Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Michele

Do We Need To Apply Sealant On New-plastered Wall Before Painting?

My ID quoted 'applying sealant on all platered walls before painting'

Please advice - Is it neccessary to apply the sealant b4 painting?

Thanks a lot!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
My ID quoted 'applying sealant on all platered walls before painting'

Please advice - Is it neccessary to apply the sealant b4 painting?

Thanks a lot!

Hi!

Yup, you will need sealant on newly plastered walls or else there will be hairline cracks appearing after some time.... I have to do that for my place as well :paint:

Thanks Molly!

My ID quoted the applying sealant and painting seperately - $300 (sealant) + $800 (painting) for living-room and 2 bedrooms (not for kitchen+dinning) of 3NG flat. Is it overcharged?

She also quote 'include PVC angle-bead for corners' with plastering work. My unit is old - (older than me :) )Do we need the angle-bead as electric wires running on the corners between walls and ceiling?

Please advise!

I'm trying to cut-down spares renovation cost due to limit budget :)

http://www.nipponpaint.com.sg/services/hdbpainting.asp

http://www.dulux.com.sg/eventsnpromos/paintingpackages.jsp

Here's a rough guide of how much painting will cost if you engage your own. there are more options under standard, extra package.

Do check with your ID what kind of paint you getting, those special Medifresh, EasyWash are more expensive than Vinilex.

the PVC angle-bead is a strip of plastic which is L-shaped. It's embedded into protrouding corners to strengthen the corner. Otherwise if they plaster too thick, then it'll be brittle, if u knock hard into it.

Thanks Molly!

My ID quoted the applying sealant and painting seperately - $300 (sealant) + $800 (painting) for living-room and 2 bedrooms (not for kitchen+dinning) of 3NG flat. Is it overcharged?

She also quote 'include PVC angle-bead for corners' with plastering work. My unit is old - (older than me :) )Do we need the angle-bead as electric wires running on the corners between walls and ceiling?

Please advise!

I'm trying to cut-down spares renovation cost due to limit budget :)

HI, its consider quite ok for that amt. Bt u ask n negotiate to include yr kitchen & dining in..

Is there any difference in using water-based or oil-based sealant?

Water based appeals more cos it should be easier to clean up... but just wondering if it will have the same effect...

My hse is due for plastering in the next week and I intend to paint it myself... probably the most physical activity I do this yr.. hehe

Thanks.

oil based sealant better for preventation of mositure..

will be using oil based sealant because my unit is a corner unit and we experience water coming in from external wall and the town council guy suggest us to apply oil based sealant

Now my ID tell me after plastering CANNOT apply oil based sealant because there will be bubbles after oil based sealant is being applied and he tell me water based one also the same..

So it is true that after plastering cannot use oil based sealant???

oil based sealant better for preventation of mositure..

will be using oil based sealant because my unit is a corner unit and we experience water coming in from external wall and the town council guy suggest us to apply oil based sealant

Cannot put water and oil based sealant then what? Dun put at all? I dun get it... what's his suggestion then? Just paint normal paint on top of the plastered surface? I suggest you seek 2nd or 3rd opinions...

I put oil sealant on my plastered walls and it's been a month, no issues so far.. no bubbles or whatever..

So far, painted the ceilings with Matex white emulsion paint, as far as I notice, no issues.

I'd gotten Berger's oil-based sealant initially and subsequently Nippon's oil-based sealant.. the difference is sooo obvious. The Berger's sealant is noticeably thicker and covers much better on the walls. The Nippon I got later, is so watery and upon painting on my walls, can still see those pencils and other markings.

Given a choice, I'd get the Berger's again. It's a pain to remove when it gets on your skin, but that's probably the good part of it as well. Hopefully sticks better on the walls. hehe...

Now my ID tell me after plastering CANNOT apply oil based sealant because there will be bubbles after oil based sealant is being applied and he tell me water based one also the same..

If there is active moisture problem from external wall, and interior u paint oil based sealer, the moisture in the wall will eventually form bubbles. Bubbles also form when the newly constructed wall was painted before allowing it to completely dry out. If it's water based sealer, it will not bubble, but a brown stain will form.

External wall moisture problem MUST be addressed from the external side, never allow moisture to enter the wall in the first place. Even if u waterproof the internal wall, moisture will creep towards the path of least resistance, which could be downstairs neighbour wall. Therefore. TC need to address this.

ID suggest water based sealant.

He already painted 1 coat of paint + water based sealant.

I told him long time ago i wanted oil based sealant because i experience moisture problem on my wall which town council already settled for me. It is the town council guy that suggested oil based sealant.

So should i insist on wanting my oil based sealant ? Does it really make a difference or just let it go since he already painted 1 coat of paint + water based sealant.

If next time i want to paint the wall myself can i buy oil based sealant and DIY?

Cannot put water and oil based sealant then what? Dun put at all? I dun get it... what's his suggestion then? Just paint normal paint on top of the plastered surface? I suggest you seek 2nd or 3rd opinions...

I put oil sealant on my plastered walls and it's been a month, no issues so far.. no bubbles or whatever..

So far, painted the ceilings with Matex white emulsion paint, as far as I notice, no issues.

I'd gotten Berger's oil-based sealant initially and subsequently Nippon's oil-based sealant.. the difference is sooo obvious. The Berger's sealant is noticeably thicker and covers much better on the walls. The Nippon I got later, is so watery and upon painting on my walls, can still see those pencils and other markings.

Given a choice, I'd get the Berger's again. It's a pain to remove when it gets on your skin, but that's probably the good part of it as well. Hopefully sticks better on the walls. hehe...

Hi everyone, 

hope some one can help me with this.. i bought a resale flat with super bright and diy painted walls that was quite jialat.. ex-owner even used spray paint to 'decorate' the walls. now we are quite paranoid with the painting works because we were advised that we definitely need to apply sealant and also need many coats of white to get the walls to prepped for paining.

My question is, is there any way to tell if sealant has been applied? My ID did not tell us when painting works was done, so we only found out when we happened to visit the house. she assures us that sealant was applied.. but is there anyway to know for sure?

The painting looks quite badly done, with bubbles in the paint and alot of rough surfaces, which she insists that was the original condition of the walls. (no way for us to be sure cause we did not inspect the walls prior to painting..)

Hope some experienced painters can advise!

Thanks!

On 25/09/2017 at 11:00 AM, renonewbie1 said:

Hi everyone, 

hope some one can help me with this.. i bought a resale flat with super bright and diy painted walls that was quite jialat.. ex-owner even used spray paint to 'decorate' the walls. now we are quite paranoid with the painting works because we were advised that we definitely need to apply sealant and also need many coats of white to get the walls to prepped for paining.

My question is, is there any way to tell if sealant has been applied? My ID did not tell us when painting works was done, so we only found out when we happened to visit the house. she assures us that sealant was applied.. but is there anyway to know for sure?

The painting looks quite badly done, with bubbles in the paint and alot of rough surfaces, which she insists that was the original condition of the walls. (no way for us to be sure cause we did not inspect the walls prior to painting..)

Hope some experienced painters can advise!

Thanks!

Hello,

"Bubbles" or paint blisters appear when the paint dont stick to the surface it was painted on. There are a couple of common reasons though

1) Didnt put sealer. If the old wallls were spray paint, this is bad. Spray paint are solvent based, and normal interior wall paint are water based. It wont stick. Or if the old walls were dusty and not cleaned first too. 

2) Didnt put sealer properly. Sealer needs to be dried completely. Then put the base coat/ top coat. 

3) Incompatibility of sealer + top coat. This one can also be another reason. Usually i use sealer from same manufacturer as the top coat because manufacturer's side would have tested ot first.

For the rough surfaces, this one may be true. Paint can only cover superficial and hairline cracks. Paint thickness is only a few microns though, it cannot act as a surface smoother. 

Have you got it fixed yet?