Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Misc100

Will You Check On These When Buying A House?

By Suze Orman

FOR most people, the decision to buy a home hits like love at first sight: After endless rounds of dating, you finally find that special one.

You walk in the front door and swoon over the refurnished hardwood floors.

Your eyes lock on the high ceilings.

Your heart pounds at the fabulous kitchen and the huge yard.

While I totally understand leading with your heart, use your head too.

Before saying 'I do' to one of the biggest financial commitments of your life, you need to follow up with a few repeat visits checking out every nook and cranny for big-ticket problems.

If you're buying directly from the developer, please don't get snookered into believing new means perfect.

Every single house or apartment needs a thorough inspection.

HERE'S A CHECKLIST

Cast your eye high and low, to and fro, to spot cracks or leaks outside your 'normal' field of vision.

If the current owners are still in residence, move their furniture. That means pulling every dresser away from the wall, especially under windows, to check for leaks, cracks and incomplete paint jobs.

Pull back the rugs - you never can tell what those fine threads are hiding.

Visit at different times of the day and night to gauge street noise.

Turn on as many kitchen appliances as possible, simultaneously, to see whether the electrical system can handle the strain.

Turn on every light in every room. And bring a small appliance to plug in to outlets to see if they work. (Your phone charger is handy for this.)

While the dishwasher and the washing machine are running, head to the shower and turn on the hot tap. What about the water pressure and the temperature? What happens when you flush the toilet?

Ring the doorbell, and test the alarm if there is one.

Find out if the neighbours own any dogs. If they have an aggressive breed and you don't have a fence, perhaps this isn't the best backyard for your toddler.

If you're buying an apartment, ask residents next door, above, and below to turn on their stereos and television sets and just walk around.

Get estimates for ongoing maintenance: In a condominium, find out how many times the common charges have been raised during the past five years and by how much.

This article was first published in The New Paper on Aug 9, 2008.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Turn on as many kitchen appliances as possible, simultaneously, to see whether the electrical system can handle the strain.

While the dishwasher and the washing machine are running, head to the shower and turn on the hot tap. What about the water pressure and the temperature? What happens when you flush the toilet?

Ring the doorbell...

If you're buying an apartment, ask residents next door, above, and below to turn on their stereos and television sets and just walk around.

Sorry but I am laughing my head off at these; any buyers who do the above at my house would be shown to the door immediately.

I loved this one best: Ring the doorbell...indeed! Someone who is concerned about the cost of a new doorbell is probably better off to go back and stay with parents...

Sorry but I am laughing my head off at these; any buyers who do the above at my house would be shown to the door immediately.

I loved this one best: Ring the doorbell...indeed! Someone who is concerned about the cost of a new doorbell is probably better off to go back and stay with parents...

Mmm....if you are using your whole life's savings to buy something, should ensure that everything is ok rite?

Btw, the article is from New Paper. :good:

This article was first published in The New Paper on Aug 9, 2008.

:rofl::rofl: think neighbour wont do us the favour ler ... :lol::sport-smiley-004:

and how to ask? :sport-smiley-004:

This refers to buying a resale condo and buyers have no intentions to renovate anything at all? If it's resale HDB, most people would have changed almost everything, especially wiring, and a fresh coat of paint.

This refers to buying a resale condo and buyers have no intentions to renovate anything at all? If it's resale HDB, most people would have changed almost everything, especially wiring, and a fresh coat of paint.

I think it is normal, just like buying fish ($1-$10), we check

1) left and right eyes,

2) left and right gills,

3) check the mouth

4) check the scales colour

5) check the weight

6) check got blood or not

before we buy it. So anything $1mio and above is worth checking bah ;p

Very good advice because after you sign, everything is on new owner... some problems may not surface whilst renovation is going on or when you have not moved in or waiting for customary then move in.

After renovation/customary, if discover washing clothes will cause flooding then terok la.

Water control. Does the ground slope away from the base of the house? Will gutters, downspouts and drainage pipes carry excess water away from the house...or into the basement? Is there any evidence of water damage?

The roof. Is the roof new and in good shape? Does it look neat and properly applied?

Details. Do you see signs of quality workmanship in the finish details such as moldings, tile work, hardware and paint?

Location is often more important than the interior. We can fix the interior with renovation, but we can't change much of the exterior environment (eg. we can't move our kids' school to our neighbourhood but we may change the door bell).

To TS :

Please read the article with a pinch of salt.

In real life you won't be doing most of the above, maybe you are not allowed to at all by the agents or the seller.

If it's a resale flat, just note that wear and tear happens, and nothing is perfect.

Even a brand new condo by some well know developer there will tends to be some defect here and there.

from my experiences, there is no such thing as a perfect home. if it is so perfect, i think no one will want to sell it.

exterior definitely more impt than interior. interior problems can be fixed.

but exterior problems like neighbours, surroundings, fengshui matters, noise etc cannot be fixed.

as a seller i'm ok if the buyer is viewing for the second time and requests to do the above (except the washer part unless they tell me before hand to put my clothes to wash and i wouldn't mind accomodating if its my usual laundry day). viewing second time means that the buyer is really keen about the unit. but if its the first viewing and the buyer started pulling my drawers opening my cupboards, i think that's quite rude!

as a buyer, i'm don't think i'll go to the extreme of asking the neighbours up down left right to on their tvs loudly or switching on all the seller's appliances ie washer?!?!?... but the rest of the suggestions are really good ideas..

Edited by LinDa

I think its not logical too.. I wont feel comfy doing it to others, or the same being done to to me.

Beside the point, I dont think anyone would want to use back most of the things being left behind by the seller, unless we are talking about

floorings and condition of the wall (cracks etc), which can really save alot

Door bells, lights etc... still want to keep meh???

Drag all the furniture away from the wall? on all the applicances.. too extreme already.

If all buyer do that to the seller, can faint lor...

If everyone start dragging the furniture to check the wall... think the floor will have alot of scratches already