Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lapena

Miele Washing Machines!

@lapena:

sigh... was upset that they gave different info. It was a rush that day as the wiring was being done, had to make a decision quickly so I went along with the technician as I expected he/she to be the more knowledgeable one with regards to these technical details.

By the time I posted in this thread the 15amp wiring was already done. After reading your reply, I further confirm by checking the miele washer & dryer at Best Denki. True enough, the labels on the machines said 13amp. :(

Now only thing I can do is get my contractor to install a 13amp socket despite the 15amp wiring. Hope won't cause any problem in future. :unsure:

Nevertheless I still look forward to doing laundry using my new machines! Ha!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Question for Miele users:

When I used the Cotton or Minimum Iron or Express wash programme, the clothes were thoroughly soaked but I couldn't see the water level (during main wash). Almost as though it was "dry" washing? Is that normal? I am not used to the idea of washing in this manner... For other brands of front load washer I usually see half the drum is filled with water. For Miele, the only time I saw the clothes items totally submerged in water was for the Lingerie/Silk programme.

hmm.....just wanna express my humble opinion here. not supporting or putting any brand down, but just trying to put some perspective into this.

$3k-$4k for a Miele front-loading washing machine:

1) how long will the machine last?

2) will the clothes washed in it last forever?

3) will the colours of the clothes washed in it never fade?

4) does it use significantly less water per normal wash cycle?

5) does it consume significantly less electricity during each normal wash cycle?

versus

$700-$800 for a typical Jap, Korean or European front-loading washing machine:

Assuming the Miele washer costs $3.5k -> 3500 / 700 = 5.

So for every Miele washer, one can possibly buy 4-5 other similar competing washers. Assuming these similar washers each last an average of 4 years of normal usage, the Miele washer has to last 16-20 years of normal usage. By the 10th year, I'm sure washer technology would have advanced such that it would be rendered obsolete, or at the very least, the new washers would have better features, better technologies, greener technologies, and consume less resources to operate.

Would I then buy the Miele washer? Hmm..... :unsure:

Edited by manutd1972

Question for Miele users:

When I used the Cotton or Minimum Iron or Express wash programme, the clothes were thoroughly soaked but I couldn't see the water level (during main wash). Almost as though it was "dry" washing? Is that normal? I am not used to the idea of washing in this manner... For other brands of front load washer I usually see half the drum is filled with water. For Miele, the only time I saw the clothes items totally submerged in water was for the Lingerie/Silk programme.

It is the intelligent washing rythm taking place.The water usage for miele is so incredibly low, alot of people are not used to it, esp when they have just migrated from a asian top loader. Its because ur cottons are alreadty soaked, it makes use of the lifting of the clothes by the lifter bars to actually induce the rythm effect. Don't worry, the washing rythm is patented, that means ur clothes will come out cleaner, regardless od the amount of water use. however if u r still uncomfortable, u can use the add water function on the side bars as well. If in doubt call the customer hotline, they will b able to answer to ur queries.Hope this helps.

hmm.....just wanna express my humble opinion here. not supporting or putting any brand down, but just trying to put some perspective into this.

$3k-$4k for a Miele front-loading washing machine:

1) how long will the machine last?

2) will the clothes washed in it last forever?

3) will the colours of the clothes washed in it never fade?

4) does it use significantly less water per normal wash cycle?

5) does it consume significantly less electricity during each normal wash cycle?

versus

$700-$800 for a typical Jap, Korean or European front-loading washing machine:

Assuming the Miele washer costs $3.5k -> 3500 / 700 = 5.

So for every Miele washer, one can possibly buy 4-5 other similar competing washers. Assuming these similar washers each last an average of 4 years of normal usage, the Miele washer has to last 16-20 years of normal usage. By the 10th year, I'm sure washer technology would have advanced such that it would be rendered obsolete, or at the very least, the new washers would have better features, better technologies, greener technologies, and consume less resources to operate.

Would I then buy the Miele washer? Hmm..... :unsure:

Hi sir,

To answer ur question, maybe let me clarified that there are customers using a miele for more than 20 yrs, but there are a few lemons as well. So its not a question of lifespan worthiness , by dividing into how many cheap washers can u buy. Miele is all about gentle laundry care, superior built quality, ease of use and environmentally friendliness.

Yes, i believe miele, under normal usage can easily last 20 yrs, or its claims for that will be a laughing stock across the world. People who know this brand synonyms them with quality. It dont come easy, or else , how can they be so independant, family- owned for 111 yrs?Things u threw into a laundry room are not meant to be a fashion statement. They are not ur lumborghinis or bmws, just a washing machine. But why do people who wants quality go for miele? Why not subscribe to ur point of view and buy cheap machines and replace them every yr?

The answer is the same. Quality. Peace of mind that the delicate laundry will come out fine. Less hand-washing of silks, wools . Perfect customer care, the knowledge that all spare parts are guaranteed available for 15 yrs after end of production.Do u know that few brands in the market offer that guarantee? Do u know that all miele machines come with a PC update facility that offers customer an update of programs should a better program or washing rythm be developed in future?

Yes a cheap machine can cost as low as $300 odd. But i doubt u'll be throwing in ur cashmere wool in to wash? u'll be deciding what goes into a washing machine and what can't. Then there are machines that dont break down completely, just that it needs alot of service calls, to replace so much parts untill replacing the faulty parts cost more than the machines that u will replace it with a frown eventually..

In all fairness, i doubt miele is a super machine that will never break down. Its still electrical, anything can happen,, It might be a gd value for some, and not a necessity for some. But do pardon me, its very unfair to and dismissive to equate the best washing machine in the market, with these simple mathematical evaluations on its value.

Good grief, its just an electric appliance, not a religion...... your fervent support of Miele has just turned me off the brand, something I didn't feel before I read through this thread.

Precisely!

No matter how happy one is with any particular brand or machine, one should be aware of the many possible perspectives as well as individual preferences out there. One should not promote one's preferred choice without considering the merits of others.

Hi sir,

To answer ur question..........

............anything can happen,, It might be a gd value for some, and not a necessity for some. But do pardon me, its very unfair to and dismissive to equate the......

......best washing machine in the market, with these simple mathematical evaluations on its value.

If one were to read my comparison carefully, nowhere did I put down the Miele washer. Rather, I was merely pointing out another route of decision-making that some consumers may take or consider. And in truth, I would also pursue this course of purchasing action versus paying $4k for a washer that theoretically could last me 20 years. Yes, I would rather go through 3-4 machines during the course of that 20 years, than be using the same washer for the whole 20 years.

In fact, who is to say that the other brands won't last 20 years? My very first washer, a Hoover, lasted me 10 years, in which I had moved house 3 times, each time without using the attached bolts to secure the drum in place before moving. It would have lasted longer had my 4th residence not already have a washer and had no space for a 2nd washer. I donated my Hoover to the Salvation Army and their guys who came to collect it even asked if I was sure I wanted to donate it. They had commented that its condition was still so good, they were sure I could continue to use it for a few more years. Mind you, I'm the lazy type. I don't clean, wipe down, or maintain most of my appliances. And I had paid only $1k for the Hoover.

So assuming it only lasted me 10 yrs, and a Miele lasts 20 yrs, I would have gone through 2 Hoovers, costing me $2k. Still, I would have saved $2k overall. Would I want to do that? Certainly!

As for being gentle with the clothes put into the washer, many other brands also have gentle wash programmes where silk and other exotic materials can be put into the wash and come out clean, and un-damaged.

Your assertion that the Miele is the BEST washer shows that you are already biased. How can one claim that something is the best without considering the various standards of measurement? On what basis is the Miele the best?

If the standard used is price, then the cheapest washer is the best. If the standard used is physical size, then the biggest washer is the best. If the standard used is capacity, then the washer which has the heaviest washing capacity is the best. If the standard used is the quantity of water used per normal wash cycle, then perhaps the Miele is the best, judging by the question raised by one of the users here. So on and so forth.

Therefore, my good sir, I stand by my comparison and my earlier assertion that I am neither promoting nor putting any brand down. Merely, putting across another perspective. One which is just as valid, I believe.

Your vehement support for and assertion that the Miele is the BEST washer, without due consideration given to the merits of other washers or to the possible perspectives of other consumers, leads one to wonder if you are not just a Miele user, but also a Miele staff.

Edited by manutd1972

there is honda, toyota, vw, suzuki but there are ferraris and lambos. Personally, i want to get a miele washer and dryer, even though it is much more expensive. I am sold on the honeycomb tub wash and the reliability (especially the dryer).

Hi, I am a Miele user myself. Not speaking from pure theory but real life experience which I want to share with everyone. Let ur own mind decide for u if it is worth to throw in that 4k.

Product : June this year, my miele washer (active care package) honeycomb drum got a big dent inwards when washing my bed sheets. Apparently, mile claimed that it was due to a $1 coin lodge into e outer drum and inner drum. Frequency wise, I do my washing 2 times a week and this problem happened b/w 53 and 54 week. Problem arises after a total of 108 washes only!!!....actually lesser as my wife and meyself were away on holidays for about 1.5 mths..

Nice part is that the head of customer svc told me that we need to remove all coins for mile machines. She is kinda proud to say that her maid does that for her for every wash. I don't have a full-time maid but a part time domestic helper rather, maybe it's in the fine prints I need to buy a maid as well to use miele :) pardon the pun.... Anyway, I have been doing my own washing for the past 30 years so not new to front loaders. When it comes to washing, I believe most of us will try to remove coins but sometimes we will miss out one or two. For my case, a total of 6 coins are found in the filter for my case for 108 washes. To me, it's abt the best I can do, maybe u guys can do better.

My personal conclusion, Miele washer cannot handle coins well, pls ensure all coins are removed before using. No problems for my previous washers with more humble price tag. Repair costs set me back at 500 after they said they will waive off the labour.

On the brights side, Honeycomb and washing program is pretty good I must say for washing normal wear. Anyway, all our expensive clothing r sent for dry washing.

Service Quality : When I first call the customer svc line, the customer svc mgr told me that within the same mth, they can still cover under warranty. I was happy at first. When the svc tech came to my house, he reported the damage back via phone, next came the story of, 'eh the warranty doesn't cover user fault'. During this time, I heard him talking in hokkien and apparently who ever over the other end seems to have concern over the costs of replacement. This gives me the impression that they r trying to shift the costs to the customer.

Next came the customer svc pole calling me to say that oh, that is due to user fault so can't cover. The story is pretty inconsistent when i asked further questions. Next, the head of customer svc called me and mentioned the above, at the end of the call, I am more pissed than before.

They then send me their engineer to talk to me, this chap is quite nice but at the end of the day, I am only 1/2 convinced that it is due to the $1 coin. Anyway, not to waste my own time over these calls, I just go ahead to authorized the repair.

My personal conclusion, when u buy a merc, I expect the product and customer svc to behave like one C&C has not asked me to pay for some faults during warranty all these years. True, electronics and mechnical parts failed at times, but the customer svc experience with miele leaves much to be desired.

On the bright side, they arranged a loan washer to tie over this period. This I must give credit for.

After this repair, if it breaks down again due to whatever reasons, the miele is gonna be out of the house.

Okie, hope this experience sharing is good for those seeking opinions. Draw your own conclusions and decide if u want to put down that hard earned $4000+. Good luck :)

Actually all front- loaders are not supposed to handle coins, screws and sharp objects.. Whether its a miele or any other brands. The previous experiences where nothing happened, i can only constitute them to luck. And i guess the warranties really do not cover user faults.

However i am dishearten to hear of ur bad experience with the customer service, and i fully agree that if u buy a pricey product, a fully satisfactory after-sales service is a must.

If one were to read my comparison carefully, nowhere did I put down the Miele washer. Rather, I was merely pointing out another route of decision-making that some consumers may take or consider. And in truth, I would also pursue this course of purchasing action versus paying $4k for a washer that theoretically could last me 20 years. Yes, I would rather go through 3-4 machines during the course of that 20 years, than be using the same washer for the whole 20 years.

In fact, who is to say that the other brands won't last 20 years? My very first washer, a Hoover, lasted me 10 years, in which I had moved house 3 times, each time without using the attached bolts to secure the drum in place before moving. It would have lasted longer had my 4th residence not already have a washer and had no space for a 2nd washer. I donated my Hoover to the Salvation Army and their guys who came to collect it even asked if I was sure I wanted to donate it. They had commented that its condition was still so good, they were sure I could continue to use it for a few more years. Mind you, I'm the lazy type. I don't clean, wipe down, or maintain most of my appliances. And I had paid only $1k for the Hoover.

So assuming it only lasted me 10 yrs, and a Miele lasts 20 yrs, I would have gone through 2 Hoovers, costing me $2k. Still, I would have saved $2k overall. Would I want to do that? Certainly!

As for being gentle with the clothes put into the washer, many other brands also have gentle wash programmes where silk and other exotic materials can be put into the wash and come out clean, and un-damaged.

Your assertion that the Miele is the BEST washer shows that you are already biased. How can one claim that something is the best without considering the various standards of measurement? On what basis is the Miele the best?

If the standard used is price, then the cheapest washer is the best. If the standard used is physical size, then the biggest washer is the best. If the standard used is capacity, then the washer which has the heaviest washing capacity is the best. If the standard used is the quantity of water used per normal wash cycle, then perhaps the Miele is the best, judging by the question raised by one of the users here. So on and so forth.

Therefore, my good sir, I stand by my comparison and my earlier assertion that I am neither promoting nor putting any brand down. Merely, putting across another perspective. One which is just as valid, I believe.

Your vehement support for and assertion that the Miele is the BEST washer, without due consideration given to the merits of other washers or to the possible perspectives of other consumers, leads one to wonder if you are not just a Miele user, but also a Miele staff.

Dear Sir, I'm only stating my opinion on the matter, and my opinionated based judgement that miele are the best around is also just that. I'm sorry that my fervour for miele has so offended u like so many others before u. I dont think the crux of the matter is whether im a miele employeee, just because i loved the washers so much, but whether the arguments that paying so much for a miele is worth it.

In an opinion-based forum, im just stating the reasons y i think miele is the best currently in the market. I derived alot from forums like moneysavingexpert.com and washerhelp.co.uk

The technicians over there have rated miele as the best washing machine brand to buy unbiasly, so they must be miele employees as well?The case is that in the UK, some ppl find external repairs on their faulty appliances, and there is a body to regulate that. In fact washerhelp should hate miele because they can't repair miele washers as miele has did a synchronisation on their machines so that no external repairman can do repairs except miele's own technicians. But in concluding that they hate this practice, they acknowledged that Miele is still the only manufacturer to build a really quality washing machine, not engaging in price wars with other manufacturers to sell a cheaper washer, ultimately buying each other out in an eventuality that alot of brands are owned by the few same companies. Maybe u can check out this article..http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/reviews/miele-overview.html

On the question that whether im a miele employee or not, i shall just leave it to ur own conclusions..

Actually all front- loaders are not supposed to handle coins, screws and sharp objects.. Whether its a miele or any other brands. The previous experiences where nothing happened, i can only constitute them to luck. And i guess the warranties really do not cover user faults.

However i am dishearten to hear of ur bad experience with the customer service, and i fully agree that if u buy a pricey product, a fully satisfactory after-sales service is a must.

Attribution to luck is only an avenue when I cannot find a is logical explanation. :)

First of all, I don't think anyone will deliberately put a lot of coins into a $4000 washer. For normal usage, missing one or two coins here an there is not a likely case? As to ur reply that front loaders cannot handle ANY coins at all, i cannot agree fully as i don't have problems with other brands for the past 30 years :)......Then i must be a very lucky person with 2x electrolux and a Brandt, ave of 8 to 12 years.

My mem is not the best, can't recall for all 3 but I remembered the last electrolux had a whole bunch of coins numbered around 50-60 when i disposed of it after 8 yrs, from 1c to $1 and diff currencies, average of 6 to 7 coins per year and similarly 6 coins r also found in miele. On the average the number of coins other washer handle on an annual basis is abt the same, ie equal playing field.

Next we check on timeline. Asking around my colleagues and close friends, total of 270+ years of using front loaders with humble brands don't have this prob with coins. I am the only one having this prob and using miele for just 1yr with ard 108 washes. Everyone is lucky over a total period of 270+ years, how likely will that be? :)

The conclusion I can draw is that miele cannot handle coins as well as other brands - I don't agree that all front loaders cannot handle ANY coins at all but should b good enough for the occasional ones that we missed. The other things r bat the same and unique differentiators will b the honey comb design and price - as a wealth statement.

Edited by Sunmulin

It is the intelligent washing rythm taking place.The water usage for miele is so incredibly low, alot of people are not used to it, esp when they have just migrated from a asian top loader. Its because ur cottons are alreadty soaked, it makes use of the lifting of the clothes by the lifter bars to actually induce the rythm effect. Don't worry, the washing rythm is patented, that means ur clothes will come out cleaner, regardless od the amount of water use. however if u r still uncomfortable, u can use the add water function on the side bars as well. If in doubt call the customer hotline, they will b able to answer to ur queries.Hope this helps.

Thanks lapena! I knew Miele washer is water-efficient but had no idea it works this way. :)

HI,

I am looking for a new front load washer and dryer for our newly renovated flat.I have narrowed the choices to 2 brands, Miele and Bosch.

Miele

Washer: W1914

Dryer T7944

Price :$3880(package)

Bosch

Washer: WAS28448ME Logixx for allergy Relief

Price:$1699

Dryer: WTS86515BY

Price:$1599

Total cost: $3298

Could anyone provide any insight or advice please? Which is 'better'? What are the pros and cons for both?

Looking for reviews here on washing machines as I am looking for a replacement with the latest washing functions..

Have been doing some research on brands and models and wish to share and get others' opinions..

The Japanese and Korean brands seem to have made some really good advances in technology. Their models seems to be loaded with the latest in technology and functions like hand wash, anti wrinkle, steam, and they look really good too.

I could afford one of those expensive German ones if I want, but after some consideration, I really doubt any machine could really last 20 years as claimed for example, by Miele. Mechanic parts and motors will start to wear out starting from 5 years onwards, regardless of brand or build. But for a Miele you have to pay 8 to 10 times the cost of a good Asian brand which from experience last at least 8 to 10 years.I would not mind to get a replacement after 8 years and get one with the latest technologies and functions than to live with an old one that cost a few bombs.

Ya, don't think it is something that I would want to make a big investment on. Maybe another German or European brand like Bosch or Electrolux who seem to be priced like the Asian brands.

Probably rather spend on a curved UHD big screen TV - no moving parts and more likely to last more than 20 years... haha

Please share your experience and advice.