Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
alan26

Reduction Of Electricity Bill

Since January after i move in to my new home, I done some testing in reducing my electricity bill.

My pub bill is about $70+ include electricity, water and gas for my 4rm flat. Maybe you guys should try it out also.

Test 1

After turning off the aircon, if i kept the switch(for aircon) ON, i check the meter outside it is running fast.

Test 2

then i tried turning off the switch but leaving the aircon plug there, the meter outside is running a bit slower but to me still quite fast.

Test 3

then i tried turn off the switch and plug out the aircon plug, the meter outside is running significately slower than before.

Now I'm researching to reduce my water bill, almost done liao.

To be continued....

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Since January after i move in to my new home, I done some testing in reducing my electricity bill.

My pub bill is about $70+ include electricity, water and gas for my 4rm flat. Maybe you guys should try it out also.

Test 1

After turning off the aircon, if i kept the switch(for aircon) ON, i check the meter outside it is running fast.

Test 2

then i tried turning off the switch but leaving the aircon plug there, the meter outside is running a bit slower but to me still quite fast.

Test 3

then i tried turn off the switch and plug out the aircon plug, the meter outside is running significately slower than before.

To be continued....

bro u r using Inverter or Non Inverter? Coz I don't think I can unplug my air-con plug on my newly installed Mit Heavy Industrial leh....

Another effective way to reduce our electricity bill is to unplug the switches from the sockets when not in use. Yes, it may sound troublesome but it has been proven to reduce bills. Savings are rather substantial.

Especially for computer printers - they are a 'vampire'.

Test 1

Test 2

Test 3

To be continued....

Wow if you are the kind that turn on aircon often, 70+ is really good.

for me, we switch off all applicances from the electrical socket, but din unplug.

turn on air con only once in a while (like once or twice a week for a few hours). when air con not in use, switch off from compressor side. No tv...

2 lap tops and 1 computer, my husband, me + our tenant PUB bill abt 50+ a month..we cook a few times a week (i.e. not everyday)... daytime all working, no one home. 4 room flat :)

Edited by makemefly

not easy to unplug the aircon switch leh.....round 3 pin one.....and the bigger aircon for living room one only got switch, no plug.....but well, we only turn on once or twice a month....so....may not see any difference.

dun use LCD TV lar, Plasma may save you more $$$$....coz LCD TV is drawing almost maximum electricity in constant manner, Plasma will draw less energy when showing black, more energy when showing white.....my 50" FHD only drawing 300W+ in average.....

Yes, I believe its a myth to say that plasma consumes more energy. It depends on situation of the scenes (dark or bright), size of tv and also the technology on it operates.If you watch the same film on a plasma TV, during bright scenes it will use more energy than LCD TV (because need draw more energy to light up each pixels). But during the dark scenes it will use less energy than LCD TV ( because a matrix of thin-film transistors (TFTs) supplies voltage to liquid-crystal-filled cells sandwiched between two sheets of glass that draws energy at a constant rate). The result should roughly be the same.

As for my home, I am using a 40inch LCD.

From my understanding,

1. Plasma tv consume 20% more energy than LCD TV.

2. Plasma producing more heat compare to LCD TV.

3. As the plasma tv is use for a period of time when the xenon and neon gas depleted , the user might have to get it refill. Not cheap i think.

From my understanding,

1. Plasma tv consume 20% more energy than LCD TV.

2. Plasma producing more heat compare to LCD TV.

3. As the plasma tv is use for a period of time when the xenon and neon gas depleted , the user might have to get it refill. Not cheap i think.

alan26, your this piece of info is like 4-5 years old liaoz leh.....refill gas? come on....give me a break.....was curious why didn't you also mention burn mark?

LCD is a component called backlight. That's the thing can make LCD visible. The current it draws is constant no matter if you view full dark or full white screen. Like what ncy mentioned, Plasma draws much lesser power in dark screen.

This will eventually average out the total electricity consumption. And based on my experience, it is lower than same size LCD :D My samsung full hd 50" Plasma is consuming about 300W, try checking how much a 46" or 52" LCD? You will be shocked....btw, dun look at the specs, you need a power meter to measure the power consumption yourself, over a period of time.

I always share that, dun buy LCD because you thought it can save you $$$.....it may not be the case and you're sacrificing the PQ.....nevertheless, LED backlight LCD TV may be different story, unfortunately, the price is still too high.....i can't imagine paying $5K for a 46" LED backlight LCD TV.....

Edited by tingshen

for water bill, someone earlier tested and applying the method of dripping the tap while he/she goes to work, and comes back with a bucket of water for water plants or flush toilet. However I tested mine, and it doesn't work maybe coz newer flat. even the smallest drip will trigger the meter :bangwall:

for water bill, someone earlier tested and applying the method of dripping the tap while he/she goes to work, and comes back with a bucket of water for water plants or flush toilet. However I tested mine, and it doesn't work maybe coz newer flat. even the smallest drip will trigger the meter :bangwall:

got use leh, where got no use? we drip water onto a big red tub everyday. when we return home from work, there's a full tub ready for us to use, for flushing toilets and washing clothes. & the best part is, the meter hardly run at all.

Wow, this actually works? I'll give it a try.

got use leh, where got no use? we drip water onto a big red tub everyday. when we return home from work, there's a full tub ready for us to use, for flushing toilets and washing clothes. & the best part is, the meter hardly run at all.

i'm using a timer to off the power to my 4L electric flask during times when we are not home & when sleeping (which is abt 12hrs a day) & my electric bill have reduced by abt $20 for 2 consecutive months now.... :good:

now i'm thinking what else can i power off during these times....... :dunno:

Wow, this actually works? I'll give it a try.

of course got use....becoz i have a full tub of water to use at the end of the day when i return home. its so useful! you can use it to mop floor, wipe, wash clothes, wash dishes etc etc. where you dun need to on the running tap