Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
eiffel76

Acid Wash

hi all,

what is the real purpose of acid wash? is it necessary?

my contractor, after acid wash, caused the grouting to turn white (my tiles are black)...how to remedy? (he has since left my project).

and also aft acid wash, for more than 1 month, workers are stil walking ard w boots, shoes on....to carry out other part of works..

btw he hs left behind a bottle of acid...if i were to diy, do i apply it straightaway or shd dilute it with some water??

hope experts here can help...thank you.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
hi all,

what is the real purpose of acid wash? is it necessary?

my contractor, after acid wash, caused the grouting to turn white (my tiles are black)...how to remedy? (he has since left my project).

is it the kitchen floor?

is it the kitchen floor?

hi...both my entrance area (small balcony) and kitchen floor are black tiles...so they are now "outlined" by white grouting...

im thking worse come to worst i wil jus use black marker... :(

DO not ever apply acid on BLACK TILES, it will worse the situation only....may i know the surace of the tiles...Contractors always use ACID for the final Solution...there are two ways to solve the problems.

Firstly, clean the surface of the tiles, apply the KIWI (cream that used to polish leather shoe) to darker /blacker the surface of the tiles...as Kiwi, itself is black n oily, the liquied will dip into the surface of the tiles, That's the best way......

second, or u can use ANWAY metal cleaner to clean the white lines.....................

However, kindly check the surface of the tiles before u decide to use which method...........

p/s:kindly take note, Black Tiles always encounter with problems when ACID is applied on its surface.........esp from CHINA MADE and i truly believe that the black tiles that u selected it's from China, which tiles shop that u get ur tiles (Lian Seng Hin, Hafary or Soon Bee Huat)

hi

I have black granite tiles with rough, flamed(?) surface. The other day, the construction worker said they were going to use acid wash to clean up the tiles. I am thus concerned now that the earlier post pointed out acid wash should not be used on black tiles. Can confirm and explain why pls?

hi...both my entrance area (small balcony) and kitchen floor are black tiles...so they are now "outlined" by white grouting...

im thking worse come to worst i wil jus use black marker... :(

give it some time. Your black grout has become 'white' grout for the time being because during acid wash, they wash from wall tiles to floor tiles...the workers did not use enough water to thoroughly wash away the white powders accumulated on the tiles so its making your black grout turn 'white'. I have this problem now and my contractor got them to do another acid wash (after i moved in for 3 weeks). Kept telling the workers to wash with more water and now most of it has finally turned black except for a few areas so we'll just need to give it some time.

so it is just temporary har...

yes, if confirm its black grout like mine. Washing and mopping would gradually turn it to the original black from the current white. Of course, it'll take time as our normal washing and mopping cant be compared to the acid wash. I'll just have to bear with the white grouts for the time being.

yes, if confirm its black grout like mine. Washing and mopping would gradually turn it to the original black from the current white. Of course, it'll take time as our normal washing and mopping cant be compared to the acid wash. I'll just have to bear with the white grouts for the time being.

my black glossy tiles have dulled and turned to dark brown after 1 month. i have been using Kiwi anti bacterial floor cleaner very regularly and a whitish layer seem to emerge, and the condition of tiles has worsened. i remember the tiles & grout lines as very black before the acid wash.

please advise what i can do to remedy the situation, eg what floor cleaner is most suitable, thanks !!

my black glossy tiles have dulled and turned to dark brown after 1 month. i have been using Kiwi anti bacterial floor cleaner very regularly and a whitish layer seem to emerge, and the condition of tiles has worsened. i remember the tiles & grout lines as very black before the acid wash.

please advise what i can do to remedy the situation, eg what floor cleaner is most suitable, thanks !!

i'm not too sure about how to rectify your problem. In fact, my contractor reminded me not to get black tiles as white layer would form on it as time goes by. Maybe u try mopping it with just water to get rid of the residue and or dont add too much floor cleaner to it.

Edited by hello88

why white layer will form on it???

i'm not too sure about how to rectify your problem. In fact, my contractor reminded me not to get black tiles as white layer would form on it as time goes by. Maybe u try mopping it with just water to get rid of the residue and or dont add too much floor cleaner to it.

white layer most likely caused by soup/detergent residue.

dear all, wld like to update my experience with the acid wash after a tiring weekend of washing whole house (tiles only) with acid. i learnt quite a bit aft the wash.

this step effectively removes all the wax residue and paint traces on your new tiles, black tiles incl (bro boon pin, my black tiles are stil ok aft the wash, i had to take a risk on them as they were simply too dirty n normal detergent is not useful).

it will also remove the stubborn dirt trapped on your white grout (eg. white homo tiles).

however few things to special note: (1) wear good quality gloves (very impt) as when in contact w skin, it cause a burning feeling (2) wear a face mask, if u dun wan to keep taking in the acid fumes (a burnt smell) (3) avoid using acid to wash metal (very impt! it will blacken stainless steel. boo hoo hoo...then goes my once beautiful stainless steel rubbish chute n basin stand) (4) equip yourself w a scrapper to remove paint traces..

i thk most of u prob wont need to do yourself as its usu done by the contractor...but my contractor sigh....

my house also the same, after the so-call chemical wash. my grout line disappeared. I dared not to touch or wash. I had cleared mop my floor, perhaps I should mop now after completed and see any defects first.