Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Honeygal

Very Smelly Rubbish Chute

I just moved into my new place 3 weeks ago. Even before i moved in, i found the rubbish chute to be extremely smelly. I stay at the 11th floor, which is the second top most floor in the block. The smell lingers for at least 30 seconds after i close the chute and cabinet doors. The smell permeates everywhere and my cutlery drainer is right above the chute cabinet! Unhygienic indeed.

Please advise what i can use to cover the smell, or better still, get rid of the smell. Thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I just moved into my new place 3 weeks ago. Even before i moved in, i found the rubbish chute to be extremely smelly. I stay at the 11th floor, which is the second top most floor in the block. The smell lingers for at least 30 seconds after i close the chute and cabinet doors. The smell permeates everywhere and my cutlery drainer is right above the chute cabinet! Unhygienic indeed.

Please advise what i can use to cover the smell, or better still, get rid of the smell. Thanks!

I stay in a very old HDB unit and I think got 30yrs old. I also got the same problem... once I open my main door and enter the house I can smell coming out of the chute. Than it get worst so we sent email to town council and in 1 week time they reply that a mechanic was spoil (think its a filter for the air ba) and thay had it replace and it do really get better.

Try contacting the town council.

Hi Honeygal,

I too face the very same problem in my new place.I have just moved there.I can feel the smell sometimes even when i open the main door.

Have you resolved your problem?If so, how could you mange it?pls help.

Thanks in advance

The simple reason for the smell is because hot air rises ...

there is bound to be some decomposition in the rubbish cute and decomposition will give out heat and some gases (which is smelly of course).

The heat will make the air rises and that is why the smell is carried up.

Since you are staying near the top floor, that's where all the gases are accumulated if there is no other higher place for them to go up.

The 3 ways to solve this:

1. Close the cute and next time just take your rubbish out or downstairs

2. Educate the people in your block to throw their rubbish, especially food items in plastic bags.

3. Install air fresher near the entrance of your cute (just joking)

Now the weather is hotter, expect the smell to get worst.

The simple reason for the smell is because hot air rises ...

there is bound to be some decomposition in the rubbish cute and decomposition will give out heat and some gases (which is smelly of course).

The heat will make the air rises and that is why the smell is carried up.

Since you are staying near the top floor, that's where all the gases are accumulated if there is no other higher place for them to go up.

The 3 ways to solve this:

1. Close the cute and next time just take your rubbish out or downstairs

2. Educate the people in your block to throw their rubbish, especially food items in plastic bags.

3. Install air fresher near the entrance of your cute (just joking)

Now the weather is hotter, expect the smell to get worst.

thanks for the explanation, now i understand! gosh this is so depressing.

i have put in those Charcoal pieces which supposedly removes smell, as well as air freshener. all don't help, as the rubbish smell is simply overpowering. am at my wits end !!!