Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
speedjpop

Con-man In Admiratly?!?! Request $$ For Sick Daughter In School...

Dear Sembawang home owners,

I wld like to share an incident with you guys. If yr family members or yrself encounter this before, kindly HIGHLIGHT! Crime Prevention is our duty!

On my off-day resting @ home at abt 1030am, a man in his 40s wearing blue checked shirt, blue jeans & brown leather shoes knocked on my door. Speaking good english, said that his daughter is very sick in Canberra Secondary school (Its a wkday, normal school day) and wishes to borrow $$ to send her to hospital. Also said that he IS my neighbour living at XX floor and even gives me a unit number ---> One which doesn't exist in my block.

I thought that him, being panic, gave the wrong unit number. But me having never see him before in this area before decided to probe more. Saying that school can and must send his daughter to hospital in the case of ER. At the hospital, there is no CASH first and treatment LATER rules. After hearing this, he kept silence. Then I suggested calling up the school to enquire more ---> Actually i was going for my camera-phone to snap his pic. Then he changed the subject saying he needs $$ to take taxi to school. Instead, I proposed that I DRIVE him to school. Before I can snapped a pic, he said he didnt wish to bother me and left quickly.

I was in a catch-22 situation. Real vs phony, and a life is involved if real. What wld have happened if one of my elderly had answered and how wld they respond to this situation? Hows wld yrs??

I wldn't know the end-game. My only regret was not being able to convince him to take a ride in my car --> To either school/hospital or police station.

Pls do share yr incident if you deem its needed.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Its a common ploy, I encountered one case when I was staying in whampoa in the evening where this indian girl brought the baby along and asked for $10 to send the baby to KKH. She claims hubby is still working hard to earn enough money before can come back so ask us for help and then will return us.

I stayed there for over 30 years and haven't seen this indian family before in my block lol so I asked to go with her to her unit and look see. The indian young lady keeps giving excuses...before I wanted to close the door, my old mum being so kind hearted quickly poke a $10 note out so the indian lady grab and walked off....

My mum keeps saying aiya poor thing, even if not real just a small sum only.

But imagine one block 15 floor 3 seperate wings, each $10, thats about $150x3 = $450 easy money in one night of operation.

There is also one case I came across in Sembawang. Two delivery man claimed that they have carried extra stock of sound systems. Claimed that they cannot deliver back to the store as their manager will eat that extra stock. So they would rather sell it to anyone and keep the extra money. They claimed that the sound system is very good n the retail price is selling about $500 but they willing to let go at $300. They even show a car magazine which that system's retail price is published in. They claimed they can issue a company receipt but then if there is any problem just call them dun call the company for warranty. They say can call the company to check out the price. I find it fishy so i said u go find other ppl.

There is also one case I came across in Sembawang. Two delivery man claimed that they have carried extra stock of sound systems. Claimed that they cannot deliver back to the store as their manager will eat that extra stock. So they would rather sell it to anyone and keep the extra money. They claimed that the sound system is very good n the retail price is selling about $500 but they willing to let go at $300. They even show a car magazine which that system's retail price is published in. They claimed they can issue a company receipt but then if there is any problem just call them dun call the company for warranty. They say can call the company to check out the price. I find it fishy so i said u go find other ppl.

I've got someone offer free to me before... even more fishy...

And I met the common case of needing to travel 2x already... both times were kind and maybe naive?!

The case highlighted by simpleguy80 was highlighted in hardwarezone forum, can go there check it out. Those guys will try sell Orix brand speakers. And in that forum there is a long list of people living down their names and amount of $ they got conned. Think our tv also tried to like setup a trap on this guys.

Talking about this kind of con, my friend also met before this Malay couple asking for money saying they need some $ to take cab to bring their sick baby to hospital.Indeed got the wife there holding baby. It happened in Yew Tee. Think they ask for like $10 or something. My friend felt pittiful and I think he just gave a $50, cant really remember the amt. So aft hearing the story by other forummers, not sure if what happened to my friend is a genuine or a con? Think only God knows......

for your infor, if emergency, school will call ambulance immediately and handle all procedures directly and at the same time contact the next of kin of the students to go to the hospital. no payment for ambulance or any kind is needed at this point. some of the school will foot the ambulance bill. if not the bill from the hospital will be mailed to your address in later date.

my hb also ever encounter ppl asking him want to buy sound systems at carpark but hb say no and maybe hb got 'pai kia' face look (born like that, hb also say bo bian... :D ) , they quick walk off and drive vy away fast :D btw, they drive a van and they r Malaysians coz of their accent. Beware, there r many of this type of con-men. Don't expect to pay cheap price for premium products and premium products don't sell in this way coz this will damage their reputation also. One gd way is find out their company name and say, "Wah, so coincidence, my brother is the manager working in this company, let me try to call him to see if he want to buy... "

juz joking, but do be vy careful as these con-men ususally target single man (meaning being alone without another person), so have to be careful they may physical attack. So guys, be vy alert and careful coz some may attack and rob you. this happen in JB accordingly to my colleague whose a Malaysian. his friend kana in JB even though he is Malaysian. Also, never invite such ppl to your hm, they may attack and rob you. Eg. they offer you free things and tell you that they have to go to deliver the items to your hm and ask you to bring them, never never accept. they r ready to rob you.

ppl who knock and ask for $ is another kind. my mum being soft hearted will only give $2 no matter hw much they ask for. she will tell the person that $2 is enough to eat 1 meal, then she will shut the door. as for me, i will ask if i can follow them to their hse or send them to the hospital etc. which i know they will walk away when i say that.

there is 1 blind uncle who sells biscuits and snacks around my hse area for many years. he is a genuine handicap and earn a living by his capability. he will sell these snacks in the evening time and sell lucky sweep in the day time at an allocated area. for him, i give willingly coz, 1st of all, we know him. 2ndly, he always insist only taking the right amt of $ for the snacks / big sweep he sells and he don't want to accept anything extra. he told us that he only can't see but not handicap, so he can still work for his living and don't need ppl to give $. He say if we got extra $, juz help him buy some more snacks will do and he will be vy happy. And he wouldn't insist or pester ppl to buy his things if ppl don't want. I admire his courage as he is really blind and going everywhere by himself, not those whose is followed by another healthy person. But this uncle is getting on age already and sometimes my brother will help to bring him downstairs as the lift doesn't go to ground floor.

this is 'can er bu fei' spirit.

Leen,

gd write-up. Thanks for sharing.

Simplyguy80,

I encountered a simpler case abt 2 yrs back in a carpark while waiting for my gf. They will park their van IN FRONT of my car, open up the side door and quote the same story. Talk lots of BS and are pessitance!! Even when i show them the 'walk-to-my-palm' gesture, they still kept BSing. So pissed up that I call the police. Really called! Called the hgg police station and not the ER 999, i always have several distrist's PS number in my phonelist just in case. Reported the incident right in front of their face, on speaker phone. And said out their van no. plate out loud. They called me ah xiao and left immedialty. Gave a brief statement to the officer who answered my call but they say they will not investigate since there's no injury. Expected that too.......

Leen,

gd write-up. Thanks for sharing.

Simplyguy80,

I encountered a simpler case abt 2 yrs back in a carpark while waiting for my gf. They will park their van IN FRONT of my car, open up the side door and quote the same story. Talk lots of BS and are pessitance!! Even when i show them the 'walk-to-my-palm' gesture, they still kept BSing. So pissed up that I call the police. Really called! Called the hgg police station and not the ER 999, i always have several distrist's PS number in my phonelist just in case. Reported the incident right in front of their face, on speaker phone. And said out their van no. plate out loud. They called me ah xiao and left immedialty. Gave a brief statement to the officer who answered my call but they say they will not investigate since there's no injury. Expected that too.......

But i thought that is regarded as a case of selling things on the street without a license.

Hi Everyone,

I also share a case so that every one can beware.

Last week at circuit road, near to a bus stop, a lady approach me for money to take taxi, say that something happened to her son in school, ask me to give her the contact and when she sees her husband will give back me my money. I tried to be kind and offered her $10. She said not enough but grapped my money anyway. I walked away as she kept asking for more.

Feeling curious, I crossed and stood opposite the road near the multi-storey carpark and watched. True enough, after the batch of people from the bus-stop left, she started asking all over again!!

Please take note this lady has dark complexion, panda eyes and short hair. God bless her.

wah thanks all, for the info. so many con-man with sob stories nowadays! i wonder if most of them are FTs....eeee got hands got legs dun want to go and find job. go around cheating people.