Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Querty

Overlay Of Tiles For New Flat

Hello

i'll be moving to a new HDB flat in the coming months. Heard that can overlay tiles in the kitchen & toilet floors & walls. So is overlaying of tiles a good choice or not? how likely is it that the tiles will fall off or pop out? Or is it better to just leave the HDB-provided tiles untouched? Can anyone pls advise?

Thanks

Querty

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hello

i'll be moving to a new HDB flat in the coming months. Heard that can overlay tiles in the kitchen & toilet floors & walls. So is overlaying of tiles a good choice or not? how likely is it that the tiles will fall off or pop out? Or is it better to just leave the HDB-provided tiles untouched? Can anyone pls advise?

Thanks

Querty

if you are ok with the design & color, then keep it as if it really pop up, you still can complain hdb and get it fixed free?. keeping it will prolly save you like 4k or so too. but if you or your partner find the design/color not to your liking. then consider overlaying it or after you move in then regret not doing it. too late liao. only concern is most ppl says that overlay tiles are more prone to getting tiles 'popping'. i overlay all my hdb tiles anyway. was given peachy color. dunno why can't they just give us white. :unsure:

btw, if new cluster of flat that was just completed. i belive if you find any defects. you can approach town council to 'rectify' it. their contractor will come and fix the area concerned & if they deem the area involved is big. think you can actually arrange with him to hack away all the tile then buy your own tiles & retile back @ subsidised rate since TC paying labour? but think need alot of 'hollow' tiles involved for them to legally hack new flat for you. not very sure, maybe others know better, i remember reading it somewhere here vaguely only. ;)

Edited by DoubleJ

Hi,

From my personal experience, HDB supplied tiles is not of good quality. It has a tendency to stain easily and sometimes, flaking. But you should check with HDB whether you can replace them. I think it is better to hack away and replace rather than overlay because if your HDB tiling has problems, it may cause problems after overlaying. At the same time, your flooring level will be higher if you overlay, and this is quite critical in the toilets if you do not want water easily splashing out of them.