Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zirhk3355

Aiyoh, Merlion Kana Struck By Lightning?!

I am sorry but I duno why I find this very amusing... 8|8|

----------

Feb 28, 2009

Merlion hit by lightning

merlion2.jpg

The Merlion suffered a large bald patch.

SINGAPORE'S iconic Merlion statue, a popular tourist attraction, was damaged by lightning on Saturday afternoon during a thunderstorm, according to reports.

No one was hurt.

The Merlion was struck by lightning between 4 and 5 pm local time, causing parts of the statue to fall near a group of startled visitors.

The 8.6 metre-tall Merlion has the head of a lion and the body and tail of a fish, and sits at the mouth of the Singapore River near the central business district.

The lion head symbolises Singapore's founding by an Indonesian prince who named his new settlement after a lion he saw when he landed on the island. The body of the fish represents Singapore's origins as a fishing village.

Singapore, or 'Singapura', is derived from the Sanskrit words Singa (or Lion) and Pura (City).

Singapore's police could not be reached for comment while a spokesman for Singapore's information ministry said she did not have any details about the incident. -- REUTERS

damaged%20merlion.JPG

---

2zqv9d4.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

The lightning and thunder were pretty scary yesterday. I was sleeping at home and was jolted from my sleep. The thunder seems like just outside my window.

Don't be scared lah, this is just a sign of natural incident.

I also couldn't help to smile after looking at the pic of our merlion, OMG, half of its head is "bo tak" liao :o

Really dunno what to think..

Marina Bay full of water.

One Fullerton is metal clad building.

Durian is full of spikes.

Hmm.. Merlion maybe got special karma.

SPH is seriously trying to be funny...just look at the title and pun in this article...

Is it also a coincidence that the reporter's name is not displayed... 8|

-----------

March 2, 2009

Merlion caged

merlionbig.jpg

THE Merlion had to be 'caged'' yesterday for workers to examine the hole in its head. ---> ?????

A lightning strike on Saturday had taken a chunk off its mane. The debris landed on the statue's base, cracking it.

Testifying to its iconic status, the Singapore Tourism Board lost no time sending in the troops to see to the damage. ---> ?????

Tourists and residents alike gawked at the 8.6m sculpture yesterday, trying to make out its injury through the mass of scaffolding.

Mr Anton Johannson, 23, from Sweden, was disappointed that he could not capture the Merlion 'in action'' on camera. It had stopped spouting water. But when told of the lightning strike, he cheered up: 'Now we have a story to tell people!''

STB did not say if this was the first time the Merlion, sited at One Fullerton, had been struck by lightning and whether there was a lightning conductor nearby that could have saved it from harm. ---> ?????

--------------

Copyright © 2007 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved. Privacy Statement & Condition of Access

It's a very bad omen for Singapore.

put one athena on top and turn it to teletabi's friend - tele- melion

like that look more like tele....vision......:P

like that look more like tele....vision......:P

Eh-Oh!!

* Tinky Winky...(Tinky Winky!)...Dipsy...(Dipsy!)...Laa-Laa...(Laa-Laa!)...Po (Po!)...teletubbies...(TELETUBBIES!!)...SAY HA...LO!! (HELLOOOOO...) *

Haha...

Eh-Oh!!

* Tinky Winky...(Tinky Winky!)...Dipsy...(Dipsy!)...Laa-Laa...(Laa-Laa!)...Po (Po!)...teletubbies...(TELETUBBIES!!)...SAY HA...LO!! (HELLOOOOO...) *

Haha...

*tsk*tsk* zek ark leh......our poor national pride bo dai bo ji stand there pui water nia dio zapped, u all so happy.......*tsk*tsk* :no:

:P

Edited by Air