Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
st002

Rusty Color Stainless Steel Water Pipes?

Few weeks after we changed the waterpipes to so call "stainless steel" pipes, noticed that they start to change into rusty color, surface still smooth, but color is obviously not the same silver anymore.

When we ask the plumber, he said PUB standard is cannot use 100% pure stainless steel? I wonder is this true or he's just using sub-stardard pipes. Thank u.

f_waterpipem_12c3fbb.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Few weeks after we changed the waterpipes to so call "stainless steel" pipes, noticed that they start to change into rusty color, surface still smooth, but color is obviously not the same silver anymore.

When we ask the plumber, he said PUB standard is cannot use 100% pure stainless steel? I wonder is this true or he's just using sub-stardard pipes. Thank u.

f_waterpipem_12c3fbb.jpg

But can use 99.9% stainless steel. Toilet assy in stainless steel use in the bathroom should not be of such low quality. It doesn't make sense, this is really 'cheapo' material. Alternative solution is to de- rust and paint it over. :)

Btw, I'm recommend only copper piping for water pipes. As over the years, stainless steel pipe will still rust. :D

I've checked the PUB website, minimum requirement for water pipe is Stainless steel Alloy grade 304...which is what the contractor is using also (X5CRNI18-10), so can't get him to replace, only can ask him to pain over...Just thought this info will be helpful to others.

Not suppose to paint over stainless steel pipe. Will accerate corosion due to pitting.

Easier to polish. The stains are due to foreign particles stuck to the SS through fumes.

if that is a cold water pipe, what i would do is to use Autosol to polish away the rust, then use clear lacquer spray to spray over to maintain the shine.

if that is a cold water pipe, what i would do is to use Autosol to polish away the rust, then use clear lacquer spray to spray over to maintain the shine.

Hi,

Saw yr thread...wat do u mean by screw up contractor, isit the company name sound quite funny huh...?

Hi,

Try Autosol!

What rusty? Could be cost by rain?

If I am not wrong, if the pipes are wet by rain, and the pipe should use dry cloth to clean dry.

If they just let the pipe wet without drying it, then you will see the rusty pipe like that, but I think u can use autosol to make the stain go away.

Edited by happyharu8

grade 304 is 100% stainless steel ley..

I've checked the PUB website, minimum requirement for water pipe is Stainless steel Alloy grade 304...which is what the contractor is using also (X5CRNI18-10), so can't get him to replace, only can ask him to pain over...Just thought this info will be helpful to others.