Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Goofball

Any Experience With Alvin From Unimax?

They did the works for my unit and only when I was selling my place did I realize that they did not file the entirety of the works with HDB! I could not handover the flat because HDB refused to certify their checklist!

WTF! And when I called them to complain about it they simply ignored the issue!
I had to engage a PE and another contractor to make up for their mistakes!

Fugging rubbish Company. Go with UNIMAX at your own risk!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

After 3 over months of searching and haggling with numerous IDs and contractors, I've finally signed up with Kelvin Li from Unimax.

I hope I've made the right choice, especially when others have had bad experiences with Unimax. At the end of the day, I chose Kelvin because of the following:

1) he won my wife and me over with his sincerity,

2) his willingness to work around my minuscule budget at a lower profit for himself,

3) we can click

4) he's been very service oriented so far, he even went as far as to pick me up from my office and send me back there after for our initial discussions

5) I personally feel he does offer design inputs

For now, I cross my fingers that despite my low low budget, that his level of service remains and that he follows through well. I also hope that there won't be surprises where I'm required to top up a lot of money for hidden costs not mentioned at the start. I'll start a t-blog and update on the status of the reno and the quality of work done. I'm kind of a guinea pig as well, cos if the quality of the work is good, i'll get my uncle-in-law to get him to do his condo as well. If he passes all my criteria/'test', then I'll definitely recommend my friends/colleagues and of course fellow RT forummers to go to him if they want a hassle-free, design-full makeover of their home.

Somehow for now, my gut feel that Kelvin won't let me down.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

How is Kelvin Li’s service & workmanship arranged by him?

Am looking for a reliable id. Hope to hear from you.

Thanks & Regards.

hi, i read your raves about kelvin and went to him as my first ID to consult.

he did give a very good and convincing presentation.

BUT his quoote is way too high..

being a newbie in renovation as this is our first home, i guess he knew we are very green in this area.

his quotation shocked us as a four room flat costs us 27k even with floorings done..to be fair, we had some capenrty as well.

but as we compared the quote, most of his items quoted us are 100-150 more ex than others quote us.

it's realli dissappointing as we wanted to engaged him stil coz we reali have confident in unimax.

he promised to requote and revert to us by last sun, sadly he did not follow up.

i even dropped him an email to ask him revised his quote on other areas, but he did not reply since a week ago!

i duno how to further engaged him as the ID..coz i have lose faith in him..yet i like the design.

sigh!!

as for baroque, i feel their design are abit old sch and abit 'uncle'

do you all think so?

I contacted Baroque and Mike got back to me. However there wasn't any follow up even though I sms him to meet up. I dropped him eventually. Not very sure of their design, but I went past the showroom once and it wasn't impressive too. Didn't have a good feel, so all the more affirmed my feel about this ID.

After 3 over months of searching and haggling with numerous IDs and contractors, I've finally signed up with Kelvin Li from Unimax.

I hope I've made the right choice, especially when others have had bad experiences with Unimax. At the end of the day, I chose Kelvin because of the following:

2) his willingness to work around my minuscule budget at a lower profit for himself,

3) we can click

4) he's been very service oriented so far, he even went as far as to pick me up from my office and send me back there after for our initial discussions

For now, I cross my fingers that despite my low low budget, that his level of service remains and that he follows through well. I also hope that there won't be surprises where I'm required to top up a lot of money for hidden costs not mentioned at the start. I'll start a t-blog and update on the status of the reno and the quality of work done. I'm kind of a guinea pig as well, cos if the quality of the work is good, i'll get my uncle-in-law to get him to do his condo as well. If he passes all my criteria/'test', then I'll definitely recommend my friends/colleagues and of course fellow RT forummers to go to him if they want a hassle-free, design-full makeover of their home.

hi, i read your raves about kelvin and went to him as my first ID to consult.

he did give a very good and convincing presentation.

BUT his quoote is way too high..

being a newbie in renovation as this is our first home, i guess he knew we are very green in this area.

his quotation shocked us as a four room flat costs us 27k even with floorings done..to be fair, we had some capenrty as well.

but as we compared the quote, most of his items quoted us are 100-150 more ex than others quote us.

it's realli dissappointing as we wanted to engaged him stil coz we reali have confident in unimax.

he promised to requote and revert to us by last sun, sadly he did not follow up.

i even dropped him an email to ask him revised his quote on other areas, but he did not reply since a week ago!

i duno how to further engaged him as the ID..coz i have lose faith in him..yet i like the design.

sigh!!

as for baroque, i feel their design are abit old sch and abit 'uncle'

do you all think so?

Guest melancholic

3) we can click

Guest melancholic
After been shopping around for ID in the past 2 mths and got scammed by Max's Image for a expensive preview -.-". I guess prolly I've seen the worst and the best (Peter Tay, but he onli does high end & modern design project).

I personally would prefer IDs that are separate from contractors even though its nt that easy to find on the market now. That means they do charge you design and coordination fee in a separate quote (under the ID company names), and the contractor you have chosen from them will bill you separately. But pls beware of some films may use this technique to scam as well because sometimes invoices cant be trust either.

My concern to you is if you squeeze too much on the price for films that does design and build, they may subsidize the material that use during the reno. For example, plywood comes in different grades, they can prolly go for something cheaper or even worse, they may use wooden chip boards (Ikea use it) to make ur furniture in their carpenter workshop and lay a finishing on top of it, its very hard to notice the difference for me though.

Thanks. Yea.. good point... none of us will know if the quality of material used is as touted..especially when it is covered up! Unless I monitor the reno work closely and even then, what do I know about such materials? They can show me an inferior plywood and tell me its top quality solid plywood and I'd probably still be clueless.

hmmm What's more, they can say that the quotation say plywood, and doesn't mention the quality.. so they aren't cheating me huh?

Sigh... If only my previous contractor didn't close down. Arrghh.. Damien from Tong Ngee.. where did you disappear to??

After been shopping around for ID in the past 2 mths and got scammed by Max's Image for a expensive preview -.-". I guess prolly I've seen the worst and the best (Peter Tay, but he onli does high end & modern design project).

I personally would prefer IDs that are separate from contractors even though its nt that easy to find on the market now. That means they do charge you design and coordination fee in a separate quote (under the ID company names), and the contractor you have chosen from them will bill you separately. But pls beware of some films may use this technique to scam as well because sometimes invoices cant be trust either.

My concern to you is if you squeeze too much on the price for films that does design and build, they may subsidize the material that use during the reno. For example, plywood comes in different grades, they can prolly go for something cheaper or even worse, they may use wooden chip boards (Ikea use it) to make ur furniture in their carpenter workshop and lay a finishing on top of it, its very hard to notice the difference for me though.

Quote is reasonable, but if you scrutinise closer, you will notice some things are way over-priced, like false ceiling. But that said, this is the buyer's market now... and Unimax is not so stuck up.. at least the ID I'm considering isn't. He offered to relook at the pricing. Only thing though, is my worry that if the price is reduced too much, the service and attentiveness I would get would also drop, since I would no longer be a 'valuable' customer and the ID would rightly focus more time on the projects/customers that are bringing in the bacon for him. After all, from what I understand, IDs don't get a fixed salary but earn on commission basis from the PROFITS they bring in, and not total value of the contract.

Guest melancholic
I have only meeted up with Vince in Unimax b4. Their quote is reasonable (he haven't got the chance for the site measurement though, thus subject to changes). The staff is service is great.

However, what stop me from engaging the film is that their design don't seem to be very outstanding compare to some other films.

Quote is reasonable, but if you scrutinise closer, you will notice some things are way over-priced, like false ceiling. But that said, this is the buyer's market now... and Unimax is not so stuck up.. at least the ID I'm considering isn't. He offered to relook at the pricing. Only thing though, is my worry that if the price is reduced too much, the service and attentiveness I would get would also drop, since I would no longer be a 'valuable' customer and the ID would rightly focus more time on the projects/customers that are bringing in the bacon for him. After all, from what I understand, IDs don't get a fixed salary but earn on commission basis from the PROFITS they bring in, and not total value of the contract.

I have only meeted up with Vince in Unimax b4. Their quote is reasonable (he haven't got the chance for the site measurement though, thus subject to changes). The staff is service is great.

However, what stop me from engaging the film is that their design don't seem to be very outstanding compare to some other films.

Hi there guys!

I'm currently on the look out for a ID for my 4rm resale flat. Recce around with my hubby and shortlisted 2 who met our budget and "critical character" both me and hubby thought are important for ID to have. Hehe...One is a contracter who is very patient and i heard good reviews from my mum's friend who rave about his workmanship and he gave me a very attractive quote. The other is Alvin from Unimax who we met in a exhibition... He was the first one we spoke to and he was the only one who we felt comfortable with.

So far we met him for the second time and he has prove to be very honest, patient and resposible. We didnt have big budget but he make the effort to answer up our questions cos we are pure sotong worthy blurness. However he is slightly pricer than the contractor we are also considering and I dunoe abt his after service.

Been hearing so bad experiences friends have with other firms after signing up... :(

So,if anyone who have prior experience with Alvin from Unimax or even just Unimax, kindly enlighten me?????Thank you!!!!

Hi there guys!

I'm currently on the look out for a ID for my 4rm resale flat. Recce around with my hubby and shortlisted 2 who met our budget and "critical character" both me and hubby thought are important for ID to have. Hehe...One is a contracter who is very patient and i heard good reviews from my mum's friend who rave about his workmanship and he gave me a very attractive quote. The other is Alvin from Unimax who we met in a exhibition... He was the first one we spoke to and he was the only one who we felt comfortable with.

So far we met him for the second time and he has prove to be very honest, patient and resposible. We didnt have big budget but he make the effort to answer up our questions cos we are pure sotong worthy blurness. However he is slightly pricer than the contractor we are also considering and I dunoe abt his after service.

Been hearing so bad experiences friends have with other firms after signing up... :(

So,if anyone who have prior experience with Alvin from Unimax or even just Unimax, kindly enlighten me?????Thank you!!!!