Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kueh

How To Clean White Solid Top?

Hi,

Is there anyone facing the same problem as me? My kitchen solid top are turning yellow esp. those at the corner. I don't know why cos its only about half a year since I moved in? I don't do heavy cooking and I wipe them once a while. Too lazy to do weekly maintenance. :P

I tried to use dish washing detergent on it but of no use. Not too sure if other stronger detegents will make it worse? Or corrode the solid top material?

Thanks for any suggestion made... :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

my coll taught me to use Cif n i find it pretty gd. She's been using it on her white solid surface ever since she shifted in to her new place 2yrs back.

use 3M stainless steel spray cleaner.

i'm not kidding. i was been told by the soild top installer to use it for regular maintainence. i didnt believe at first, but again its confirmed by another friend also.

just spray on surface and wipe dry.

wouldn't cif damage your solidtop? was told by my Id not to use cif on it, grr unless he gave me wrong information.

been trying to find something i can use to clean the solidtop after a session of oily cooking.

wouldn't cif damage your solidtop? was told by my Id not to use cif on it, grr unless he gave me wrong information.

been trying to find something i can use to clean the solidtop after a session of oily cooking.

hmm.. so far so gd for me leh. And after wiping with Cif with a wet cloth, the solid top shines. sometimes when unknown spots of stains ended up on my white top, use detergent n normal cloth cannot get rid also. Only managed to do with cif.

i think for normal cooking, just use detergent will do? Its only for those stubborn stains then i will need to dig out the cif. :)

thanks for the information mrspiglet :) will go try it next time my wife cook at home.

@ kueh : also i just remembered kueh, you can actually contact a solidtop company to come to your house to do polishing. although you might want to do it only when you start having a lot of scratches to be more worth it.

Edited by dashingjack

Thanks for all the replies. Will try them...

I tried to use magic sponge and realised that its actually scratched my solid top instead of helping. Not sure if Cif will have the same effect?

Dashingjack,

Does the polishing remove the yellowing? How much would that cost? Maybe I will try it before next CNY when I need to host friends/ family... ;)

Edited by kueh

Thanks for all the replies. Will try them...

I tried to use magic sponge and realised that its actually scratched my solid top instead of helping. Not sure if Cif will have the same effect?

Arh.. i tot magic sponge works wonder.. but its just a pc of sponge, how come will scratch ar?

yep it is suppose to remove all marks. during my renovation, the (sigh) stupid contractor left some newspaper pinned on my solidtop. after a week or so, the paper got stuck (think it was wet) and when removed the ink was imprinted on the solid top. then there were also scratches here and there, so in the end force him to do a polishing at the end of the reno.

from what i heard its like removing a super-thin layer of the solidtop, so not ideal to do too many time but maybe every year for the CNY.

cost wise im not too sure, need to check with my wife, vaguely remembered it wasn't expensive one.

Arh.. i tot magic sponge works wonder.. but its just a pc of sponge, how come will scratch ar?

Perhaps, the magic sponge is like our green color side rough sponge? Cos when I tried to 'polish' 1 stain on my white top, I realised that the stain doesnt go away and worst, more scratches after that...

Perhaps, the magic sponge is like our green color side rough sponge? Cos when I tried to 'polish' 1 stain on my white top, I realised that the stain doesnt go away and worst, more scratches after that...

nope, magic sponge is not those green colour rough sponge.

the magic sponge is the one, with Blue and White Sides. i also used it to clean my White solid surface. one wipe, and the black stain is gone. How come the one is the website pic is so big? the sponge is the standard size

the magic sponge is the one, with Blue and White Sides. i also used it to clean my White solid surface. one wipe, and the black stain is gone. How come the one is the website pic is so big? the sponge is the standard size

the one u bought from Scotch Brite known as Easy Erasing Pad right? The one from the website is those magic sponge...many brands in the market. The original ones is very ex and selling at NTUC. I think its more lasting than those selling for $2. For the Blue and White, its actually very effective to clean the stains in children's cups, bowls and mugs. Really wiped out the stains eg coffee/tea/milo stains.