Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
victor

Is It Necessary To Shift Electrical And Water Meter To The Gate For Landed House?

Are u doing A&A works? If there is no new water or electrical submissions then those depts do not have to come for inspection. Where are the actual physical meters now? If already dismantled, then no choice.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
57 minutes ago, Topline said:

Just heard from a contractor I cannot keep the meter insider the house and must move it out so the SP/ PUB can access it freely ... anyone heard about such a thing? Apparently it is because some of the components (pipes?) belong to SP/ PUB. I always thought it is your choice whether to move the meter out to face outside but not the law requiring me to do so. If SP/ PUB wants to check, they can ring my bell and I let them enter .... is that actually not allowed by law?

Best is call SP and PUB to check. The meters does belong to the respective agencies and not you. Technically anything after the meters are yours and before belongs to the agencies. 

my in-laws place has the electrical meter outside but water meter inside. What I heard was my FIL didn’t want to pay for relocation of water meter hence it was left inside as it was original during their A&A 20 years ago. 

Anyway, extract from PUB handbook 

For new private landed housing developments, standard meter compartment as shown in Figure 2, shall be provided at the gate pillars. For renovation projects involving construction or reconstruction of gate pillars, customers are strongly encouraged to include this standard meter compartment at the gate pillars.

so the answer is not needed unless you do a total rebuilt of the house

I have a small simple terrace house. Not rebuilding, just intending to upgrade aircons and moving towards induction cooking in the future,  and providing for future electric car charging.

Currently I have a single phase 60A supply, meter box is within the house compound.

Based on all the appliances/induction/heater/aircon that I plan to have, I only need to upgrade to single phase 100A. 3 phase would be overkill.

1. How do I upgrade to single phase 60A to100A?

2. Will I need to relocate the meter box to the gate pillar if upgrade from single phase 60A to 100A?

3. Supposing the meter box does not need to be relocated, will I need to dig up the driveway to lay a new 100A cable? Or can the existing 60A cable in my compound be used and basically SP changes the connection on their end?

1 hour ago, Dane said:

I have a small simple terrace house. Not rebuilding, just intending to upgrade aircons and moving towards induction cooking in the future,  and providing for future electric car charging.

Currently I have a single phase 60A supply, meter box is within the house compound.

Based on all the appliances/induction/heater/aircon that I plan to have, I only need to upgrade to single phase 100A. 3 phase would be overkill.

1. How do I upgrade to single phase 60A to100A?

2. Will I need to relocate the meter box to the gate pillar if upgrade from single phase 60A to 100A?

3. Supposing the meter box does not need to be relocated, will I need to dig up the driveway to lay a new 100A cable? Or can the existing 60A cable in my compound be used and basically SP changes the connection on their end?

1. get an LEW to do the design of the electrical system for your house and do the submission to SP. you will need to pay SP a fee for them to dig up the public road and pull a new cable to your house. a new meter and circuit breaker will also be installed for your house as well if the existing ones can't be reused.

2. check with your LEW and SP. it is unlikely that you will be asked to relocate the existing meter box

3. it is unlikely your existing 60A cable can be reused for 100A as the current carried by 100A is much higher and your existing cable may overheat and burn. so you will need to engage a contractor to dig up the driveway to do the connection. unfortunately old houses do not have underground cable conduits/pipes like what is mandatory now so the cable is simply buried in soil underground.

one option for you is to write in to SP to enquire on this so that someone could come over to your place to check on the existing cables and such. from there, you can have a better idea of what you need to do in order to get the 100A for your house.

Actually have you considered a three phase 63A system?

More than enough for most homes.

Do get that LEW, and also get a light and power point at the gate and a socket for a future electrical car.

3 minutes ago, petetherock said:

Actually have you considered a three phase 63A system?

More than enough for most homes.

Do get that LEW, and also get a light and power point at the gate and a socket for a future electrical car.

this will incur more cost as internal DB needs to be changed and wiring reconfigured to split the load between the 3 phases.

there are electrical car chargers which can be run on a 13A supply though these will not charge as fast as a charger running on 32A

IMO, if TS is going to consider a reno, the three phase system is more stable.. YMMV..

I built a 32A socket for the car, just in case. I also added another for a solar system even though I have neither.. just in case..

Hi my meter box has already been upgraded and is already at the gate. However, I need to widen my gate, so I need to shift the meter by about 2.5meters. Does it still cost $6k for the PUB submission ?

1 hour ago, punkymimi said:

Hi my meter box has already been upgraded and is already at the gate. However, I need to widen my gate, so I need to shift the meter by about 2.5meters. Does it still cost $6k for the PUB submission ?

Unfortunately you'll be at the mercy of authorities as they are the only one to quote you the charges. This is excluding the construction of your meter compartment post / column (ie: I assume your's is the conventional brick / concrete compartment with aluminum glass opening).

The culvert will be another consideration for LTA (if I'm not wrong) submission. Culvert is the public drain portion where your vehicle enter the gate.

10 hours ago, punkymimi said:

Shifting your gate will involve rerouting all your services which are in the meter box. This is not only electricity but also water and maybe telephone as well as the optic fiber termination box. Not sure if you have gas pipe or not. 

so you will need to call sp services(electricity), PUB(water), Singtel and netlink trust to check on the cost. 

then you will also need to redo all the various services from the meter box back into your house. 

Also you will need to engage a LEW and licensed plumber to do all the submissions for you. 

somehow I think SP will charge you the full fees for shifting as they will need to open up the road to realign your underground cable or maybe pull a new one to your new meterbox location

5 hours ago, snoozee said:

Shifting your gate will involve rerouting all your services which are in the meter box. This is not only electricity but also water and maybe telephone as well as the optic fiber termination box. Not sure if you have gas pipe or not. 

so you will need to call sp services(electricity), PUB(water), Singtel and netlink trust to check on the cost. 

then you will also need to redo all the various services from the meter box back into your house. 

Also you will need to engage a LEW and licensed plumber to do all the submissions for you. 

somehow I think SP will charge you the full fees for shifting as they will need to open up the road to realign your underground cable or maybe pull a new one to your new meterbox location

On top of everything in snoozee's post, you will required to submit to URA, NPark, LTA, Drainage Department, as this affects the entrance culvert, entrance kerb, turfing / trees on the planter strip outside your property. Set aside budget of $50K at least for all endorsement, submissions including the physical works.