Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
goodman123

Any Recommendation On Where To Get The Mattress And Bed Frame?

correct me if I am wrong. the Simmons lady at Robinsons Raffles City told me we can just place a deposit of S$200 to secure the price of mattress, and in the event we change our mind (i.e. don't even want to buy), Robinsons will return the deposit, no questions asked. No deadline, whatever. Sounds like a **** good deal but may be too good to be true? Does any one in this forum has come across such deals?

I just paid $200 deposit to secure 2 simmons mattress. And the sales lady told me the exact same thing and her name is Angie.

How is your experience with them? Did you manage to get a further discount?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi Noobhouse,

Here's my take on the mattress shopping experience, everybody is going to say that their mattress is the best because otherwise you won't give them your hard-earned money.

Below is a quick summary of the popular brands:

King Koil in Singapore is manufactured by Matsu****a Great Wall, they are a licensee only, they don't even use the same logo as King Koil in USA.

Simmons in Singapore is owned by a Japanese company, Simmons in the USA recently went bankrupt and was bought over by another company. Simmons in Singapore is overpriced because their technology is out-dated, you can get the same kind of mattress for half the price by buying a reputable local brand like Four Star.

Serta in Singapore is manufactured in Batam, in the US Serta sells Mira Coil or continuous coil mattresses in Singapore they promote pocketed spring mattresses.

Slumberland sells the same kind of spring as Serta in UK but in Singapore they try to pass it off as pocketed coil as well.

Sealy in Singapore is owned by Sealy Inc. of the US, the product is the same as the US but it is manufactured in Thailand to reduce cost.

The above are the top brands, the other less known brands are going to be even more dodgy.

hi sam,

from your expertise, what brand would you recommend to amatuer like me

I'm going to buy my Simmons mattress from Shaw Plaza at Balestier, 3rd floor.

We went there last Sunday and the salesguy said bed frame is free, which is those on display except for a furry black frame. Most other plcs don't give FOC bed frame, which can cost anything from $199 (Courts) to thousand plus for those with storage.

They have Simmons, King koil and Max coil on display. Simmons there are imported from USA, so the King size ones are bigger, 193cmx200cm.

My hubby and me tried comparing prices but realised that different shops have different names for mattresses, so its difficult.

Dear all,

I am a newbie in buying furniture as both myself and my wife-to-be are looking for furnishings for our new house coming in Mar-10. I must say so far buying furniture here is not quite an easy task, as we started off buying a Simmons lakeview bed mattress at vivo on 23 dec for 2.3k after all rebates and discounts.

This never comes easy as our unprofessional experience comes from King Koll at vivo-city with this sales person called Johnnie. He is so friendly and helpful during our first visit at Vivo promoting a pillow storage bedframe ~1.6k and mattress ~2.5k with a 5% singtel discount. He even urge us to come back on 22-23 Dec at Vivo as there is a store wide 12% rebate for citibank card. Also he mentioned to me that he is very confident to be able to work out a further discount of 10% off the initial 5% singtel discount. We were so impressed and decided to come back again. At the same time we were considering Simmons mattress next to it which is more comfortable after trying and sales person called Kelvin also sound very sincere.

A day later, King Koll's Johnnie called me on the phone and confirmed that he can actually give an additional 28% for the bedframe and mattress. This work out to be 1.6k and 2.5k less 5% singtel less 28% + 12% Tangs rebate = ~1.1k bedframe and 1.7k mattress respectively. I was excited and wrote down the prices on my notebook. We then decided that we will go for the Simmons mattress and Kingkoll frame and drop by Vivo on 23 dec. Apparently we talked to Simmons mattress Salesperson Kelvin first, and he managed to squeeze in additional 5% more on top of all discounts Tang have. At the same time, I talked to Kingkoll Johnnie and ask him to reconfirm the price he called me.

Knowing that we are more or less confirm on the Simmons mattress, he is no longer as friendly as before and quoted a price without any discount. I was shocked as I asked him to double confirmed. Then he mentioned yes, that is the price he quoted. My tone started to turn harsh as I told him that I had jotted down his discounted price over phone and in order not to waste my time, pls for one last time tell me what is the final price. He face started to turn guilty after my angry tone, and began to make call to his manager and eventually telling me only 10% instead of the 28% discount he can give. He then say he make a mistake earlier and the 28% discount is only for the mattress.

I feel cheated and decided not to buy from him anymore. Nevertheless, Simmons mattress damage ~ 2.3k for Beautyrest Lakeview mattress which is very reasonable and comfortable I must say from the show piece.

Conclusion: What a friendly mask but dishonest face!

correct me if I am wrong. the Simmons lady at Robinsons Raffles City told me we can just place a deposit of S$200 to secure the price of mattress, and in the event we change our mind (i.e. don't even want to buy), Robinsons will return the deposit, no questions asked. No deadline, whatever. Sounds like a **** good deal but may be too good to be true? Does any one in this forum has come across such deals?

thanks sam, u're really e man!!! :P ok mor questions if u dun mind.

what's the diff between continuous coil & pocketed spring (this one is out sometime & ppl keep harping on it to sell, i mean

of course it's better than those traditional old type of spring lah. Er Sealy mattress does have its fair share of complaints in e states but sg market any idea? then do u really lie down on e mattress like 15 or 20 mins each bed cause supposedly that's what experts advise, but me being 1st time only lie like 1 or 2 min. :help:

Continuous coil also known as Miracoil is made by having a single wire coiled throughout the mattress, the entire system is connected and interlocked, the supposed benefit is better support but having tried such mattresses I just feel that they are very firm, not very comfortable.

Pocket coil is when every single is supposedly independent. The idea is that there is conformance to your body and motion separation. Usually manufacturers make such mattress very firm to prevent sagging. To make such mattress comfortable manufacturers need to put in soft materials on the surface.

Hi Noobhouse,

Here's my take on the mattress shopping experience, everybody is going to say that their mattress is the best because otherwise you won't give them your hard-earned money.

King Koil in Singapore is manufactured by Matsu****a Great Wall, they are a licensee only, they don't even use the same logo as King Koil in USA.

Simmons in Singapore is owned by a Japanese company, Simmons in the USA recently went bankrupt and was bought over by another company. Simmons in Singapore is overpriced because their technology is out-dated, you can get the same kind of mattress for half the price by buying a reputable local brand like Four Star.

Serta in Singapore is manufactured in Batam, in the US Serta sells Mira Coil or continuous coil mattresses in Singapore they promote pocketed spring mattresses.

Slumberland sells the same kind of spring as Serta in UK but in Singapore they try to pass it off as pocketed coil as well.

Sealy in Singapore is owned by Sealy Inc. of the US, the product is the same as the US but it is manufactured in Thailand to reduce cost.

The above are the top brands, the other less known brands are going to be even more dodgy.

thanks sam, u're really e man!!! :P ok mor questions if u dun mind.

what's the diff between continuous coil & pocketed spring (this one is out sometime & ppl keep harping on it to sell, i mean

of course it's better than those traditional old type of spring lah. Er Sealy mattress does have its fair share of complaints in e states but sg market any idea? then do u really lie down on e mattress like 15 or 20 mins each bed cause supposedly that's what experts advise, but me being 1st time only lie like 1 or 2 min. :help:

ah really ah?? but it's from this thread (post no. 6) that recommended it leh.

harvey norman which branch? & why u say it's indpendent sales staff? not represent mattress company meh?

so if independent staff, their opinions are more neutral?

but being a consumer how would i know wat's market price even before discount? & issit more ex to buy

bedframe separately gosh, i just remembered also, e 4 star guy asked if i use computer a lot, then recommended

me anti static mattress (gosh u mean to say i'll get fried when sleeping?) & anti bed bug mattress then i asked him

e warranty for this anti bed bug thingy (cause i had bad experience with it before) how long, he can tell me it's lifetime (he swear somemore) say what they 41 yrs in e market (then king coil 110 years fake one?) etc...

:horse:

Hi Noobhouse,

mattress i got from harvey norman. very good service and advise from the saleslady there as she doesnt push any brand unlike other shops

bedframe from hommage definately

noobhouse, robinson service is one of the worst. after their many many different discount its still the same price in market haha. only harvey norman have independent sales staff :)

ah really ah?? but it's from this thread (post no. 6) that recommended it leh.

harvey norman which branch? & why u say it's indpendent sales staff? not represent mattress company meh?

so if independent staff, their opinions are more neutral?

but being a consumer how would i know wat's market price even before discount? & issit more ex to buy

bedframe separately gosh, i just remembered also, e 4 star guy asked if i use computer a lot, then recommended

me anti static mattress (gosh u mean to say i'll get fried when sleeping?) & anti bed bug mattress then i asked him

e warranty for this anti bed bug thingy (cause i had bad experience with it before) how long, he can tell me it's lifetime (he swear somemore) say what they 41 yrs in e market (then king coil 110 years fake one?) etc... :horse:

mattress i got from harvey norman. very good service and advise from the saleslady there as she doesnt push any brand unlike other shops

bedframe from hommage definately

noobhouse, robinson service is one of the worst. after their many many different discount its still the same price in market haha. only harvey norman have independent sales staff :)

saw e 3 day promo for mattress @ robinsons so went down to check it out. i tested out couple of the sets advertised & I felt like goldilocks sleeping on the 3 bears' bed. e sales staff were also all out in trying to convince u that their mattress were e best.

e malay lady from simmons was down right uninterested, claiming that their coil count is standardized refusing to say till i probe her & not very pro-active. As i'm a noob, not aware that s'pore don't have comfort warranty like e states where u can test e mattress for 30 days after purchase, it not happy, change.

after that i went on to try king koil & e sales guys were a bit more pro active & polite, providing e info i wanted but not pushy. sealy guy was at least honest in pointing i shouldn't be like e rest of e ppl jumping on e bed to test for movement disturbance & there will be some level of disturbance no matter what. but i not sure if he really meant that e coils are under warranty as well cause they've been heat treated & won't change shape so easily compared to pocketed spring mattress, showed me e sales figure but i just took a glance cause i did tell him i'm aware of e 3 selling brands.

tested out tempur next but e price was simply too ex so just lied there for fun. trying to sell me e product saying it's body contoured etc.

4 star was trying to sell me e idea that their mattress is individual pocketed spring so confirmed no disturbance. the intro me a mattress that when seated down is soft but lie down before mid firm.

of course i din buy in e end, 1 thing e place was super packed & i din really lie down long enough prob 1 min or so. wifey was uncomfortable in lying down to test the mattress & we were also too tired to make a proper judgement.

well they did mention something true that coil count is not the main deciding factor. mmm, what bout coil gauge? or the upholstery? cause if both are side sleepers, we should be looking at mid firmness right? any other advice is appreciated. :(

hihi any experts here got review on king koil's natureal hard core latex collection pocketed spring queen mattress & natureal sleep super pillow top firm pocketed spring queen mattress??? centerpoint having sale right now & thinking of going to cc but it be best if can get some pointer.... thank !!!! zz

u can try Dunlopillow showroom at Trade Hub 21 Boon lay way. So far I have compared prices n it is ok

Thanks for your advise, it save me a couple of hundreds............and I like the way they talk, no force selling

bed frame from furniture mall ex ?

my parents is just looking got frames that is reasonable price, no need fanciful one.

nobody mention V.Hive ?

I find Furniture mall products are normally on the high side. Anyone can still find the same or similar products outside but at lower prices.