Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bbprincess

Good Builders To Do Reconstruction Work

Hi, How do u actually calculate construction coSt? I was quoted $400k to rebuild my inter terrace fm 2200 to 3400sqft, fm 2 storey to 2.5 storey. There are piling involved apparently. So what's the cost/psf?

Generally, I would take the total construction cost divided by the extra area created to compute the cost psf.

In this case, a simple estimate is $400K divide by 2200 sf = $182 psf.

You still have to take into account other cost such as submission fees, professional fees, etc...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi,

I am in the midst of getting quotations from builders for the reconstruction of my inter-terrace house. Can you recommend me the builders you are using. It seems that 400K is a ball park figure to build from a 2 storey to 2.5 storey with a complete hacking of the house. I have so many rebuiders but not sure who to trust. Some can quote just by giving a floor plan while others do not dare to quote unless they go to the site for a viewing. Others need more detailed drawings from BCA to quote. Appreciate if you can pm me the contacts and I would appreciate it. Wow really stress. Work is stress and come back home now is even more stressful. Prefer to stay at work nowadays. :o:o

Hi,

I am in the midst of getting quotations from builders for the reconstruction of my inter-terrace house. Can you recommend me the builders you are using. It seems that 400K is a ball park figure to build from a 2 storey to 2.5 storey with a complete hacking of the house. I have so many rebuiders but not sure who to trust. Some can quote just by giving a floor plan while others do not dare to quote unless they go to the site for a viewing. Others need more detailed drawings from BCA to quote. Appreciate if you can pm me the contacts and I would appreciate it. Wow really stress. Work is stress and come back home now is even more stressful. Prefer to stay at work nowadays. :o:o

Hi,

at least, this stress is a good and rewarding one to have... hopefully you will be happy with your rebuild of your dream home..

good luck.

Hi, How do u actually calculate construction coSt? I was quoted $400k to rebuild my inter terrace fm 2200 to 3400sqft, fm 2 storey to 2.5 storey. There are piling involved apparently. So what's the cost/psf?

I really doubt $400K can do it.

Take note of something called the Provisional Sum, which is the budget allocated for owner specific items, like sanitaryware, aircon brand, selection of tiles. If the Provisional sum is low, then the overall quote will be substantially low. However, surely a landed property is not going to have the same level of finishes as a warehouse right?

I really doubt $400K can do it.

Take note of something called the Provisional Sum, which is the budget allocated for owner specific items, like sanitaryware, aircon brand, selection of tiles. If the Provisional sum is low, then the overall quote will be substantially low. However, surely a landed property is not going to have the same level of finishes as a warehouse right?

Even without provisional sum, 400k divide by 3400sf is 117psf. That's could be a record low for current market pricing. It probably doesn't include a lot of things necessary to move in. I will check very carefully on what is included and be extra careful about a builder who would price low to get the business and then try to 'milk' you later on. Worse still if they don't make money and bail.

Even without provisional sum, 400k divide by 3400sf is 117psf. That's could be a record low for current market pricing. It probably doesn't include a lot of things necessary to move in. I will check very carefully on what is included and be extra careful about a builder who would price low to get the business and then try to 'milk' you later on. Worse still if they don't make money and bail.

Before I started rebuilding my house, I have sourced for many builders and architects to quote. So far, the quotes are in the region of $200 psf onwards, depending on how you calculate "psf". Most would include all areas including void, ledge, car pouch, etc... The actual useful space is actually lesser and therefore the psf is higher.

Hence, it is helpful to know how built in is computed. There are some fixed cost involved in construction and $400K is a very competitive quote even if the builder just build the structure, plaster the wall and help you to install tiles, sanitary wares and lightings. I have neighbours who got very cheap quotes and in the end, the contractor took his money and ran away. Get a performance bond to save guard your interests when the quote given is very low.

Cheers!

I was quoted $650k by ycm before I got this $400k quote fm a small builder.

Seriously my place is 20 yrs old (old but not that old), and for 400k it wid be cheaper to get another place rather than rebuilding, but of cos we love the currently environment.

For 2.5 storey rebuilding, many of the additional space are not very productive space like roof terrace. I actually add jus 1 bedroom.

Kelsiah, my house is currently under construction. I am very happy with the services provided by my PE, architects, ID and builder. You can PM me for their contact info if you are keen.

You can also check out my Facebook page called "Our Living Spaces" where you can find out more about the cost and time needed for rebuilding a house.

Hi

I would like to know the contact number/s of the architect who did ur house. I need all the help I need to start this long journey. Thanks.

Before I started rebuilding my house, I have sourced for many builders and architects to quote. So far, the quotes are in the region of $200 psf onwards, depending on how you calculate "psf". Most would include all areas including void, ledge, car pouch, etc... The actual useful space is actually lesser and therefore the psf is higher.

Hence, it is helpful to know how built in is computed. There are some fixed cost involved in construction and $400K is a very competitive quote even if the builder just build the structure, plaster the wall and help you to install tiles, sanitary wares and lightings. I have neighbours who got very cheap quotes and in the end, the contractor took his money and ran away. Get a performance bond to save guard your interests when the quote given is very low.

Cheers!

Yah agree PSF in itself is misleading. We have to count GFA rather than net saleable GFA. GFA will not include car porch, ledge, etc. For planning purposes $300 psf for GFA is a good estimate. During the process, one could get it at $220 to $260 but add fees, over runs, etc, may end up closer to $300. I find that a large part of the cost will come from materials used (tiles, paint, plaster, water proofing material, windows, roof, etc) so what those to maintain budget (but don't sacrifice quality please, house should stand up for decades!)

Yah agree PSF in itself is misleading. We have to count GFA rather than net saleable GFA. GFA will not include car porch, ledge, etc. For planning purposes $300 psf for GFA is a good estimate. During the process, one could get it at $220 to $260 but add fees, over runs, etc, may end up closer to $300. I find that a large part of the cost will come from materials used (tiles, paint, plaster, water proofing material, windows, roof, etc) so what those to maintain budget (but don't sacrifice quality please, house should stand up for decades!)

Agree with you. You can visit mylivingspaces in facebook to see some of the discussion.

Hi,

Hi RamRam,

I am alo in the mids of planning to upgrade my place. Care to share the list of builders you have gathered? Thanks.

Hi RamRam,

I am alo in the mids of planning to upgrade my place. Care to share the list of builders you have gathered? Thanks.

From my interaction with more than 10 builders, I realised that different builders have different strengths. Some are low cost builders who offer basic design. Even with basic design and simple construction materials, some are quality concious while others were not so concern about quality.

Some builders offer designer kind of house. Very unique and beautiful. However, the price is usually higher as a lot more thinking and planning needs to go into the design of the house. A more uniquely designed house also typically call for more sophisticated construction methods.

I think it is better for you to share about your budget, the type of design that you have in mind and how quality concious are you. When forumers are aware of your needs and expectations, they will be able to better recommend someone that meet your needs.

Edited by leechaorui

From my interaction with more than 10 builders, I realised that different builders have different strengths. Some are low cost builders who offer basic design. Even with basic design and simple construction materials, some are quality concious while others were not so concern about quality.

Some builders offer designer kind of house. Very unique and beautiful. However, the price is usually higher as a lot more thinking and planning needs to go into the design of the house. A more uniquely designed house also typically call for more sophisticated construction methods.

I think it is better for you to share about your budget, the type of design that you have in mind and how quality concious are you. When forumers are aware of your needs and expectations, they will be able to better recommend someone that meet your needs.

Hi,

I'm new to the forums here. I'm looking to reconstruct my inter-terrace to 3 or 3 1/2 stories. 1800 sqft land, will build up to about 3200-3500 sqft. My budget is hopefully 500-600k, but I can spend more if absolutely necessary. The design will be rather simple, no pool or anything, but will need the foundation to be stronger cause the land is reclaimed. As the quality is decent, I'm fine with it cause I'm looking to keep costs low. Would you have any builders who do basic work for a fairly low cost to recommend? Any architects to recommend as well?

Regards,

Sally