Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Cyberkinetic

Apply Sealer On Homogeneous Tiles Grout Lines?

Having heard and seen white grout lines turning brown/greyish even when it's pretty new, I was wondering if I should apply grout sealer on my new homogeneous tiles which my contractor is arranging for his guys to polish and remove the surface wax.

I figured there's no better time to do it than immediately after the polishing when the tiles is brand new. Used to see the grout sealer in DIY shops but I was over at AMK Hub and Yishun Point's but can't seem to find them anymore.

Can anyone let me know where I can get them? Or is it necessary to apply(my contractor says no such thing-sealers which can keep grout lines white..anyway, i dun wish to talk to him too much... :bangwall: )?

Any advice or suggestion much appreciated. Thanks.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

use davidjones grout sealer. One packet $9 plus, or else you get white cement.. not those putty type.. is cement type. Remember to buy 1 sponge.. those wash car one.. how I do patch my house grouting line.. I apply DavidJones Grout Sealer into my floor than I wet the sponge and brush over it. Later, I mop the floor.

Edited by kewin

Hi Kewin,

thanks for your advice.. may i know where can i get the DavidJones sealer?

Cheers.

use davidjones grout sealer. One packet $9 plus, or else you get white cement.. not those putty type.. is cement type. Remember to buy 1 sponge.. those wash car one.. how I do patch my house grouting line.. I apply DavidJones Grout Sealer into my floor than I wet the sponge and brush over it. Later, I mop the floor.

That's what I found from doing a Google search... I'm assuming that it can be purchased in SG since kewin's based in SG...

Isn't David Jones the departmental store in Australia??

Really got such thing har... hmmm.. anyone else use it before?

Actually just learn that use the white cement and mix with a little water. This is what the tiler use as grouting.

But that's what my concern is... the white cement thingy is porous rite?

I've seen my friend's and sis-in-law's place which are new and I mean literally brand new.. during the first big clean up before they shift in, while sweeping and mopping, the white grout lines all darkened to brown or grey due to the sweeping of the dirt across the grout lines and later on when using a wet mop, it more or less worsened the condition as the dirty water gets stuck. Takes a lot of effort to clean up..

Actually very regret using homogeneous tiles... should've just stick to those ceramic ones with the curved down edges.. my contractor's workmanship is so lousy, i've got tiles which ain't flat with each other and he blames it on tiles... :(

Actually just learn that use the white cement and mix with a little water. This is what the tiler use as grouting.

But that's what my concern is... the white cement thingy is porous rite?

I've seen my friend's and sis-in-law's place which are new and I mean literally brand new.. during the first big clean up before they shift in, while sweeping and mopping, the white grout lines all darkened to brown or grey due to the sweeping of the dirt across the grout lines and later on when using a wet mop, it more or less worsened the condition as the dirty water gets stuck. Takes a lot of effort to clean up..

Actually very regret using homogeneous tiles... should've just stick to those ceramic ones with the curved down edges.. my contractor's workmanship is so lousy, i've got tiles which ain't flat with each other and he blames it on tiles... :(

You are absolutely right, they are porous.

Even before my flooring is completed, I already notice some of the grouts have already turn colour. But I think no choice lah, got to live with it. If you want nice without much grout, then got to go for marble.

Ceramic tiles got their own set of problem. If there is a chipped, it is very obvious because different colour. So there are pros and cons. If the workmanship is too far off and not acceptable, you can asked for retile.

I just visited the site... those areas where they injected the chemical thingy, the grout colour is greyish.. i'm not sure if it's cos still wet from yestersday's work.. but 24hrs leow leh.. sianz.. now got patches of grey grout here and there..

Best thing was that contractor says it's not his fault for the uneven tiles, it's the tiles itself and not the workmanship... ****.. cos i got the tiles from the shop which he recommended and he concurred with our choices before we bought it.

If it's not due to the stupid salary cap rule set by HDB, i'd be able to afford the marble flooring which i really liked.. anyway.. sorry abt it.. just in pretty lousy mood.. wedding's coming up in 2 over weeks and still we can't shift in.. :bangwall:

You are absolutely right, they are porous.

Even before my flooring is completed, I already notice some of the grouts have already turn colour. But I think no choice lah, got to live with it. If you want nice without much grout, then got to go for marble.

Ceramic tiles got their own set of problem. If there is a chipped, it is very obvious because different colour. So there are pros and cons. If the workmanship is too far off and not acceptable, you can asked for retile.

can show us some pic of ur greyish grout?

I just visited the site... those areas where they injected the chemical thingy, the grout colour is greyish.. i'm not sure if it's cos still wet from yestersday's work.. but 24hrs leow leh.. sianz.. now got patches of grey grout here and there..

Best thing was that contractor says it's not his fault for the uneven tiles, it's the tiles itself and not the workmanship... ****.. cos i got the tiles from the shop which he recommended and he concurred with our choices before we bought it.

If it's not due to the stupid salary cap rule set by HDB, i'd be able to afford the marble flooring which i really liked.. anyway.. sorry abt it.. just in pretty lousy mood.. wedding's coming up in 2 over weeks and still we can't shift in.. :bangwall:

Having heard and seen white grout lines turning brown/greyish even when it's pretty new, I was wondering if I should apply grout sealer on my new homogeneous tiles which my contractor is arranging for his guys to polish and remove the surface wax.

I figured there's no better time to do it than immediately after the polishing when the tiles is brand new. Used to see the grout sealer in DIY shops but I was over at AMK Hub and Yishun Point's but can't seem to find them anymore.

Can anyone let me know where I can get them? Or is it necessary to apply(my contractor says no such thing-sealers which can keep grout lines white..anyway, i dun wish to talk to him too much... :bangwall: )?

Any advice or suggestion much appreciated. Thanks.

Just used a product called Mei Feng Ji which is commonly used in China, it has many colors to chose and the advertisement say it will never to be dirty or black,

will let you know the effect several months later.

it is like silicone and easy to do DIY work, the seller say it can be applied on those old houses to renew the grout.

It does not work that way, using white cement wil make the problem worse