Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Rasp

Our Home

Updates:

This few days were quite hectic for us. We spent every min thinking about the carpentry and electrical works. ;)

Below are the works done over the past few days:

a) Discussion on electrical works and confirmation last thurs.

b) Plumbering works for both bathrooms were done on Friday.

c) The electrical works started on Mon, we were both at the site to look at how the wires casing were ran. And we also made some changes to the original discussion, so got to communicate to the workers. :P

d) We also had the carpentry discussion on Mon and the designs were confirmed right after it. But later in the evening, we found that we missed out on certain areas as our carpentry discussion was interrupted by the window installer who was there to check with hb on some issues. So hb had to tell the carpenter about those stuff over the phone on tuesday. Hope he got the changes and praying real hard that the design come out well.

e) We also confirmed the painting selection on Mon.

f) Aircon installation was done on tuesday. The bi-fold installer also came over to measure the door width.

Phew!! Seems like we have confirmed most of the stuff already. Meanwhile, we can relax abit. I am uploading some pics which I have taken these few days, will post them in a short while. Hee.. :lol:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Updates on Aircon installation

The Aircon installer was early on Tuesday and rang hb up to check if we can meet them 1hr earlier than the scheduled appointment time. We only managed to reach there around 30mins earlier. :rolleyes:

And before we enter the house, the main door frame installer intercepted us at the entrance to check about the placement. Oops.. but the aircon technician is very nice and patient. He didnt rush us and stood outside the house with us while we looked at the door.

We did some homework earlier and found that our aircon trucking is going to be pretty tough as our compressor will be located next to the old mbr which doesn't have any unit. And there is alot of beams along the way.

The day before our aircon installation, our contractor also helped us take a look and he thinks the drainage is going to be an issue for the 2nd unit. In addition, he commented that our installer might have to hack the external wall outside the mbr bathrm (yes, outside) for the drainage pipe to run back to the bathroom.

Our 2nd unit is a big challenge as it is across the walkway and surrounded by beams. The easy way out for most installer will be to run the trucking across the walkway under the beams, which was what our previous owner did also. But its quite ugly to do that as the big trucking will be seen from afar since its under the beams. :(

During our discussion with the technician, we found that he is quite good and patient. He explained the trucking route to us on all those locations that we are thinking of placing the units. He suggested some area of placement which we have not thought of it and really like it but later cant make it due to our carpentry works.

Both of us can see that he is trying his best to make the trucking as neat as possible for the owner. Think he really got put his heart into his work. :thumbs up:

And due to the difficulty of our trucking, he told us earlier in the afternoon that our work might not be able to finish by half a day and called his office to inform them that he might have to come back the next day to complete it. But around 4pm+, he came to us to check when will we be leaving the house as he hopes to finish everything that day so that we don't have to take leave etc for it. As we are not in a hurry, we told him to continue so long as there is sufficient light for him to work and not to worry that we are leaving.

End up, he managed to finish his work around 7pm and the workshipman is quite good. During the last part which is to connect the compressor plug to do testing, he also suggested to us not to connect the compressor plug as he thinks that the workers are likely to use the aircon when we are not around. And this is not 'healthy' for the units as the air is full of dust during reno. We are ok to go ahead with his suggestion but wonder how to test the unit now. He then connected the compressor wires to the extension cord using the wire casing. And our units are all powered up for the test. :o He on the units for us to test while they clean up the area.

He later gave us his personal mobile no. and told us to phone him when our reno is around 80-90% completed. And he will come down to help us connect the plug and help us test the units again. And the reason for waiting until the reno is around 80-90% was, incase of any issue (touch wood!), our contractor can still help with the touchup such as painting etc..

He's a really nice and thoughtful guy for the owners. Both of us are all thumbups for him. :thumbs up:

Pics!

The barang barang from the aircon guys... the casing look real big right? Its 3 by 4 inches. I almost fainted when I saw it.

P1020980-1.jpg

My compressor:

P1020983.jpg

My system 2 units:

P1020982.jpg

The insulator for the pipes:

Our previous aircon trucking had condensation and water leakage issues. Hence, Hb went for the upgrade on the insulator and pipes thickness. This explained why the casing look so big. ;)

P1020990.jpg

The copper pipes for the gas:

New pipes were used, not leftovers from previous job. :) The pipe thickness is 0.7 instead of the usual 0.6.

P1020994.jpg

P1020997.jpg

Getting ready the insulator + pipes:

P1030024.jpg

Here's the compressor bracket before mounting the heavy compressor. The technician climbed out of the window to do the installation of the bracket. We were so worried for him.

P1030010.jpg

They sealed up the exterior portion using a metal sheet. From what we understand, most of the shops will only provide wood blocks to seal up the exterior, and with constant contact with rain, the wood tends to rot and leave lobang on the wood.

The technician was out of the window for quite sometime to secure the metal sheet nicely and silicon the border. Quite nicely done up. :D

P1030016.jpg

This is how the inside look like.. the support of the bracket is actually behind the wall and not just mount on the hole. We thought its much safer to do it this way as the compressor is really heavy. I think I saw the compressor box indicated the weight as 47kg. So heavy...

The casing is also cut out neatly to give allowance to the wire plug. :)

P1030038.jpg

Last by not least, they boxed up the whole thing. Look quite nice, guess it will look better after our painter paints it. :lol:

P1030058.jpg

Here's the heavy compressor before it goes out of the window.

P1030047.jpg

This is the aircon unit at our new mbr. Hb increased to 12,000 btu due to our room size.

P1030057.jpg

This is the smaller aircon unit at the other room, having the normal 9,000 btu.

P1030056.jpg

Updates:

We noticed that most contractors will leave the wall behind the kitchen cabinet alone if the owners are not tiling that section as this part of the wall is going to be covered by the kitchen cabinet. As we are not tiling for the top and bottom wall behind the cabinet, my contractor also leave it alone. However, both of us thought that the uneven section of the wall is going to be great for the ants to use as 'expressway' to access our kitchen cabinet. So hb communicated our concerns with Henry as well as check if his worker can cemented it for us.

The pre-cemented pic... can you see the holes on the wall? I think its scary to build the cabinet infront of it. :unsure:

P1020639.jpg

We were at site when Hb rang Henry about this. And shortly after, we saw the worker start working on it.

P1030034.jpg

However, the worker only cemented the bottom section and left the top untouched. We were puzzled and hb ask him about it. The worker told us that its ok to leave the top part alone and if we want to cement it, need to call his boss. :blink: so hb got to call Henry again. Henry said he will settled it for us.

This is what I see the following day. :thumbs up:

P1030062.jpg

Updates on Recess area:

The workers had started to build the wall and main door frame at our recess area. Hee.. quite small area and definitely darker after the wall is up. Think hardly any spaces left after they put up the shoe cabinet. ;)

P1020995.jpg

hi, hope this pics can help.. :yamseng:

Just a thin layer of black mirror stick outside the panel..

3852135801_312800bd37.jpg

The mirror very nice ! Make your console very sleek !

But lidat the player sensors can detect ornot ? Need to flip open then can use or can go through the mirrors ?

The mirror very nice ! Make your console very sleek !

But lidat the player sensors can detect ornot ? Need to flip open then can use or can go through the mirrors ?

We also think its nice. My Hb thinks need to flip open for the sensors to detect as the black mirror should be pasted on a wood plank or something. Hee.. got to wait for luckable to review the answer.

We also think its nice. My Hb thinks need to flip open for the sensors to detect as the black mirror should be pasted on a wood plank or something. Hee.. got to wait for luckable to review the answer.

Hi, ya the sensors can't detect.. We only open 1 panel when we wanna watch tv, if not the panels are close most of the time.. So it wun be so dusty inside.. :P

Hi, ya the sensors can't detect.. We only open 1 panel when we wanna watch tv, if not the panels are close most of the time.. So it wun be so dusty inside.. :P

Hee.. Though cant detect, its quite a neat design as the panel are kept inside the console even when opened. And the design is really sleek. Too bad, we cant go for it. ;)

Updates on Recess area:

They had cemented the newly built walls already. Looks ok to us. Guess the main door & grills will be up soon, so that the old one can be dismantle. But I am slightly worried that the workers might dirty the new door. Hee.. start worrying even before I see the door. :P

P1030068.jpg

My shoe cabinet area.... seems dark.. :unsure:

P1030066.jpg

The flooring had been leveled up slightly. In fact, it was slightly higher that what I expected as the regulation states that we cant level it too high, so we set a real low expectation for it. And hb was previously quite worried about water coming in from the regular monthly block washing. But the current 'height' seems quite decent for the wash. :D

P1030064.jpg

Updates on Recess area:

The recess area have been tiled. This is how the entrance look like from infront.

P1030132.jpg

The tiling at recess area. There are actually faint horizontal lines patterns on the tiles but cant see clearly as the tiles are quite dusty now.

P1030134.jpg

The shoe cabinet area seems slightly brighter with the white-ish floor tiles. hee.. maybe its psychological. :P

P1030130.jpg

Hee.. this is how the outside look like from my old door frame. After the lift upgrading, the lift landing will be on the right of the space infront now and the lift next to my opposite neighbour. :)

P1030124.jpg

Updates on electrical works:

We noticed that they had installed some of the powerpoints at the kitchen as well as tidy up the casing at the recess area.

Here's the pics!

These are the double double points at the cabinet next to my fridge. We have specifically told them not to go under the beam as its super ugly. Hee.. didnt want to take risk as any mistake will means redo-ing the wall tiles.

P1030111.jpg

This is for my washing machine. The same casing cover 2 lines, the other one went into the common bathroom.

P1030113.jpg

They have removed all the 3 casing that previously go into the house through here. Its ugly as its cutting across my recess area. We told the electrician to tidy this up and not to have any casing above my old door frame as that's the first place that visitor will see when they enter my place.

P1030119.jpg

All the casing now runs behind the water pipes before entering the flat through the hole at the top right.

P1030121.jpg

My new db box. The svc and telephone box will be next to it.

P1030125.jpg

Rasp,

I finally get my account validate after changing the email address.. Have been too busy these days with my kids..

Think my house will nt be renovating so soon..

Your reno status seems quite good..

Please invite me to your house when is ready..

Haha.. bu yao lian to ask myself..