Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
st002

Materials That U Regret Using/ Installing

I see good reviews about white laminated kitchen cabinet in this forum. But I still cant help but wonder.. for the top cabinet fitted with the kitchen hood, wouldnt it be more prone to be blackened by soot? I wanted all of the cabinets to be laminated white but this issue is bugging me :wacko:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I did my renovation of my new sale of balance hdb, that time I was very free so I took up the task of being a project coordinator for my renovation project. I looked for contractors ( electrician, plumber, carpenter) to quote for the works that I need.

Bad choice to engage an old uncle for carpentry works. Ended up with bad quality wood, now after 2 years the wood bended for my shoe cabinet. low graded solid surface for kitchen cabinet.

Oh My God such a lengthy thread!! Well the things that gives me heartache are white kitchen cabinets and high kitchen shelves. These are the two things that I would like to modify in coming days.

On 9/12/2010 at 3:34 PM, booksntoys said:

No suspended kitchen cabinets cos it's not practical for me - lesser storage, nest for pests, inconvenient to retrieve food items (e.g., onion, garlic) if they roll under the cabinets.

Plan to build 10cm cement base. Idea is so that it is high enough for irobot or mop to reach in. What do you think? 

Super regret making a Feature wall that is 3m wide by 2m tall...... just 5 years and it looks so obiang now. 

Don't make feature walls! Buy those stand alone tv consoles. The in thing now is to have stand alone furniture pieces. 

Oh ya and planning to build large cupboards in yr kitchen... Please build shelves. Don't leave void air space inside yr cabinets. Can't be used.. 

On the other hand, something great if you don't have enough space is to buy a storage bed frame. Gives u alotttt of extra storage and elevates your bed from the ground! The higher up u are, the less dust you're exposed to. 

After living in for 3.5years, I quite regret hacking my whole house till I only have 1 big master bedroom, mine's a 4rm BTO. I have the 1 common room to combine with my master and the other common room to combine with living / dining room. I loved the space and layout that we had... ...until... ...we had a kid last year and we did not have spare room for baby and helper :( Best to leave at least 1 spare room unless you are very sure you won't have kids or can immediately shift to a bigger house.

2nd regret is to install bathtub in master bath, I have soaked in less than 5 times I guess? Super inconvenient to "shower" and wastes water so we end up mostly showering in the common bath.

3rd regret is we did not overlay kitchen floor tiles - the HDB given tiles are always feeling sticky, even with just a drop of water

What I did not regret

1. Overlaying both toilets - instantly transform the whole feel of the toilets
  2. TV feature wall and long mirror cabinets - Loved it, we used the same vinyl floor tiles on our tv feature wall
  3. White glass laminate for kitchen - contrary to popular believe the laminate did not turn yellow maybe 3.5years is too short to tell?
  4. False ceiling - to conceal air con trunking and light trunking
  5. No window grilles - yay for good view! we locked all the windows though
  6. Marble floor tiles - again instantly different feel of the house
  7. Induction cooker - no need for gas pipes or tank but massively expensive - we got display set from an expo show
  8. Glass wall for the whole kitchen - much like overlaying for the kitchen wall tiles

On 5/8/2017 at 0:19 AM, TannyT said:

Anyone has cemented flooring (industrial modern looking)? Any comments? Easy to clean? Is it slippery? 

Also wanted to post the same thing! Anyone with feedback on their life with cement floors? I've been hearing things like prone to hairline cracks and chips and dents.. we were so set on having our entire place in cement now i'm not so sure... 

Thanks for this thread, extremely informative for a newbie!