Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

I am new to the forum...

I am thinking of doing an A&A to my intermediate terrace, putting up an attic to the existing 2 storey house and making some extensions. Wondering if anyone could provide advice on how to start.

How should I structure specs to invite contractors to quote and advice on good and reliable contractors or A&A home builders.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I am new to the forum...

I am thinking of doing an A&A to my intermediate terrace, putting up an attic to the existing 2 storey house and making some extensions. Wondering if anyone could provide advice on how to start.

How should I structure specs to invite contractors to quote and advice on good and reliable contractors or A&A home builders.

Hi,

I am also currently going through similar exercise. Before getting a quote, you will need to list down exactly what needs to be done. So that you are able to quote your needs to the various contractors that you are sourcing quotes from. Once that's done, time to get quotes. If you have a regular contractor that you trust, that's a start. Take a drive around some estates like Serangoon Gardens where lots of A&A and re-dev is going on and note down the contact number of the contractor that is posted on those information board.

As of last Nov, I've made rough inq for changing roof, extensions to front and back, total remodelling of interior and was given a ballpark quote of $400k. prices have come off somewhat lately.

hope the abv helps a bit. i will keep this forum update once i've taken over the keys and begin work.

cheers

Can advise what's the typical budget I should be looking at?

really depends on what kind of work is needed. quality of finishing also plays a major part.

i was told to use the following ballpark numbers (forummers, pls chime in if you think it's higher/lower)

- changing roofing tiles and beams : 20-30k

- attic : non-concrete: 50k. concrete: 70-80k

- re-wiring, hacking entire floor, plumbing, wet works: 100k

- toilet: 10k each

too much? too little? keen to hear

Edited by scenic98

Must any authourities be informed of building extra toilet?

because it involves additional sewage piping, i think u will need to apply for permit. best to check with a reliable contractor.

really depends on what kind of work is needed. quality of finishing also plays a major part.

i was told to use the following ballpark numbers (forummers, pls chime in if you think it's higher/lower)

this sounds abit too high for me. pretty sure there are structural work here as well right?

I am new to the forum...

For me i ask my uncle's A&A contractor to do everything for me.This 30 april 2009 TOP and will be moving in soon.

Scenic98 i think your re-wiring, hacking entire floor, plumbing, wet works: 100k is abit ex.

Overall i paying 338k A&A front and back extension change all roof to german roof tile and overhaul interior .

IF you want pricing to compare you can send a mail。

Edited by lengleng

Scenic98 i think your re-wiring, hacking entire floor, plumbing, wet works: 100k is abit ex.

Overall i paying 338k A&A front and back extension change all roof to german roof tile and overhaul interior .

IF you want pricing to compare you can send a mail to ( wnt33@singnet.com.sg ).

Hi Leng Leng, thanks for sharing the information. Will like to learn more about what was included in the 338K and what was the GFA build up. Apart from the front and back extensions, did you have another attic? Did your interior furnishings include all the cabinets and wardrobes? My intention is to do the A&A the later part of this year.

Hi Leng Leng, thanks for sharing the information. Will like to learn more about what was included in the 338K and what was the GFA build up. Apart from the front and back extensions, did you have another attic? Did your interior furnishings include all the cabinets and wardrobes? My intention is to do the A&A the later part of this year.

Hi Dereklsh,

Edited by lengleng

Hi Dereklsh,

1 ) i only know the internal build up area 336.5sqm

2) It come with attic

3 ) Interior furnishings does not include cabinet and wardrobes.

Hope this can help you to do your sum.

IF you want pricing to compare you can send a mail to ( wnt33@singnet.com.sg ).

Tks Lengleng,

agreed 100k maybe a bit over the top. but my this contractor friend tends to be more conservative. So we shall see.

now waiting for lawyer's to get paperwork done.

These are my plans...

- remodel entire kitchen. kind of small now. but has potential to optimise space.

- back extension to maximum allowable set-back, which is at most by another a metre or so more

- fill a void space abv dining area, to create another room upstairs.

- re-size one of the bed room

- redo all 3 bathrooms

- utilise attic space. existing attic already have enough space and height for room there, but original developer did not carry out back then.

- change aircons.

existing living/dining marble tiles all in good condition. power supply already using 3 phase, cable tv already in, yard and porch condition still good. so leaving all these untouched.

let's see how much it's gonna cost.

For me i ask my uncle's A&A contractor to do everything for me.This 30 april 2009 TOP and will be moving in soon.

guys, im not sure if by driving around landed property estates and taking down contractors number is a good practice.

But to throw down 300k onwards, why not get a proper qualified professional [eg, architect or engineer] who will ensure qualified and safety A&A to your property?

Generally A&A work requires plan submission to authorities like URA and BCA. A qualified person such as a Professional Civil Engineer (PE) is usually needed when comes to plan submission. For some minor A&A works, you may not even need an architect as the PE can take care of the whole submission.

I know of a PE , Chris and any one embarking any A&A can contact him at 98675706.