Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
curryqueen

Sealing Up Common Corridor Window Allowed?

Hi,

Does anyone know if HDB allows us to seal up the common corridor window with frosted glass or something?

I don't ever intend to open the common corridor windows so I am thinking of removing the windows and placing a whole big piece of glass instead..

Any idea?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Doesn't sound like a problem, just call HDB to confirm?

But you still need metal grills, if not burglars can smash the glass and break in.

Put a big TV console or feature wall and block off the window is much less hassle and more satisfying.

Yah.. I did think abt it, but just can't stand the thought of seeing those windows from the corridor everyday.

So I plan to seal it up and bolt some shelving across the windows to act as grills and a place to display my barang. That way, I get free backlighting for my displays :D

Will probably write to HDB to confirm if it can be done...thanks, all!

Yah.. I did think abt it, but just can't stand the thought of seeing those windows from the corridor everyday.

So I plan to seal it up and bolt some shelving across the windows to act as grills and a place to display my barang. That way, I get free backlighting for my displays :D

Will probably write to HDB to confirm if it can be done...thanks, all!

I finally wrote to HDB last week and after much to-ing and fro-ing, this was their reply:

"Our Technical Department has no objection to your proposed replacement of the louvred windows with fixed glass panels. However, we would like to highlight to you that by doing so, the natural lighting and ventilation to the rooms will be greatly reduced."

So, in other words...can!

I finally wrote to HDB last week and after much to-ing and fro-ing, this was their reply:

"Our Technical Department has no objection to your proposed replacement of the louvred windows with fixed glass panels. However, we would like to highlight to you that by doing so, the natural lighting and ventilation to the rooms will be greatly reduced."

So, in other words...can!

hi

hdb told me b4 cant seal up windows at corridor ; fire escape problem

100% confirmed in writing from hdb can seal up your corridor winddows with glass blocks?

This area seems rather grey...

Better keep the reply from HDB somewhere so if next time they change their mind, u can have the letter to back it up....

hi

hdb told me b4 cant seal up windows at corridor ; fire escape problem

100% confirmed in writing from hdb can seal up your corridor winddows with glass blocks?

Doesn't make sense, as corner units doesn't have windows along the corridor.. and also..some guys install fixed grills on windows along the corridor, thus cant escape from there too. can try debating with them using the above 2 reasons. =D

This area seems rather grey...

Better keep the reply from HDB somewhere so if next time they change their mind, u can have the letter to back it up....

Yah! am definitely keeping the email coz I foresee contractors having problems with this!

Doesn't make sense, as corner units doesn't have windows along the corridor.. and also..some guys install fixed grills on windows along the corridor, thus cant escape from there too. can try debating with them using the above 2 reasons. =D

Same here, I reckoned there's no need to open those grills unless I intend to climb in and out of my windows.

So I installed fixed grills for those windows along the corridor. It's so much flatter and slightly cheaper.