Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Guest melancholic

Is It A Good Idea To Hack Away Existing Bath Tub?

Guest melancholic

I'm looking to make over the master bathroom in my resale condo. One concern we have is that the existing bath tub may just be a white elephant as we would more likely use the shower area rather than the bath tub. And since the shower area is at the corner of the bathroom, it's going to be a bit cramped.

Is it a waste to demolish the bath tub and turn it into the shower area? We intend to remove the existing shower area and extend our vanity all the way, with cabinets.

we're a bit torn... sigh

any advice?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I'm looking to make over the master bathroom in my resale condo. One concern we have is that the existing bath tub may just be a white elephant as we would more likely use the shower area rather than the bath tub. And since the shower area is at the corner of the bathroom, it's going to be a bit cramped.

Is it a waste to demolish the bath tub and turn it into the shower area? We intend to remove the existing shower area and extend our vanity all the way, with cabinets.

we're a bit torn... sigh

any advice?

well, it depends on your budget. U'll need to re-do the wall tiles and flooring (as well as waterproofing) once u hack the bath tub as usually the area underneath and beside the bath tub is bare and without floor or wall tiles. Initially I wanted to hack away the existing bath tub in the MBR bathroom of my resale flat but due to budget constraints we opted to retain it.

Guest melancholic
well, it depends on your budget. U'll need to re-do the wall tiles and flooring (as well as waterproofing) once u hack the bath tub as usually the area underneath and beside the bath tub is bare and without floor or wall tiles. Initially I wanted to hack away the existing bath tub in the MBR bathroom of my resale flat but due to budget constraints we opted to retain it.

Thanks.

Our intention, if $$$ permits .. is to redo the whole MBR toilet (hack the ugly vanity and all the wall and floor tiles) and make it look more like the feel we get at the good hotels (sans the bath tub).

If $$$ no enough, then we considered keeping the bath tub and use it as our bath area, and get rid of the other shower area and the ugly vanity and build a longer vanity with lots more cabinet space. But one thing my wife brought up was how slippery and dangerous bath tubs can be and the extra maintenance (i.e. washing off the tub thoroughly after every bath which means more water wastage, and the need to scrub the bath tub etc.).

Also, we might just stay in this place for a long long time, and can't imagine having to climb in and out of the bath tub when we are in our 50s.. hmm...

sighz

anything is possible, just watch the workmanship on the water proofing. :D

we're a bit torn... sigh

any advice?

If $$$ no enough, then we considered keeping the bath tub and use it as our bath area, and get rid of the other shower area and the ugly vanity and build a longer vanity with lots more cabinet space. But one thing my wife brought up was how slippery and dangerous bath tubs can be and the extra maintenance (i.e. washing off the tub thoroughly after every bath which means more water wastage, and the need to scrub the bath tub etc.).

Also, we might just stay in this place for a long long time, and can't imagine having to climb in and out of the bath tub when we are in our 50s.. hmm...

sighz

that was my concern but $$$ was more important for us so we kept the bath tub. No choice but to climb in and out for our showers but its been a month since we moved in and we are used to it now. As for slippery and dangerous, its can be minimized by placing a piece of non-slip rubber mat inside the tub. Hubby bought it and our kids also climb in and out so its ok. We didnt scrub after each shower and I clean it during the weekends. We merely used a shower curtain.

Edited by hello88

If $$$ permits, my vote is to remove the bathtub lah.

Firstly its a personal thing, I dun like such personal items to be used ones, eg toilet bowls, beds, etc.

Second the slippery surface can really be quite dangerous. I slipped on a non-slip rubber mat before (because never put the suction below properly) and hit my head on the side; the 'baluku' swelling on my head only subside after one week, not forgetting the blue-black on my arms, shoulders and backside as I struggled to break the fall. Painful experience! Can't imagine if a kid or old folk was the one who slip and fell instead of me...

And in long-term, all the more must remove, because if the waterproofing was not done properly, then you will have spend even more $$$ to rectify leakages...

Guest melancholic

Thanks for the advices.

I think I'll probably hack it away.. just got to try to aportion some money for it. More for safety cos I've got 2 boys, aged 2 and 4. Long run, also prob thinking of the water saved cos no tub to soak in. haha

It's a luxury I don't think we need.

But question.. how do I ensure that the water proofing is done properly? None of us know these things...

Sorry, my bad, sometimes its not the waterproofing not done properly but it starts to erode over time. So what I was really trying to say is better to do it all over again.

How to ensure maybe wuga98 can advise... ;P

Thanks for the advices.

I think I'll probably hack it away.. just got to try to aportion some money for it. More for safety cos I've got 2 boys, aged 2 and 4. Long run, also prob thinking of the water saved cos no tub to soak in. haha

It's a luxury I don't think we need.

But question.. how do I ensure that the water proofing is done properly? None of us know these things...

I also hacked away the bath tub and convert it to a bigger shower area and bigger vanity too. It do made the toilet bigger. :D

water proofing would be done by the workers so no worries to that.

water proofing would be done by the workers so no worries to that.

waterproofing got warranty - forgotten how many years liao.

waterproofing got warranty - forgotten how many years liao.

provided the company (or its original name) still around when problem kicks in. :D