Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
oic, sandalwood ok la. but the practice of leaving their doors wide open during the 'fumigation'. is it part of the ritual too? any indian user here can advise please? cos the ritual of bells and chanting is really ok. just concerned about how long i can endure the extreme fumigation. :(

alan26: when we recee the place,its so quiet with a chinese and malay neigbour. was thinking. good liao. can have nice biscut during hari raya to eat and bah-gua during cny to try. but during reno, the malay moved out. hehe. pengz. zhun zhun next door become mini temple. :P

haha u got same problem as me, when we were looking for a flat, we recee the place then surveyed abit...my opposite neighbour facing me used to be a chinese family, their corridor outside veyr clean...my adjacent malay neighbours hung a lot of clothes along the corridor (recently started to hang underwear :furious:) ...but we thought ok since our opposite one is clean then ok le......who knows....during reno, the chinese family moved out....an indian family moved in......then a few days after they started to move in, they too started to hang their clothes outside their unit.....so now my floor looks like kampung.....so pai seh to invite friends to my place....very fed up with inconsiderate ppl....

as for the smoke, i suggest speaking to your neighbour about it.....being religious is one thing...being considerate to your neighbours is another......

hi bro im indian... i also conduct my prayers daily...

but i do the smoke thing once a week.

well what u can do is nicely talk to them.. i mean nicely.

tell them that u or someone in your house has asthma and the smoke affects their breathing.

ask him if its ok to close the door or use less smoke...

P.S. one of my chinese neighbours also burns paper at the staircase landing... i dont mind even paper is more harmful than sandalwood ......

Can't help but giggle at the stories I've read. I too have experience neighbours who burn things.

I'm the only Muslim neighbour and all my neighbours are Chinese , so every other day there's smoke coming

in my hse with no warning,and my nice white curtains will be covered in black soot. Plus me & my son has Astmah.

At the end of the day , we have to accept the fact that we live in a multi racial community and have to

learn to tolerate and respect each other religion. If given a choice of coz I wld live on a landed property , but no enuf $$$$,

and scared to live in big big house. hahha so stuck in HDB flat. hahaha.

my indian neighbour also pray daily.. but she do it fast.. everyday 6pm ring the bell.. open her door and burn incense by 630pm she will complete everything.. the smoke from the incense disappear very fast also..

got used to the smell liao.. :P

HAIZ... no matter whatever religion or race... we should learn to be considerate ba. If it's a adhoc kind of ritual then not too bad.. but monthly,weekly,daily burnings should be done downstairs?

MmMm But my old place (long time ago) used to have those red burning things in the void deck.. I don't see them in my new place now.. do you guys have those?

Wow those people who burn incense paper in the open like grass patch and outside their homes are all brainless people.

Especially during the hungry ghost month.

I used to stay on the 3rd floor and will never ever open my window because of this.

Now moved to new locations on a high floor and in my new location we dont have this inconsiderate people.

sometimes its not easy to understand since we live in HDB flats and in close promixity. so what we can do is to tell the neighbour nicely. if pple also dun listen, then we have no choice rite? maybe install a big fan in front of the main door, and have all the smoke blow back to them, then maybe they will understand in that way?! :P

Not only in HDB, problem also occur in condo. I remember reading article on the Sunday Times.

Even at landed ppty also got problem, the ever famous Everitt Road dispute.

Not only in HDB, problem also occur in condo. I remember reading article on the Sunday Times.

Even at landed ppty also got problem, the ever famous Everitt Road dispute.

Thats very true.

I had these landed houses near my flat in Bendemeer, one of the houses served as a part time temple.

So certain days/month it would get decorated and lots of ceremonies, buffet going on. Parking slots all full.

Also had those Lion Dance troupe practicing in front. Super noisy.

Really pity their next door neighbours. Being landed also no use.

Have to learn to live with it.

During my stay at my previous house, there was this auntie , always dressed like a mamasan.

Regardless of time, she always switch on her TV / Radio full blast , and will open the door.

Her unit is directly opposite mind.

Very cialet. 1 incident that got me real mad was , after I gave birth , I was waiting for the confinement lady to come

by for a massage .She never came , so I thought she forgot. I then found out she actually came , knocking and pressing

my door bell, but I cldn't hear coz of the music blasting from her unit.

So next day , I took ALL my speakers and place it at the front door and played

" Rage against the machine " hahahhahahha

I live on the 11th floor , my hubby cld hear the music from the 1st floor.

After that incident , she no longer played loud music , if she does , she'll close the door. :D

Edited by clockwork

During my stay at my previous house, there was this auntie , always dressed like a mamasan.

Regardless of time, she always switch on her TV / Radio full blast , and will open the door.

Her unit is directly opposite mind.

Very cialet. 1 incident that got me real mad was , after I gave birth , I was waiting for the confinement lady to come

by for a massage .She never came , so I thought she forgot. I then found out she actually came , knocking and pressing

my door bell, but I cldn't hear coz of the music blasting from her unit.

So next day , I took ALL my speakers and place it at the front door and played

" Rage against the machine " hahahhahahha

I live on the 11th floor , my hubby cld hear the music from the 1st floor.

After that incident , she no longer played loud music , if she does , she'll close the door.

:D

hahaha that auntie so inconsiderate. good, you gave her a good piece of your music.

Great! My Indian neighbour sold their flat and HAD just moved away for good.... :yamseng::yamseng::yamseng:

No more smoke from the incense...

No more ringing of bells along the corridor...

(Every day, i'm being woken up religiously, either by the smoke or by the bell)

No more dried flowers along the corridor.

(They used flowers to garnish their God placed above their door,

BUT did not bother to sweep away when the flowers dried, and mess up the common corridor)

No more curry smell lingering in the air...

(even the rubbish chute seems to be polluted by those waste curry)

No more rowdy strangers crowding and smoking along the corridor...

(my neighbour seems very popular, they like to have dozens of visitors every weekend, but these people has got no concern abt intruding others' privacy, they will rudely look / point into your house and leaving behind litters (cigarette butts, sweet wrappers, etc.) after they left

No more slippers clogging up the common passageway...

(sometimes to the extend of right in front of my doorstep)

At the end of the day , we have to accept the fact that we live in a multi racial community and have to learn to respect each other, regardless of race, language or religion. That's why, all these while, i've been really tolerant, so as to achieve happiness, harmony in the neighbourhood.