.

Hi all new here as i am preparing for my new flat which i should get my keys around the end of the year. Just to say this thread is really useful and thought i should add on base on my experience.

1. Toilet bowl:

. cemented or just silicon - makes a difference. cemented if choke need to take out and clear would cost you more. but sometimes no choice as the floor uneven without using cement your toiletbowl ends up shakey

. if 2 piece set try to use the plastic screw...the older models uses metal which rust. end up you want to change the cistern etc would be harder.

2. Aircon and false ceiling

. ever heard of a aircon that cannot be serviced because the design of the false ceiling block the access to the aircon end up got to cut up false ceiling just to do a simple servicing

3. taps, toilet bowl etc: avoid regal (not sure if brand spelling correct not) heard from those whom use to be doing such work told me that regal parts are very different from those used by other brand. end up you got to buy from regal only and their pricing is higher than normal. Some more one guy told me he hate dealing with them cause they very stuck up. disclaimer: not trying to say regal is lousy just base on my conversation with people in the industry.

4. piping should always run below trunking, joints should not be above power point.

5. if doing water pipe work behind false ceiling, do the patching the next day after the work is done instead of on the spot. rational: night time no one using water, thus pressure builds up. From there you can see if the joints are tight enough. else u patch liao leak u open again hum bin...

6. for carpentry work etc always take into account if it is possible to access potential repairs needed in the future. eg: rollers of sliding door. thats why good to avoid those build finish in factory and go for those set up on the ground. (got way to put in means got way to take out.)

mms i try to think of more if can..... my family a lot used to work in construction or as contractor but mostly retire liao....so usually cny than hear their stories :thumbs up:

hi all, for those previous owners who mentioned they do not do false ceiling due to dust, insects etc living on top of them.

How do u install ur lightings then? without a false ceiling...? how do u conceal all ur electrical wiring, aircon piping? all exposed like industrial look u mean?

I had bad experience with:

Toyomi tower misting fan--ionize feature broke in a few months, power button broke after a year, had to rig a 1 gang light switch in there

Taiyo induction cooker--after attempting to use it after a period of storage, it began tripping the circuit breaker(not RCD)

A-tech 'made in japan' lighting accessories, had a low wattage Fluorescent bulb--the 'ballast' consists of only 3 resistors and a 474J ceramic cap. They are twisted together and little to no solder were used. Bought from a small hardware store.

Taiyo extension lead,the neon indicators fade after using for about two months. Other than that it is fine though.

Travel adapters in general--many does not comply with BS1363 specifications

Edited by fegeleinfegeleinfegelein